Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit new to the forum, just registered today. I've been reading these forums for months and months. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has purchased a Prius from the Hartford, CT area, or even the Red Bank, NJ region.

I'm looking for some recommendations of dealerships around those areas. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't have any local recommendations, as I bought mine in upstate NY. (And I don't mean "north of Albany" upstate, I mean "30 minutes from Canada" upstate)

(If you *are* willing to drive 12 hours round trip to get one, though, TJ Toyota in Potsdam, NY was great.)

I would, however, avoid Hoffman Toyota. Oil overfilled and then claimed it's "normal". I also hear they are charging over MSRP.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought mine at Middletown Toyota and have had good service.
The car was always ready at the time they promised and at the price quoted. Sometimes I know more than they do about TSB’s thanks to this forum, but in general they have been very good.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey,Bryan, I too have been lurking in this wonderfully informative site since before thanksgiving of '04 and just today decided to register to be able to respond to both of your postings (this & the long waitlist one) at the same time. We don't live that far apart and I assume you've been visiting Lynch Toyota.Yes, they have a long wait. Back in Nov. '04 it was 2.25 years(if ordered then you could expect to see your car around Feb. '07--I hear it's a little over a year now). Hartford Toyota could get me one in 6 mos. but only if I paid them MSRP+$5,000. Went to Gale Toyota in Enfield:they cashed my $500 dep. check immediately & used the money for 5 mos. but did offer me 3 cars @ MSRP that weren't what I ordered(said that I'd never see the one I wanted so take what they offered or forget it). So I went to Balise in W. Springfield,Mass.(MSRP & they promised they could get me what I wanted, & sure enough in 6 wks. they delivered what they promised. Great people there! I'm going to their customer appreciation/new owner event tonight(Wed. Sept. 14) at 6:15PM. I can take you in my Prius (or you can follow) and meet my terrific sales person & other staff at their dealership (maybe even place your order too). I'll leave from Chicago Uno's parking lot (across from Appleby's) between 5:00 & 5:15 if you can make it. I hope you see this in time. I'm new at actually doing things on the computer so it has taken me a while to collect & condense my thoughts & type this (by single-finger hunt & peck method). Keep in touch.
Ken in Bolton.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A1 Toyota in Amity off of exit 59 of the Parkway ( First exit after the Hamden tunnel ) Paid MSRP and recieved it 1 week after I ordered it in Feb. 05.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was one of 2 dozen people who gave Gale Toyota $500 to "hold" a 2006 Prius for them. Interesteing that while I was there, a gentleman was picking up a Prius "because he was flexible and someone else was not".

I've talked to my salesman since then and had another interesting conversation. He told me that anyone who says they are ordering me a Prius is lying to me bescause it doesn't work that way with the Prius. They get cars in and match them up to the people on their waiting list. They just get a car in and start at the top of their list and start calling until someone wants to take it.

Thanks for the advice on Balise. They're much closer to me anyway. I don't know where Bolton is, but I would have loved to have taken you up on that offer. If there's anyone else anywhere near the Stafford Springs area that could offer me a test ride, I'd be thankful. I haven't even been able to find one to test drive since they're sold before they arrive.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, MRMOTH1,
I don't have a lot of free time to help anybody with test drives though I would like to to help promote the hybrid movement. It appears that Lynch Toyota in Manchester Ct.(the one Bryan probably talked to with the long waiting list) has a TRAC car (rental) that they may use for test drives. It is always sitting under their carport with plates on it. I don't know what Balise has on its lot for test driving, but they have been getting 5-7 cars a month for their allotment. If you go to Balise, ask for Frank Goodyear and tell him I sent you. He's absolutely great to work with! All for now.

Ken in Bolton(which is between Manchester, Vernon, & Coventry).

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, MRMOTH1,
No, no trouble at all. All they wanted to know (after the 5 months their memory was a little foggy) was did I do the deposit by credit card or check. I had done a check and I have to admit that I was a little nervous that I might meet some resistance [but they were one of only two dealers at the annual new car show at the Hartford Expo Center that told me a deposit with them was fully refundable---all other Toyota dealers represented there said non-refundable unless another Toyota model was purchased (I since learned that it's against Ct state law not to return a deposit unless it's a specially ordered car equiped with custom parts not desired by the average person, then the dealer can keep the deposit or collect payment for the custom parts that exceed the deposit value left with them)]. Gale cut their refund check the following day and I had it in my hands 2 days later in the mail (and the check cleared the bank fine). By the way, if you become a Balise customer, when you get their invitation to attend their new owner/customer appreciation evening, GO! A presentation by serv. mgr., serv. advisor,& mechanic followed by Q&A, food & drink, free oil chg. certificate, and drawing for nice door prizes. Oh, Frank told me last Wed. after the new owner event that their waiting list was about 25 people at that time so don't wait too long to see him. Good luck!

Ken in Bolton

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, MRMOTH1,
Haven't seen either Bryan or you posting anything since my Sept.18 post, so I was just wondering how both your searches are doing. Have you found out if Frank at Balise has a Prius for you to test drive? If he hasn't, are you going to try at Lynch's in Manchester,Ct on Rte. 83 just off I-84 between exits 64 & 63 for a chance at driving their TRAC car? Have you been to see Frank and ordered your car yet, and what about getting your deposit back from Gale---how did that go? Now, Bryan, where does your search stand?

Ken in Bolton.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ken.

Great news. I saw Frank. He was awesome. Finally a guy that knew Prii!! He spent two hours with me going over every inch of the car and I took it for a 12 mile drive. I averaged 49 miles to the gallon. Not bad for a rookie, right? :D

I gave him a deposit and I'm officially on the list. I believe I was number 38. They added 4 more to their list that day. He didn't even care that I was double listed at Gale. (I'm 14 on that list).

I really rather give my business to Frank. Thanks for the tip.

By the way. Frank said you made out pretty well at their customer appreciation thingy!

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Hey, MRMOTH1,
I'm on my way out to the (small) airport in Simsbury,Ct. for their (big) annual Fly-In event, but I just checked to see if you had posted about your test drive progress. I'm SO HAPPY for you! I was in the process of typing a longer respnse to you(by my slow, single-finger, hunt & peck method) and I kept getting interupted by phone calls, hungry puppies,etc. & when I finally clicked the preview box, everything I typed disappeared & I got put into the log-in screen again. I must have been on so long that I got timed out or something. When I get back home(the Fly-In ends around 3:00 PM) I'll try to remember the comments I had from before that got lost & do another posting.

Ken in Bolton.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought mine at Middletown Toyota and have had good service.
The car was always ready at the time they promised and at the price quoted. Sometimes I know more than they do about TSB’s thanks to this forum, but in general they have been very good.
My mate bought an Auris at the Middletown dealership for his daughter, says it was the best experience ever. Guess it's true then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit new to the forum, just registered today. I've been reading these forums for months and months. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has purchased a Prius from the Hartford, CT area, or even the Red Bank, NJ region.

I'm looking for some recommendations of dealerships around those areas. Thanks!
Hey, man, I got a lot of useful info on all kinds of Toyota dealers from this italkaboutcars.com site/blog by John Dean (try googling it). Don't know if they've got the English dealerships covered or not, though (I'm from California).

Anyways, good luck to you, my friend!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts