Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just received my XM radio from Coastal, and the documentation appears to be very good. I have printed the CD contents so that I won't have to consult a laptop throughout my installation.

And it really does seem to be somewhat involved, particularly for someobdy who hasn't done one yet. I believe I can do it, but I thought I'd toss out a few questions first. If I have additional questions, I'll repost here on Saturday (the day I plan to install it)

1) Has anybody else performed their own installation? If so, was there anything that you learned or any useful tips that you might be able to share? Any little conveniences or hindsight "beware of" warnings that you can offer?

2) Has anybody experimented with any alternate antenna locations? The instructions show the antenna at the rear of the roof, on the driver's side of the car. I'd like to put it in the center instead, or maybe someplace else, if possible.

3) Any advice about affixing the antenna to the paint? Anything I should be careful of or consider doing differently?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Too late!

I already installed it. Here's a short rundown of suggestions that I would make to anybody doing this for themselves. This information is supplemental to the documentation and the CD provided by Coastal. Consult Dave's documentation throughout your installation, and you will figure it out.

1) The instructions and pictures are very good, but use your common sense when unscrewing something or popping off a clip.

2) The hardest part of the installation was definitely getting the cable behind the radio and plugging it in. Be patient, be careful, and be persistent. Oh yeah, and unless you have very small hands and/or are extremely careful, be prepared to leave a little bit of your flesh inside of your dashboard. My hands are small for a guy, but not tiny. Ouch, that smarted! But I think it'll heal, and now my Prius has some of my own DNA. :)

You absolutely have to look up through the vent into the dashboard and get a visual fix on that connector on the back of the radio. Get your target into your mind and imagination so that when you reach in with your right hand from the top (when you're flying blind, because you cannot see what you are doing), you'll be able to find that target. Remember, the tab goes DOWN.

Once you line up the connector correctly with the back of the radio, it will go in fairly easily...you don't have to push with great force. And best of all (if you can manage this method), you don't have to take the whole damned dashboard apart! It will probably save you an hour or two.

3) The second hardest part of the installation was deciding where to put the antenna. I hadn't realized it was magnetic! Pretty powerful magenets, too; so be careful and don't get pinched. That blood-blister will be turning red very shortly. :oops:

I wanted to put the antenna on the center of the roof at the very rear, just behind the radio antenna. But the XM antenna's lead was too thick to fit comfortably down between the hatchback and the roof-beam at that center location. There's just not enough clearance between the hatch and the roof, and the wire would have continually been getting rubbed each time I opened the hatch.

So I had to settle for putting it towards the driver's side of the car, about halfway between the center of the roof and the side roof rail. It's still at the rearmost part of the roof; but it is off-center slightly to make room for that wire.

4) When threading the control cable and later on, the antenna cable, use your good judgement and common sense. Don't thread either one someplace where you know somebody might step, or where somebody might place a heavy object (like in the trunk area).

5) In the back seat on the passenger side, when you pull up the side step-plate, you'll see a thin, clear plastic tube going from the front of the car to the back. I believe this is the rear windshield wiper fluid. Be nice to this little tube; you don't want it to spring any leaks!

6) Be careful when lifting the back seat up on the passenger side. You only need to lift the rear corner of it just enough to make enough room to thread the controller-cable behind the seat, on its way to the driver's side of the car. Make sure it's out of the way and that it won't be impinged when somebody folds the rear seatback s up or down.

7) Useless trivia: Want to see your side-curtain airbags without the messiness and dire risk of life and limb required to deploy them? It's easy. Open the hatch and choose a side, driver or passenger. Pull up the weaterstriping at the upper right or upper left corner of the hatch openeing, and push the headliner down toward the ground about an inch or two. You'll see the rearmost end of the side-curtain airbag, all folded up like a baby-blue and white fan...ready to deploy at a moment's notice.

8 ) Activating XM. This was initially confusing for me. I couldn't seem to get it to tune to channel "000"...no buttons would do this, and all it would play was channel 1 - the preview channel.

But then, silly me, after calling tech support at XM, and while waiting on hold, I decided to turn the right-hand knob on my radio, and sure enough, I found that stations 0, 1, and 247 were available. Station 0 gives you your receiver-id. Copy that down, and go to the website to complete the signup process.

9) Before you put the trunk back together, why not pull that spare tire out and put some air in it? You're over halfway there to getting it out of the trunk, and of course, if you can't remember when you last checked it, you know it probably needs air by now. Check it first; it's supposed to have 60 PSI.

10) Finally, after the unit got activated, I spent a few minutes playing with the unit. Wow. I cannot believe I waited so long to get it!

Okay, I'm off to go run some errands; I just wanted to check in with this information for y'all before I procrastinate it all away. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 0 mechanical aptitude. Well, okay, not true. I'm lazy :) Think any competent stereo installer I'd otherwise trust should be able to do this for for a few bucks or lunch and a beer?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Any competent stereo installer could do this in no time...esp. with the instructions.

BTW folks, rates for XM go up $3/mo starting April 2nd. If you want to get the cheaper rates (gotta do annual or longer to get current rates) better get your XM now!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welcome to the XM Nation!

BTW, BIF you could have copied the XM radio ID from the sticker on the radio... but only an XM owner would know to look first :)

You'll want 46 - Top Tracks for classic rock (sort of Q 96 w/ less Boston and no commercials) 229 - Orlando for traffic. 54 - Lucy if you want alternative hits... 151 - Laugh USA for when you're falling asleep at the wheel, and 71 - Watercolors for when you're on a relaxing drive with your significant other.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I'm typing real fast. Can't waste time. Keep getting "bonked" out of the forum.

Yes, and yes. That's what I've been trying to type since I first saw your posts. But now I forget the details. Sorry.

Okay, now to hit "submit" and pray it makes it this time!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Metro Eddie's free downloadable instructions were handy too. I used kind of a, well, "hybrid" method installing my XM unit from Coastal. Their installation methods were similar, except for how to actually get the plug into the back of the head unit. Where Coastal's instructions were a little vague, Metro's filled in the blanks, and vice versa. I also went with Caostal's blind method to get the plug home, rather than Metro's "disassemble the entire dashboard" method. Much more blood and cursing involved, but still a lot faster. Between that, the auto door lock, and the EV switch, I've left a fair amount of my skin in the innards of the car.

As for unsolicited channel recommendations, 44-Fred is my old-school alt music fave, 150-Comedy (if you don't mind comics who "work blue"), and 73-Frank's Place for when you want some ring-a-ding-ding, baby. And ditto the thumbs-up for 71-Watercolors for romance or had-a-bad-day-and-need-to-chill music.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today, I was playing 81-BPM, Dance.

No, it's not hip-hop.
Why yes, Virginia, there IS a difference.

Good dance music actually makes ya want to move, and it hardly ever has a swear-word in it. :) No b-words, p-words, gd-words, c-words, f-bombs, or any other high-stress verbal "techniques."

Just good dance music.

I'll try a different station tomorrow, because I like many different kinds of music...um, no...not hip-hop...why do you ask? :)

Anyhow, maybe we should start a thread on XM Stations, and share some of the gems we've all discovered there. I know I've found a few really good songs being played on the 60's and 70's and Cinema stations in the last few days...

Next up: Circumventing that NAV prompt. Gotta put my order in soon...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey I got the XM unit and I was able to install the XM antenna in the center of the roof, directly behind the factory antenna. It was a wiggle getting the antenna lead down into the track where it belongs, but it fits w/o any problem. I also had the XM antenna painted to match my car so it really kind of blends into the roof. Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
URL for Metro Eddie (Re: XM radio install instructions)

Thomme mentioned downloadable instructions from Metro Eddie for the XM radio install to complement the Coastal instructions. I did a google search but couldn't turn up a URL for Metro Eddie. Could someone post the address or send it to me? Thanks.

I have a Coastal XM radio kit on the way (probably get here long before my '05 package 6 Prius shows up at the dealer. . .)

Steve Z
near Libby, Montana USA

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hey Steve -

Sorry - "Metro Eddie" was a cryptic reference, especially after this site went kablooey a couplea weeks ago, and we lost a lot of data that was relevent to this topic.

Eddie is a guy who apparently works in the Parts Dept at a Toyota dealership in Cleveland, and he put an XM installation guide together. There was a yo' mama fight between him and another Toyota XM aftermarket dealer regarding possible intellectual theft in the installation guides, so alotta people don't talk much about it. Since I bought the Coastal kit, and it came with its own instructions, I regarded this guide as fair supplemental game. Others may disagree...

Nevertheless, here it is. Download the .pdf available at this page:
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... oductID=96

Happy installing!

·
Registered
93 Posts
BIF said:
Wow. I cannot believe I waited so long to get it! [/color] [/b]
I just installed the Coastal Tech XM Radio and love it also. Like you I used both Coastal's and Metro Eddie's instructions and found it pretty easy to do. The Public Radio is pretty weak on XM, but the music is great. My favorite channels are Fungus 53 and Squizz 48.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts