Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Back here in the old world some Prius 2006 owners (the few of them which have been delivered already) report problems with the rear camera system. Toyota does not specify yet if it is a recall or not.

Has anyone in the States experienced problems like that?

Walter

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not seen any problems nor heard of any. But as a point of order, you didn't say what kind of problems there were, so if someone had had any, it'd be hard for them to know if they were "problems like that". Like what?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HunterGreen said:
But as a point of order, you didn't say what kind of problems there were, so if someone had had any, it'd be hard for them to know if they were "problems like that". Like what?
That´s the fun part - owners don´t experience anything wrong, but Toyota insists on changing the system and won´t tell what´s wrong. I asked one owner to specifically insist on the information why the change is taking place. He will have it done tomorrow.

Walter

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
wgaustria said:
HunterGreen said:
But as a point of order, you didn't say what kind of problems there were, so if someone had had any, it'd be hard for them to know if they were "problems like that". Like what?
That´s the fun part - owners don´t experience anything wrong, but Toyota insists on changing the system and won´t tell what´s wrong. I asked one owner to specifically insist on the information why the change is taking place. He will have it done tomorrow.

Walter
wgaustria, Wait a minute here. So Toyota is telling that the replacement is imminent ? If so, Is Toyota replacing the whole MFD or just the rear Camera or its software or related wires or sensors or "What" it is pretty vague to me ? Around here in CA I have already delivered sooo manyyy
06 Prii but none, none of my delivered 06 Prii has suffered any abnormality.. Yet so far.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C.Rickey Hirose said:
wgaustria, Wait a minute here. So Toyota is telling that the replacement is imminent ? If so, Is Toyota replacing the whole MFD or just the rear Camera or its software or related wires or sensors or "What" it is pretty vague to me ? Around here in CA I have already delivered sooo manyyy
06 Prii but none, none of my delivered 06 Prii has suffered any abnormality.. Yet so far.
Hi Hirose!

The guy posting in an Austrian forum picked up his 06 Prius on January 13th. (It was a Friday :shock: ) He then was "invited" by his dealer to change the camera of the IPA (he was not more specific what parts are going to be exchanged). He was also told by the dealer that several 06 models are epxeriencing problems with the camera. However, they did not tell him what was wrong.

But since he will have it done tomorrow I asked him to insist on getting to know "what was wrong and what they changed". I will hopefully know more tomorrow, when he tells us in the forum.

For myself I am enjoying my Prius 05 (bought in August) - 11.000 miles done already - not a single problem - great car!!! :D

If you are into German - here is the link to our "tiny" forum

http://www.toyota-prius.at/viewtopic.php?t=206

Walter

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have an 06 Prius.. no problems so far :) Except for the fact that everythings backwards (duh, the way they have the mirrors I'm sure in the setup).

But yes, invisible issue. I get calls from my dealership checking to see if everything is great (typical customer service call) but nothing about a recall.. yet.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
nothing yet about the camera or IPA listed on the Japanese home market recall and service campaign page:
http://toyota.jp/recall/index.html
(if you use babelfish.altavista.com for translation to English, "pre-mortor" is the translation for Prius.)
The IPA has been available on Japanese Prius since the 2004 model year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an '06 and have had a number of completely invisible and totally undetectable problems with my rear camera. Please let me know when they have a fix for these. And then let me know where I can get a 10X magnifying lens for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the Austrian owner has had the replacement of his camera unit.

The dealer could not provide any exact information but it had something to do with those lines in the monitor first being green and when getting closer to an object getting red. The distance somehow wasn´t correct - this is why they changed the camera - maybe a calibration problem.

I went ahead and asked him what exactly was changed and why - but I guess even the dealer might not now - they probably just received the infromation to do the job.

Walter

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer could not provide any exact information but it had something to do with those lines in the monitor first being green and when getting closer to an object getting red.
WHAT colored lines in the camera display? I don't see any on my 2006.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Quadling said:
The dealer could not provide any exact information but it had something to do with those lines in the monitor first being green and when getting closer to an object getting red.
WHAT colored lines in the camera display? I don't see any on my 2006.
That's part of the integrated parking assist, an option that is not yet available in the US.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Rear camera

I have seen something like this on the system used in the Maybach. The picture from the rear camera has a grid, with the last three sections, furthest from the rear bumper, being red, and the middle sections in yellow. Not a bad idea, maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.