Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a blip on the news last night about a recall for the 2004 and 2005 prius.

The only explanation was that some engines in these cars had stalled! :cry:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mine stalls all the time... it's a feature

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What news were you watching? Have ya got a link?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I spoke with Toyota yesterday. They said that they are investigating the cause of the stall, but there is no current recall. They do not know what is causing the problem yet.

Knock on wood, my 04 has not given me any problems at all.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
firepa63 said:
I spoke with Toyota yesterday. They said that they are investigating the cause of the stall, but there is no current recall. They do not know what is causing the problem yet.

Knock on wood, my 04 has not given me any problems at all.
Figures!

The media likes to sensationalize things.

By the way___. Neither of my Prius has ever stalled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With regard to the Prius stalling, you stated: "Among Prius owners it's an old-news story (dating back to last May)." I just read an article from the AP stating this about Toyota and the Prius stallig, "The automaker just learned of the problem late last week." It was dated today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
669 Posts
Does anyone really KNOW what's at the bottom of this? In a non-hybrid car "stalling" is when the gas engine turns off without the ignition being turned off. Of course the Prius does this all the time, but if it doesn't start back up again, there's a problem. I gather these stories point to reports of the latter thing happening. It has certainly not happened to me...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's just another thing for the media to nick on. All modern cars are tricked out with electronics and computers. Just because we don't hear a Chevy do that doesn't mean it doesn't/can't.

Heck, our Camry's A/C light started blinking indicating a problem. It took th technicians weeks testing and replacing parts until they found out it was simply the wiring that the computer was detecting was malfunctioning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Little flame in order here I guess:

First:
There is more than enough horror stories being told on Prius forums regarding poorly trained Toyota service techs. Toyota dealership touching my Prius? Over my dead body.

Few examples for all: simple software upgrade (which they WILL do like it or not) will cut your MPG by cca. 5 MPG. Guranteed. They will almost never inflate your tires as per your instructions. They will replace you PSD (tranny) or on-board computers simply because they were unable to comprehend the meaning of gathered DTCs. And so on and on.

So - I love my Prius just the way it is - recall, no recall, I don't care. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Second:
As per this "stall" thingy. Yep, few people (no more than five as far as I can recall) reported such event on Prius sites over the months, all on early 2004 Prius only, I think. The fix? Pull over and re-start.

Big deal. But obviously someone cought on it - US manufacturers would love Prius to come up with some serious flaw for sure. The same day that this "stall" bubble hit the radio GM started running commercials about their magnificent machines being able to run 30MPG! Hurray! It's a new dawn of US car manufacturing genius, monumental achievement of it's marketing forecast experts and it's management ability and vision to grasp the emerging ideas and invest into it in time!

Tough luck, loosers - my 1991 Toyota Camry was running 33MPG - with 250,000 miles on it. You missed the train - yet again. Your attempt to belittle competition by fictious stories will not help you!

Face it, and take corrective action while you have time to do so. (Yeah - right!)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 2004, 23K miles, has never stalled. I had the software upgrade, announced by Toyota, around May 04 done at the time I received the letter.

The prudent course is for Toyota to investigate whether the reports of stalls are the result of that upgrade not being done, or a new problem.

If a new problem, diagnose it and prepare a solution.

We will just have to be patient :roll: to hear the outcome of the investigation.

Not easy, I know, when people say their cubs are getting sick, and you want to know if your cub has it too. :?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had a very disconcerting thing happen today. Doing some gardening in front of my home which is just off a 50 mph main drag. Saw a guy in an '04 silver Prius limp onto our street from the main street and roll to a stop. Being that my Salsa Red 04 was sitting in the garage, I went over to see what happened. Apparently his check engine light came on along with the other dash warning lights, he went into limp home mode then managed to get off the main street onto our side street on battery only as it finally rolled to a stop -- no battery, no ICD, nothing. And, yes, he had a full tank of gas. I tried to help, but restarting was impossible, so he called Toyota Roadside Assistance, and they towed him to a local dealer in the neighborhood. Don't know the outcome, but it was weird that it happened right in front of my house, the day after this story became public.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anyone know if this is happening to new cars or anyone? Both my prius and my wife's was purchased in Feb 05. She has about 4.5k miles and I have 3.8k miles. I hope it does not break I do not know if I could go back to driving a regular car. It would seem so boring now. Not to mention the smart key has spoiled me. :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Odd how one story had the problem identified as a 'glitch' from last year, and another has it being from an yet-undetermined cause.

Make up your mind, Media...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would someone please explain the contention that these software upgrades will result in a reduction of mpg? Does this mean that my forthcoming 05 prius will get worse gas mileage than the 2004s. I assume that since it is a new car that it will have all the latest upgrades.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tstreet said:
Would someone please explain the contention that these software upgrades will result in a reduction of mpg? Does this mean that my forthcoming 05 prius will get worse gas mileage than the 2004s. I assume that since it is a new car that it will have all the latest upgrades.
My understanding is, the last fix to avoid stalling made the ICE run more often than 'normal', so with more gas useage there will probably be lower MPGs. The fix was to be applied after complaints, probably on the level of "My car was doing 70 then rolled to a stop."

Not a nice fix, but when customers DEMAND a fix, sometimes they get lame ones...

·
Registered
548 Posts
mikepaul said:
Odd how one story had the problem identified as a 'glitch' from last year, and another has it being from an yet-undetermined cause.

Make up your mind, Media...
I think the problem is that there are a few thing which can cause the Prius to suddenly die...

There's this software glitch, and then there was a rash of improperly sealed connectors last year, which could get water in them and also cause death.

I had the improperly sealed connector, and the death from that is not pretty. The Prius will *not* restart, and you have to have it towed in to have that fixed.

Either way, that's at least 2 major "prius death" issues, and I can't blame the media for confusing the two. Toyota hasn't really stepped up and admitted to either even tho they did change the way they were sealing connectors, so there must have been a problem there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts