Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, while washing the Prius the other day, I removed the little plastic cover that goes over the rear wiper. You know the piece I'm talking about - the cover that once removed, allows you to lift the rear wiper completely off the window for easy cleaning.

After closely examining the plastic cover, it looks like there's a little tab that prevents the raising of the wiper.

What are the implications of whipping out the Dremel and zipping off that tab? Is the rear wiper in danger of lifting off the window at high speeds? I doubt it - the car's a little too aerodynamic for that to happen!

Is the only concern that a large rotating brush at the car wash will tear the wiper clean off? I doubt a little plastic tab would prevent that from happening.

Any of you Gurus have any furthur insight into this? My Dremel's on standby...

DGStan

·
Registered
93 Posts
I discovered the same anomaly a few months back. I did the "cover off speed test" without any bad side effects. I took the car to over 90 mph; the blade seem to continue to hug the glass without a problem. I actually took a pair of pliers and bent the tab back and forth until it snapped off. It made a clean break as if it was perforated for that purpose. No regrets.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It couldn't be that simple.

What about when the wiper is working while you're driving? Maybe it's designed to hold the wiper against the window while you're driving to make sure it cleanly wipes off water efficiently.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nope, you can lift the blade clear of the glass with the stop in place, so it has no effect on holding the blade to the glass.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Car wash? The touchless ones with the high powered jets or the 3 turbine fans. I have had the front wipers lift off the glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts