Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if there was a rear window display tied to the computer MPG that said, "I'm getting (whatever) MPG - How about you?" Would you get one??? Do you think more people would think it was cool or annoying? :lol:

·
Registered
66 Posts
It would be interesting to see if such a display would shame those driving oversized or overpowered vehicles into reconsidering their vehicle of choice.

Personally I feel it would be worthless as, in my experience, most people in such vehicles I've encountered do not even know what mileage they are getting.

...and no, I wouldn't get one. I prefer to demonstrate my fuel economy with the rarity with which I stop to refuel. :lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Normich said:
What if there was a rear window display tied to the computer MPG that said, "I'm getting (whatever) MPG - How about you?" Would you get one??? Do you think more people would think it was cool or annoying? :lol:
Probably p_ss someone in a Hummer off and he would run right over you!

·
Registered
381 Posts
jflowerus said:
Probably p_ss someone in a Hummer off and he would run right over you!
I prefer a low-key approach myself; also don't like having stickers all over my bumper, paint and/or windows - don't want my car to look like a one-stop SPAM shop. :p

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not useful: The only time the car behind you would see it is starting out from a stoplight, and that's when you get the lowest mileage. Better off with a bumper sticker that says, "I get XXX mpg."

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I want one that flashes "please be patient...we'll get up to speed soon enough"

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Or for that guy that gave me the "fickle finger of friendship" the other day, "Have a nice day!"

·
Registered
188 Posts
It is funny to me that many of you think someone driving and SUV or larer vehicle is evil and wants to run you over becuase you are in an economical car.

Many of us drive suv's because we haul 4 kids, boats, trailers, sleds, atvs, lumber or whatever on a normal basis into the back woods, on lakes and throough snow and they are by far the best option.

And yes, I could care less if I get 13 mpg, I knew it going in and budget for it. Chevy has announced that the MPG's on the Full size trucks and Suvs will be going up 1-2 MPG in 05 - doesn't sound like much, but with the number of them they sell, that equals 1 supertanker of oil per year.

That is probably many times over what all Prius owners will save vs buying another small sized car. And please don't take that as a rip, but the Big 3 are still concerned, maybe not as much as they should be, but they are still thinking about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ripping

I started this thread and didn't really mean create ill will - only a humouous aside.

Many of us have no reason to feel too smug about ourselves because we also own a larger vehicle (for all of the reasons that the last post suggests - haul camper, boat, kids, etc.) I do feel good that I will get great mileage and won't pollute too much with the Prius (when it comes in next week), but I also could not have it as my only vehicle. My minivan serves a purpose and my Prius will too.

I also believe that the big 3 (and Toyota for that matter) care - unfortunately about a profit and not much else. Toyota was just smart enough to see a need and flexible enough to meet it ahead of the cumbersome pipeline that exists in the American auto industry (my dad worked for Chrysler for 42 years and I am a Detroit area native).

·
Registered
623 Posts
kenlacy said:
Many of us drive suv's because we haul 4 kids, boats, trailers, sleds, atvs, lumber or whatever on a normal basis into the back woods, on lakes and throough snow and they are by far the best option.
Sounds to me like you are that rare person, one out of a thousand SUV owners, who actually has a use for it.

I can't remember when I've seen more than 2 people in an SUV. And we know that most SUVs are driven to the grocery store over paved roads by a lone housewife. My aunt drives an SUV. She bought it so her grandkids would be safer when she drives them around. But the statistics tell us that her gradnkids would be safer if she drove them in a Prius, or any other 5-star-rated family sedan.

And road rage, though not a problem where I live, is a real concern in other parts of the country, and the safest thing is not to risk enraging any class of drivers with inflammatory bumper stickers. (Though I admit I get a kick out of seeing some of the inflammatory bumper stickers on other cars.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
kenlacy,

I'm sorry if my comments about "oversized or overpowered vehicles" struck a nerve with you, this was not my intention. I do not believe that SUV's and their drivers are terrorist supporting or the spawn of Satan (after all, my other vehicle is also an SUV).

My intention was to point out how we ALL should be driving the right sized vehicle for the task at hand. While I would never attempt navigating my nearby forest roads in my Prius, by the same respect, my SUV is likewise not a proper fit for my daily traffic commute to work. By the same respect, driving a 300 HP sports car is also an illogical choice for me, as more than 90% of my driving is during rush hour traffic.

And yes, your point about seemingly small MPG increases in trucks and SUV’s is quite valid. With the fantastic mileage some of us have been achieving, it is all too easy to overlook these achievements.

-Ken

·
Registered
188 Posts
No need for apologies, I am in no way offended. I know that many times what is said on message boards would never be said in a true face to face conversation and can be easily taken the wrong way. I am as quilty of that as anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Daniel said:
I can't remember when I've seen more than 2 people in an SUV. And we know that most SUVs are driven to the grocery store over paved roads by a lone housewife.
Daniel, if that is the case. You need to get out more. :D

The wifey and I constantly take the kids camping and EVERY single SUV is usually loaded to the max. Generally, whenever my wife goes to the grocery store she has the two kids in tow as well. Every time I go with her to the grocery store we see the proverbial family of six loading the groceries into the SUV for the family x 3 living in the home.

Again... you need to get out more if the above is true.

jflowerus - you too. Get out and experience the world, because there are a TON of people who pack their SUVs full of people out on the road (right now ... even as I type).

Daniel said:
My aunt drives an SUV. She bought it so her grandkids would be safer when she drives them around. But the statistics tell us that her gradnkids would be safer if she drove them in a Prius, or any other 5-star-rated family sedan.
While I am with you and love what the Prius offers... I would like to see the statistics you are quoting (and would like to see them in their original form), but in an SUV versus a Prius TC, the Prius is going to lose 9 times out of 10. My source: life and the accidents I have had to deal with after the fact.

It is a fact, you are safer in an SUV if you are in a collision. That said, I agree with you and the premise you are better off making the smaller trips in the Prius.

Just remember... treat everyone else on the road as an idiot (especially me) and expect them to do some of the most un-expected and dumb things they can possibly do.

Stay safe out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Normich said:
I'd not get one. Low key is the key, and people will see your Prius and already know that you are getting great mileage.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Justice:

My understanding is that roll-overs are the problem. In a frontal collision the SUV wins. But how many accidents are frontals, and how many are other stuff? I admit that I don't have the figures, but from all I've read, the overall safety of SUVs (and that's what matters) is poor.

Richard said:
people will see your Prius and already know that you are getting great mileage.
I think most people will not have the faintest idea what mileage you are getting. If they even recognize the car as a hybrid at all they'll say to themselves: "I bet that guy is pi$$ed he's not getting the advertised mileage and has to remember to plug it in for 18 hours every day." Such is the misinformation out there.

I just enjoy my Prius. I'll talk about it to anyone who wants to hear, but I have no need to shout at passing drivers how much less I'm paying for gas than they are.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We were having the crash discussion the other day as well. Rollovers are the #1 cause injury/fatality with SUV's - but they do not go on to look at the bigger picture, most suv accidents are not rollovers. I would love to see a study of 1000 car accidents and 1000 full size suv accidents (the reason I say Full size, because most midsize suvs, trailblazers, explorers, pathfinders and so on, are no larger or stronger than a car)- see which one produced more fatalities and injuries.

My money would be on a a full size SUV to be more protective.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rather than study per 1000 accidents, you need to study per 1000 (or whatever) miles driven. Are you safer travelling 1000 miles in an SUV or in a modern 5-star family sedan.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts