Toyota Prius Forum banner

rear visibility?

11K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  V8Cobrakid 
#1 ·
How's the rear visibility? The bar across the back blocks your view, but I'm guessing you get used to it. The mind compensates. During the test drive it seemed like I could see closer to the back of the car than in my current Mazda.

#2 ·
During the test drive it seemed like I could see closer to the back of the car than in my current Mazda
You can. It seems to go a little lower than a standard sedan since it's a hatchback. I consider this one of the big benefits, and also, although I have the auto dimming mirror, if I didn't, the fact the spoiler cuts the direct beams of the light, but you can still see the glow, you aren't blinded, but you DO know there's a car behind you.

#4 ·
I've gotten used to the rear visibility, and I can live with it, but I don't really like it. My old Civic station wagon had much better visibility all the way around. (But no air bags!)

The supposed "benefit" of the bar blocking headlights from behind is minor, as it only functions if the trailing car is at a certain distance.

Overall, the rear visibility is a minor drawback to an excellent car, and a compromise in return for the low coefficient of drag.

#6 ·
You'll quickly discover the rear-view is exactly like BIFOCAL glasses.

The bottom part plays no part at all in normal driving. It is only used for close-up stuff, like parking. All the distance stuff is totally visible through the upper part.

And yes, that bar very effectively blocks highlights from tailgaters. So all you get is a soft glow while still being able to see the vehicle itself. That's really handy.

#7 ·
The rear visibility is ok for me, but why does the rear wiper store in the up right position. It is distracting and I keep looking to see whats there.
However, the major problem that I have is the front right side visibility; the rear view mirror blocks a large portion of my view. Also, the pillar blocks another portion of the right side view. Between the two of them you really have remember to check to see if a car is hidden behind them at a stop sign.

#8 ·
Diana,
Have you pushed the rear view mirror up as high as it will go? Mine was rather low when I got it, and pushing it up and realigning it gave me more visibility out of the windshield.

#10 ·
It is raised all the way up as high as it will go and like David Maximus it starts to block the view to the rear. But, that is better then blocking the right side view.
I find that most cars that I owned had the same problem, but the Prius is a little worst because of the large window post also creates a blind spot. It is something that you just have to be aware of and compensate for it when you are driving.

#11 ·
I used to drive a big Dodge RAM 1500, sitting up on top of the world, sucking the gas down like it was water. Now I've sold her and am loving my Prius #9. But how on earth can you stand watching all those cars come barreling dowon on you!?!? Looking in the rear view mirror and seeing nothing but people's bumpers come within inches of the back of the car scares me to death! I really don't like the view at all. It's tiny compared to what I was used to...

Even though there seems like a ton of glass in this car, it seems like it has a lot of blind spots, but again, remember what I was used to.

#12 ·
To an extent i agree on the blind spots. I only test drove one.. well... two (i couldn't resist) :lol: But it did seem like there are blind spots. Then again, i'm used to driving my 87 Lincoln MarkVII Sucking up fuel if i punch it or don't. View is great though. What i can't see out of the rearview mirror ( with auto dim... although the first model that moves electonicaly) i can see to my sides. Side mirrors just made it so i don't realy have to turn my head anymore. I'm gonna miss all the cool gadgets in my Lincoln. But, i get new toys :D :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.