Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone succeeded in removing the 2nd Gen rear spoiler (type A) and if so, how? Only apparent fasteners are the two phillips screws holding on the 3rd brake light lens.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
whatever for? that thing was tweeked about a dozen times in development to get just the right aerodynamics for the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sanny said:
whatever for? that thing was tweeked about a dozen times in development to get just the right aerodynamics for the car.
:shock: Are you sure it was only a dozen? Sanny, you're assuming quite a bit. I was asking for help in how to remove it; not to be judged BECAUSE I'm removing it. If you must know, I'm planning on modifying the 3rd brake light to flash a few times before going "solid" red with a kit from webelectric.com. I thought that was reason enough.... I've read in this forum of several Prius owners being rearended and was hoping not to have to join that thread. :roll:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I certainly wasn't judging you for wanting to remove it. I couldn't care less if you take your spoiler off. Just pointing out that it is an integral part of the design, and wondering why you want to. Maybe you had some reason that would benefit the forum, as you described in your follow up post. From that post, it doesn't seem that you want to remove it permanently (as I misunderstood from your first post). Be well, spoiler or no spoiler.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sanny said:
I certainly wasn't judging you for wanting to remove it. I couldn't care less if you take your spoiler off. Just pointing out that it is an integral part of the design, and wondering why you want to. Maybe you had some reason that would benefit the forum, as you described in your follow up post. From that post, it doesn't seem that you want to remove it permanently (as I misunderstood from your first post). Be well, spoiler or no spoiler.
I see you are not the only one to jump to conclusions. (I'm not paranoid; people really are out to get me. :lol: ) You're right. I should have said, "how to temporarily remove it". No harm; no foul. Have a good one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
spoiler

Does it really have a function? I thought spoilers were only useful when you hit 100 mph or so. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: spoiler

JKnight said:
Does it really have a function? I thought spoilers were only useful when you hit 100 mph or so. Just curious.
Spoilers do decrease drag on the vehicle at any speed that has coherent airflow over them. (Speed varies per vehicle because of individual aerodynamics, so I don't know what speed that is on the Prius.) The effect is negligible, though. (Although, based on the design premise of the Prius, it's probably enough to at least offset the weight of the spoiler itself.)

The purpose of a true 'spoiler' though, is to apply downward pressure to hold the rear of the vehicle to the ground better. In Indy racecars, they are traveling at high enough speed, and have a sufficiently large spoiler to produce a significant downward pressure. This keeps the rear (drive) tires on the ground better, letting them transfer more power to the road. When you see a 'tweaked' Honda Civic with a monster spoiler, though, it doesn't do anything useful. In fact, since the Civic is front wheel drive, it REDUCES power-to-road capability, since it is actually pivoting the car's front end upward. While it would look goofy as all-get-out, putting a spoiler on the front end would be more useful. (Which the smarter tweakers do by replacing the front end bumper with a new one that does have some spoiler-like effect. But, they usually counteract that by putting a rear spoiler on as well, though.)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Spoilers

At lower speeds, spoilers and other devices can reduce or almost eliminate eddy currents that increase drag. You don't have to be going over 100 mph to see a difference. The spoiler on the Prius probably makes the back of the car "cleaner", reducing drag at highway speeds.

If you do take it off, let us know how much of a difference it makes. I'll bet it is a couple of mpg, if you do a lot of highway driving.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I can never remember the official Toyota title for PriusMan and ee_of_ee, two toyota engineers/spokesmen who used to post on the old Yahoo Club toyotaprius. Anyhow, the 1998-2000 Japanese Prius didn't have a spoiler, and it was added to the 2001 Prius and has been kept in the 2004 redesign. here's a quote from Priusman on the spoiler on the 2001 Prius:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... ssage/2106
What's next, oh
yeah, the rear spoiler.
I can only relate you what I
was told by the Chief Engineer. July '99, I'm
standing behind one of the LHD 1S prototypes (6-8
generations of proto from production) with ee, the head
designer and the CE at the Long Lead Press event outside
San Diego. I questioned CE on the fact that I noticed
a rear spoiler add in the recent spec summary. I
didn't want the cost up and didn't think it fit the
image that we were attempting to portray for the car. I
did that purposely with Irwin Lui the designer
present cause the CE would be forced to explain his
rationale rather than just dismissing me with a "marketing
story". And the designers are always so protective of
their design.
Thats when he explained how it helped
to clean up the air flow around and behind the car
contributing to its .29 CD and delivering a few mpg on the
highway test. Because it help move us closer to our
performance targets we take it. Thats the deal as I
experienced it, take it for what its worth....I'll see if I
can dig up some data to support....Now when you see
cars without, they're likely first generation
(12/97-4/00). But I'm pretty sure that all second generation
cars in all markets have rear spoilers - from May '00
on....except for those of you who have chosen to remove
it.....I'ld be real careful about rusting around those holes
or moisture within the deck lid for those of you who
have chosen removal.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
BMcGraw said:
I see you are not the only one to jump to conclusions. (I'm not paranoid; people really are out to get me. :lol: ) You're right. I should have said, "how to temporarily remove it". No harm; no foul. Have a good one!
You are paranoid. Nobody's out to get you. :)

Unless you bark at our Sanny too loudly! In that case, then... Grrrr! :evil:

:D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Spoiler loose

Am I the only one who feels like the spoiler is the one cheap-feeling thing about the Prius (2005)? When I shut the hatchback door, it sounds like the spoiler is rattling a bit. I couldn't see an obvious way to tighten it.

Anyone else notice this? If so, any suggestions?

David

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The spoiler is held by 4 bolts. You have to take the center hatch cover (which means the lower one needs to come off) and you will see the 4 bolts. There are also 2 clips on either end of the spoiler, and I think a clip in the center.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noisy Tailend

You also might want to check to be sure the rattle is not coming from your license plate and/or frame. Unless you put some cushioning between the two you'll usually notice a heck of a clatter when slamming the hatch. (mentioned in another thread awhile back)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Reading your original post again, you can get to the brake light power leads easy enough without removing the spoiler. Just remove the hatch covers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DanMan32 said:
Reading your original post again, you can get to the brake light power leads easy enough without removing the spoiler. Just remove the hatch covers.
Yeah DanMan, "been there; done that" - now. I figured it out after staring at the hatch for awhile. Thanks anyway. Unfortunately it appears that there's no way to take off the "Back Door Trim Board" without breaking the little pink clips and in my case actually breaking off two of three pink clip mounting tabs. I had to order a new BDTB from Toyota - only $68.

I'm sure there's a way to keep from distroying this piece but I don't see where there's access to these clips without being either a gymnast or someone who wouldn't mind taking off the entire hatch. :roll:

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've taken the panels off a few times. I only have one broken clip. It holds well enough though. Now they do come lose, but that doesn't mean they are broken.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oops...

:oops:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I apparently didn't use enough finesse. It only took me once to destroy it. Mine is definetly broken. Two of the three black clip mounts that also act as "standoffs" broke off and all three pink clips had at least one if not both "catches" broken off. Of course I wasn't expecting anything different than the round white peg style fasteners which just contract and re-expand after pulling straight out on the associated panel. The manual mentions using a screwdriver to release these. (I just found the appropriate page - see photo.)

Thnx DanMan

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
What do mean by "center hatch cover"? Are you saying I should just tighten these bolts? It sounds like you and everyone else are breaking these clips (which I don't even know about!). I sort of want to know if the spoiler is as fragile as it feels—or does everyone feel comfortable grabbing it to close the hatchback door?

Thanks!

David

The spoiler is held by 4 bolts. You have to take the center hatch cover (which means the lower one needs to come off) and you will see the 4 bolts. There are also 2 clips on either end of the spoiler, and I think a clip in the center.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts