Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to rebuild the US Prius rear drum brakes, to European style rear disc brakes? I was thinking maybe the ABS computer or VSC computer needs recalibration. In addition to different park brake system

In my opinion the way Toyota markets the Prius, IE Hight tech, it should come with rear disc brakes standard,or at least as part of a package with VSC.
:?

·
Registered
344 Posts
what's the point? the rear drums work just as well. the car stops when you press the brake pedal...

people are spending way too much time thinking about these things if you ask me. :roll:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Most of the braking effort on this vehicle is provided by the regenerative braking system. Actual friction braking is only used when regen cannot provide all the braking effort necessary or when you are in a panic stop; and of course in very low speed braking. As such, in normal braking you are using almost only regen braking, which means that the front wheels of the car are doing all of the braking anyway. To me putting disc brakes on the rear is kind of pointless and why they are being put on in Europe remains a mystery to me.

I'm going to be blunt, if disc brakes were a make or break issue on this car for you, then you should have purchased something else. In nearly a year of ownership I have never found the braks deficient in any way and as far as I can tell, there is very little pad usage because of the significant amount of regen used during the braking process.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Torch said:
Is it possible to rebuild the US Prius rear drum brakes, to European style rear disc brakes? I was thinking maybe the ABS computer or VSC computer needs recalibration. In addition to different park brake system
Mechanically, it's certainly possible to fit a set of European rear brakes to a US Prius. This would include the European parking brake. The computers might need to change, but I don't know where you could find this out (Toyota almost certainly won't tell you).

Torch said:
In my opinion the way Toyota markets the Prius, IE Hight tech, it should come with rear disc brakes standard,or at least as part of a package with VSC.
:?
You're opinion is clearly not in line with Toyota marketing's opinion. I suspect they know the American market better than you, but feel free to present credentials indicating otherwise.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is it possible to rebuild the US Prius rear drum brakes, to European style rear disc brakes?
Are you having trouble stopping your Prius..? If not.. leave it alone.
"High-Tech" does not always mean better but it always means more expensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone know if drum brakes have less drag than disc brakes when coasting (brakes not in use)?

It seems that brake pads on a disc brake equipped car still touch the rotor even when brakes are not applied, thus slightly increasing rotational resistance. Is the same true of drum brakes?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm not sure how the Prius discs do it, but on many cars the piston seal deflection is enough to return the pads away from the disc ever so slightly. I don't mean the dust boot, but the internal fluid seal that mounts much like a piston ring. Drum brakes usually use springs and back them off farther.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts