Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the rear camera option for? What does it do?

Thanks. :)

Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
It provides additional visibility of what lies behind the car. (As it works on most vehicles) When putting the car in reverse, the MFD will show the camera's view of what is behind the vehicle, helping you avoid backing into something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
janitorjay said:
It provides additional visibility of what lies behind the car. (As it works on most vehicles) When putting the car in reverse, the MFD will show the camera's view of what is behind the vehicle, helping you avoid backing into something.
So it actually shows a picture on the display? Is it a good quality picture and do you need to do anything to take the snapshot?

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know how much will it add to the price? I see that it is included in all but the most basic packages.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well, as for how much it adds? If you wanted one of the higher end packages anyway, then it's free.

As for how useful it is? I've backed into short poles and short fences, tall rocks, etc, in other cars before. These are things that I couldn't see out the main rear window, but a lower camera would have let me see.

It doesn't take a 'snapshot', nor do you have to do anything to activate it. When you shift into Reverse, the MFD (the big screen in the center of the dashboard,) switches to a live video feed from the camera. So if a dog runs behind your car, you'll see him. Not just a 'still picture'. When you shift out of Reverse, the screen goes back to whatever you had it on. (I'm assuming this works just like the rear camera on the Lexus, and that's how the Lexus works.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody know if you can switch to the live feed when you are in a gear other than reverse?? like to see how close that guy is behind you on the interstate??

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
craiger said:
Does anybody know if you can switch to the live feed when you are in a gear other than reverse?? like to see how close that guy is behind you on the interstate??
Jeez, the darn thing isn't even out yet... A rear view mirror will still be standard equipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that Lexus uses the same exact nav system as prius so i assume that the rear camera set up would be similar as well... So i guess i should say... in a Lexus can you see the live feed of the camera when you are in Drive??

P.S. are all the people at Priusonline as rude as the one above??

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
craiger said:
I know that Lexus uses the same exact nav system as prius so i assume that the rear camera set up would be similar as well... So i guess i should say... in a Lexus can you see the live feed of the camera when you are in Drive??
Try this link, there may be some information on the rearview camera there http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_hybrid/interior.html
(Sometimes rude ... sometimes helpful)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
craiger said:
Would be more fun to have it with screen in the back by license plate and camera inside, so you could make faces at guy behind you on interstate. ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I want to know how to mod it so I can use it as a blind spot monitor when merging at highway speed. The "turn my head and cross my fingers" method is going to backfire on me one of these days.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
wgaustria said:
In Japan the rear camera has been sold together with the intelligent parking system since the second Prius generation started to sell. This option will be available in the US and Europe for 2006.

Look at http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... 40115.html

Walter
Just to clarify: Integrated Parking Assist has been available in the 2004-? Prius in Japan. Starting in 2006, it will be available in some parts of Europe. The US, however, will only get the rear view camera for 2006, not IPA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would LOVE to have the option to turn it on when I was driving. That would the best little mod to get. Someone get on that! I would, but I suck at that sort of thing. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
mrv said:
wgaustria said:
In Japan the rear camera has been sold together with the intelligent parking system since the second Prius generation started to sell. Walter
Just to clarify: Integrated Parking Assist has been available in the 2004-? Prius in Japan. Starting in 2006, it will be available in some parts of Europe. The US, however, will only get the rear view camera for 2006, not IPA.
There is a nice 14 minute video out there on the net - I just do not remember the link. It shows the Japanese Prius II presentation with a demo of IPA. As for this demo, they took 3 Priuses (2 equipped with men, one with a woman). Guess who had to do the automated parking? Well the woman of course - male world, as if women cannot park?!?

Walter

·
Registered
919 Posts
I wish the option could be added to my 2005, as I also have crossed my fingers looking backwards while worrying what's up ahead or merging. The service manager here doesn't think it's possible to install as an option as the entire MFD would need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts