Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my car in today for a reapplication of sealant and asked the service manager about the 2006 models. I wondered if the camera (supposedly to be added in 2006) could be installed in my car. He wasn't sure but thought not, since "the screen on the new models" would be different. Anyone have any info on this? Is this camera an option you'd consider?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes you can do it. I have done it as a DIY project, actually I didnt do it, but Frenchie on PriusChat did!

You need a cam (Toyota Landcruiser works, order it from Japan Parts, and a cable which will need to be modified, as well as a video converter (from converters.tv in Australia).

Details are on Frenchies website at http://fxm78.perso.cegetel.net/ in French, but the documentation and photos make it queit understandable. What is not show, but maybe Frenchie can halp with is the contruction of the modified caple and details of the 9v regulator. After my install was done, I needed to increase the capacitor on the voltage regulator to 25uf 20V . You need to tap into the reverse wire as well on the navi, this wire along with the power goes via a "choc block" and I am thinking of changing this to a single plug/socket to make removal easier. I would also get rid of the jack plug into this same connector.

There is a thread on this topic at PriusChat at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=5997&hl=

AFASK mine is the 3rd Prius to have this mod done in Europe.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Victor, you are filled with technical knowledge, but unfortunately, my husband and I can perhaps lift the hood and identify the engine. I'm just hoping Toyota can do it, otherwise I'll have to wait until my next Prius. Thank you for your response--I'll keep it for reference. Do you find the camera worth all the effort you put into it?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, apart from a 2000+KM round trip to have it installed, I didnt really put much effort into it. Frenchie did ALL the work. I just ordered a the bits :wink:

But, yes for me it is worth it. My garrage is a bit small, and as I have to reverse into it for safety, the door opens direct to a road, it stops me hitting anything on the back wall, like my BBQ or bike!

Its also hand when parking in town where there isnt much space. It would be better still if it was possible to attach a front cam for parking!!!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
evander said:
I brought my car in today for a reapplication of sealant and asked the service manager about the 2006 models. I wondered if the camera (supposedly to be added in 2006) could be installed in my car. He wasn't sure but thought not, since "the screen on the new models" would be different. Anyone have any info on this? Is this camera an option you'd consider?
NO sweat ! I do it here all the time for the Prius and the Highlander Hybrid
Install the Camera and the bits and software thus 180 degree in the back of Car is seen clearly projected on the MFD or information display .

·
Registered
319 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Install the Camera and the bits and software thus 180 degree in the back of Car is seen clearly projected on the MFD or information display .
You can have them install a review camera on the factory screen, to activate when you put it in reverse?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Brian said:
C.Rickey Hirose said:
You can have them install a review camera on the factory screen, to activate when you put it in reverse?
Brian, Yes. Every time you select reverse, the MFD screen will change
to rear "Panoramic" view. I do install them for any customer(s) requested
Prius or the Highlander Hybrids, Any vehicle that comes equipped with the
MFD screen.

·
Registered
319 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
MFD screen.
Awesome! Do you have any price quotes you could tell us about this?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Wow! Dang, now if only I can find someone that'll do it closer to my home hehe.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Brian said:
C.Rickey Hirose said:
MFD screen.
Awesome! Do you have any price quotes you could tell us about this?
SHOULD BE AROUND $895.00 ..shhh.. ( Wholesale ) for the entire job !

·
Registered
71 Posts
back up camera installation

I see a lot of wiring and threading. I see security cameras all over our local university. I believe they are wireless and send a signal to a central computer. Has anyone heard of a wireless camera that could work in this type of installation?

·
Registered
39 Posts
[quote="C.Rickey Hirose
SHOULD BE AROUND $895.00 ..shhh.. ( Wholesale ) for the entire job ![/quote]

If somebody in the east coast, prefereably in or around North Carolina could do this for that price, they would have a customer in me. Mark Jacobsen or Koons perhaps? Anybody?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
evander said:
Victor, you are filled with technical knowledge, but unfortunately, my husband and I can perhaps lift the hood and identify the engine. I'm just hoping Toyota can do it, otherwise I'll have to wait until my next Prius. Thank you for your response--I'll keep it for reference. Do you find the camera worth all the effort you put into it?
Hello Evander. Are you talking about the "Rear View camera" if is, I do install them very frequently here at the dealership via out-side vendors.
It automatically shows the rear view on the MFD screen. ( Muti-function
display screen) whenever you engage to _Reverse_ the cost should run you around $900 or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
rear view camera

this relates to my question about: can the rear view camera be engaged, ie. show up defaulted on the screen, when driving forward, not just in reverse, as an adjunct to the rear veiw mirror, which shows an obstructed view?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: rear view camera

paulalouise said:
this relates to my question about: can the rear view camera be engaged, ie. show up defaulted on the screen, when driving forward, not just in reverse, as an adjunct to the rear veiw mirror, which shows an obstructed view?
You have posted this questions in several areas.

The rear view camera works only in reverse, but depending on how the install was done, you could fit a manual switch. On my setup, the signal to switch to the camera is take from the reverse signal fed to the navi, so it automatically switches. This could have also been a manual switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
rear view camera

wow. great idea. i guess it takes a flight operations guy to figure this out. the toyota people have no idea, and/or told me that mucking with the electronics might void my warrenty. when i get my car, i'll persue it again.

thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts