Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That has happend to me twice in the past week.

I went to the local mobile station to get milk tonight, actualy I was looking for a reason to drive in the snow, anyways I parked near the gas pump locked the card and went in to get milk. I came out and touched the door handle (not the black button) to open and it would not. This happend to me earlier in the week when I got gas. I had to unlock the car pressing the unlock button on the smart key. I got in the car and everything was fine. My thought is that the Mobile Speed System at the pump is confusing the car is this possible. By the way the Prius is good in the snow but I will definetly be getting Blizzard Snow Tires for next season.

Anyways any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had that problem this week, myself. Came out of the bank and I couldn't open the car and then, after using my unlock button on the fob, when I got inside and had replaced my key in my purse, I tried to start 'er up and got the little icon complaining that there was no key. Hmmm. Took the smart key out of my purse and tried again and it was fine. Next stop everything worked as it is suppose to and haven't had any problems since. I did make sure that I know how to change the battery and have one with me in case it happens again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
SKS

Don't know if this is your problem, but others have had similar problems (me, too, on the day I picked car up from dealer). Problem was caused by the OTHER key having been left inside the car. THAT's what was confusing the system. Check and make sure your other key isn't in a bag or compartment somewhere in the car.

marlowe

·
Registered
344 Posts
have a cell phone right next to your smartkey? that'll do it. but yes, the speedpass has been recognized as a problem, but as hyperion points out it's not a problem on all prii.

having 2 fobs in the car won't confuse anything- my husband and i often each bring ours with us and it hasn't caused a problem.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
galaxee said:
having 2 fobs in the car won't confuse anything- my husband and i often each bring ours with us and it hasn't caused a problem.
It will if you try and lock the car via SmartKey. However, if the door is already locked, I believe it will unlock even if a key is still inside. I'll have to check on that sometime, probably on a weekend since my parents have my other fob for emergencies. They live close by.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I sometimes have issues when my cell phone is in my hand with my keys, or when I have it sitting in the center drink holder with my cell phone laying on top of it... I guess the cell phone frequencies interfere. I would guess this is the same if maybe your cell was in your purse too..

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm betting cell phone as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thank you everyone. I really dont think its the cell phone because I always carry my cell on a belt clip. The second Key Fob was at home not in the car. I really belive it was the "Speed Pass " Sensor on the Gas Pump itself. I parked next to a gas pump like I was going to fill up and just went in and got milk. (same as prior time it happend)

Thanks Everyone

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cell phone interferrance is highly unlikely as my fob and cell phones each have their own places in my purse and never vary. It was just that one time so far. That's why my first assumption was battery failure. I have had my car for 16 months so it isn't unreasonable.

I'm ready now, though, should it fail completely.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I carry 2 cell phones as well and do not have problems with the SmartKey. Sometimes I think that the purse and my body do not line up correctly and if I just move my bag closer the SKS will kick in. The SpeedPass is more likely to cause problems.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Since you have a 2005, the oscillators should have been updated already... (Some of the early 2004s had a problem with the pump-style Mobil Speedpass units (that read off of a box mounted on the car), and a TSB updated the door oscillators to fix it.)

The most common reason for my husband's smart keyfob to not be recognized by the door is that something physical (usually metal) is blocking it. That might be his cellphone in the pocket next to the keyfob, or it might be his iPod, or that he's carrying a parcel between the keyfob and the car...

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the smart functions can be "jealous" in that if you had locked the doors with the remote button (and maybe also if you manually locked the doors from the inside the car button), it won't listen to the smart function to unlock it later (requires the remote button to unlock).

·
Registered
508 Posts
kkister said:
Cell phone interferrance is highly unlikely
Respectfully, not true. I frequently have problems with my SKS when my c-phone and fob are in the same pants pocket. I can only unlock my car by grabbing the door handle after shifting the cargo in my pants.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just saying that in my case the cell phone was unlikely to be the culprit as I've had the same purse and kept everything in the same places since last May and this was the first instance where I had a problem. I tried spinning my purse around and did a little dance and tried both the driver's door and the rear hatch. It totally ignored me.

Actually, I do remember another time when it didn't recognize my fob to unlock the door but never has there been a problem starting the car once I got in. I blame it all on sun spots.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just saying that in my case the cell phone was unlikely to be the culprit as I've had the same purse and kept everything in the same places since last May and this was the first instance where I had a problem. I tried spinning my purse around and did a little dance and tried both the driver's door and the rear hatch. It totally ignored me.

Actually, I do remember another time when it didn't recognize my fob to unlock the door but never has there been a problem starting the car once I got in. I blame it all on sun spots. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
smarkkey issues

I posted months ago that my smart key(s) "smart" function went south on me. Finally let the dealer play with it a few days ago. The Prius has been in the shop for THREE days now. So these smart features can be more than us average joes (joe-ana'a) can deal with. I'm betting they have to replace the entire computer. At 40+ thousand miles, am I ever glad for the EXTENDED WARANTY!! hehehe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.