Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Security Systems...
Ahh, nothing gives you more security when you live in a sub-par neighborhood than having a great alarm system (especially when you not only have a BRAND NEW CAR, but it also has $1300 worth of chrome at the bottom of it...)
I actually just bought what I consider to be an AMAZING security system, with some proximity alarms and a 2 way transponder so I'LL know if anyone's near it even if the car's out of earshot.
Only problem I'm having right now, is, as most car batteries are 12v, and I got an impression some are 20v. The Prius battery is at or around 500v. That means that assuming someone can be found to install this alarm (Toyota says no one will go near it because the high voltage makes it a "death trap" YES, they really said that.. Way to support your product, yeah?) Assuming someone will install it, what's to stop the 500v from totally devastating a system meant for 12v?

Is there some sort of converter, or a way that the battery's voltage can be modified enough to support this system? I find it really frustrating that I'm limited in what I can do to my car both with the non information Toyota provides, the fact I have a "death trap" and the lack of basic engine parts/energy forms (and I don't mean ICE) that prevent parts/items that can be installed in ANY OTHER CAR from being put in mine.

In fairness, I asked Toyota what other options they have for the alarm systems THEY can install and sell and was told (by the 'death trap' lady) that they have dozens of variations of the alarm system. Turns out that "dozens" really means I can add a glass breakage sensor to my car's current alarm.

I'm not worried about a window getting broken out. I'm worried about a repeat job of the $1800 in keying that was done to my car (that TOOK THREE WEEKS) and Toyota is basically telling me there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Long post, but basic question...
What can I do?

Thanks in advance for the replies, and, has anyone else experienced frustration regarding this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The prius has two battery packs. the 500v one is the hybrid powertrain battery used to power the electric motor and generator. There is a small 12v battery that is used to fire up the engine, and run the accessories in your car. Check under you hood for it, it should be there.

P.S. it is about 1/2 the size of a normal car battery.

·
Registered
319 Posts
assagor said:
The prius has two battery packs. the 500v one is the hybrid powertrain battery used to power the electric motor and generator. There is a small 12v battery that is used to fire up the engine, and run the accessories in your car. Check under you hood for it, it should be there.

P.S. it is about 1/2 the size of a normal car battery.
Isn't it in the back on the right of the spare tire?

·
Registered
165 Posts
3 times wrong. There is no 500 V battery in the Prius, the nominal voltage is 202 V and there's some electronics to raise it up to 500 V. Second, the 12 V battery is only used to run the "accessories" (including the ECUs) but not to start the engine (hence its small size). Third, the 12 V battery is located in the trunk (US) or the boot (UK).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Probably :_> Tell the installers to stay the hell away from all orange cables, which carry 500 VDC. These cables should be energized only when the car is running so they should be safe when the car is off, but you certainly don't want them damaged.

Keep in mind that the car's own electronics will drain the 12V battery if the car is not run for more than about two weeks. Your added security system will shorten that time so it should not be used as a substitute for long-term secure storage of the car. If you knew the current drain of the security system and if someone knows the Prius' internal current drain we could calculate how much faster the battery would drain.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Which raises another point. Can the existing 12v battery be upgraded to a full size one, or at least to a more powerful one?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
richard schumacher said:
Yes. Tell the installers to stay the hell away from all orange cables, which carry 500 VDC. These cables should be energized only when the car is running so they should be safe when the car is off, but you certainly don't want them damaged.

Keep in mind that the car's own electronics will drain the 12V battery if the car is not run for more than about two weeks. Your added security system will shorten that time so it should not be used as a substitute for long-term secure storage of the car. If you knew the current drain of the security system and if someone knows the Prius' internal current drain we could calculate how much faster the battery would drain.
Richard, you're a godsend! I needed to hear something like that rather than having to return an alarm like this! I also called and verified the info with the alarm manufacturer to see if there's anything in particular I need to notify the installer of. He said as long as they stay away from the bright orange cables, don't have the car on, and "read the clamps before they start cutting, which any professional installer would do" that everything is gonna be fine.
I'm so glad!

Thanks for all the info and I'll let everyone know how the experience goes in case anyone else is considering an upgraded alarm install. It's through the Good Guys so this will be good to know for anyone living on the west coast, plus Nevada!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Victor said:
Which raises another point. Can the existing 12v battery be upgraded to a full size one, or at least to a more powerful one?
Yes, and several people have. It's important to get a sealed battery and to connect the safety vent hose properly though since the battery is in the same air as the passenger compartment. Also, the battery cables don't fit most battery terminals, so you either have to modify them or hunt down a battery that will fit. You'll probably also want to fashion a makeshift battery tray for the new size to keep it level and not sliding about.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thats good.

My dealer has just leant me the complete "Dealer Information" forlder from MRT for the Prius :) Lots of usefull info, how to program and delete the electronic keys for example and lots more. Still going through it. I guess it has around 300 pages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts