Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've decided to order an 04/05 Prius, but I'm hearing such different things from different dealers that I'm now totally confused. One dealer ("A") says that that Toyota has told them to STOP taking orders for the '04 model and start putting people on a waiting list for the '05. Dealer "A" says they know they can't have a new Prius for us until after during/after next winter (March/April of '05). All in all dealer "A" seemed to know a lot about the sales of the Prius and their ability to get them. For example he knew which "packages" were easiest to get based on the ratio of packages which Toyota produced. This dealer also says that the '05 is $300 more than the '04 (no big deal).

Another dealer ("B") says that according to their current allocation (2 per month) they *should* be able to have one for me in October/November '04. (He already has 12 on order). He says he doesn't have any documentation telling him that he can't still take orders. He says that at that time of year it is likely I'll get an '05 model. He says that his understanding is that Toyota has increased Prius production to attempt to compensate for the car's popularity.

Anyone know what's actually going on with Prius allocation? I would love to have one before next winter sets in, but the completely differing info from the dealers has me "spooked".

·
Registered
623 Posts
Both dealers should have a general idea of their own allocation, which is based on past sales. And obviously, both know how many folks they have on their waiting list. Maybe dealer B has a shorter waiting list and really can get you a Prius when he says.

Some energetic folks, willing to phone around, get on several waiting lists, and travel some distance to pick up tyheir cars, are getting them much sooner than folks who just wait for their local dealer. Apparently some dealers in isolated locations have very short waiting lists.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes they are available

Panjandrum, I started my "quest" for a new Prius just two weeks ago. I found that in some areas it is next to impossible to get one. Other dealers in remote areas have them available, albeit in short supply. I got on the internet and sent dealers an inquiry and got an answer from a dealer in an adjoining state who said they had one. It was a different color and had a different package than what I would have preferred but I put a deposit on it and am picking it up this next week!

I would suggest you determine how far you are willing to travel to pick a new Prius up and get on the Toyota website and click on dealer locater and type in the State you wish to send inquiries to and do it. You should find that most will answer you. I got calls from three dealers who had them in stock. Two of them were "taking bids". The other sold it at MSRP. Bottom line is, Toyota is still delivering unsold units to dealers and you have to put forth a lot of effort in locating them. Good luck!![/b]

·
Registered
6 Posts
got one in a few weeks???

two questions:

1. May I ask where you're located? I've been calling all over CA, NV, and AZ and have not found any.

2. What option package was it? I want a #9

·
Registered
31 Posts
It would seem to me that the delay and confusion is in some ways, the result of the allocation system itself, plus the fact that there are perhaps too many vehicle configuration options.

The whole thing gets even messier when the dealers fall over themselves to trade/ barter around the process. Constant swapping and dealing must be a nightmare to control, and to know what's going on at any one time.

The allocation system seems more akin to those images we see when a truck full of bread arrives at a refugee camp.

In some countries, every Prius order is a factory order.

I placed my order (Red #9 equivilent) 2 weeks ago and have just been given my VIN and told that production begins (and ends) in May. They say (Toyota Head Office, not a dealer guess) that the car will be delivered in June. I am confident that my car will not be "bartered" off to someone else offering a higher bid etc etc.

I guess I will have to wait and see whether the direct order actually delivers on time. I may have to eat my words.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts