Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was listening to the mighty Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles on the Prius' radio as I pulled into my local home improvement warehouse. The Dodgers were up to bat, so I didn't want to turn off the radio because, as you all know, the Dodgers lead the league in runs scored.

I pushed the park button, and it occured to me that there's no easy way to go from "Ready" mode to "ACC" mode without turning the whole thing off. Milton Bradley was at the plate, and the way he's been hitting I didn't even want to turn off the car for the two seconds it would take to go "Ready" -> "Off" -> "ACC".

Is there any real difference between "Ready" (with park engaged, engine not running) and "ACC"? Will there be any significant battery drain by leaving the car in "Ready" mode? Granted, when the Dodgers are hitting, it may take a while, but probably no more than 20-30 minutes.

DGStan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well with the climate control off, 30 mins is about the max before the HV battery drains to pink (the 12V will be fine). So if you're waiting for that long, you might as well keep your nicely charged HV battery and go to ACC

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tideland Prius said:
Well with the climate control off, 30 mins is about the max before the HV battery drains to pink (the 12V will be fine). So if you're waiting for that long, you might as well keep your nicely charged HV battery and go to ACC
So you're saying that if you're in "Ready" mode, the radio is running off the HV battery, but if you're in "ACC" it's running off the 12V?

What if you're parked, with climate control/lights/audio all turned off, but still in "Ready" mode, what's drawing power from the HV battery?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There are any number of computers, the radio, etc that will continually draw from the 12v battery. Perhaps even the capacitors for the brakes and other various units remain active and draw power when in ready mode. As the 12v is drained the HV will recharge it. No, the radio does not, ever, directly draw power from the HV, but the 12v will 'directly' draw from the HV any time that relay is closed (ie in READY).

In ACC mode there are a very limited number of circuits open that can draw from the 12v battery so it is drained less quickly and no immediate drain occurs from the HV batt.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
dgstan said:
So you're saying that if you're in "Ready" mode, the radio is running off the HV battery, but if you're in "ACC" it's running off the 12V?quote]

No, but the HV battery will drain. Evan's explanation is clearer

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
This is just a guess but since it takes several minutes between pitches everything is "moot" One push of the button without my foot on the brake lights my Prius symbal on the MFD and I am now in accessory mode and my windows won't operate but my radio will.
I have a portable radio with four double "A" batteries in it for comparison that will play over a week without being plugged in. The way I see it, that 12 volt in the car should handle the radio for one ball game. plus a couple more. Especially when the Dodgers get around to playing the Red Sox where Derek Lowe still gets standing ovations!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hyperion said:
Especially when the Dodgers get around to playing the Red Sox where Derek Lowe still gets standing ovations!
Seeing how the Dodgers and Red Sox don't play during the regular season, this can only mean one thing:

World Series, Baby!

BTW - How about that Dodger comeback this afternoon?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You're from OC and you aren't rooting for the (gag-gag) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?????

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KTPhil said:
You're from OC and you aren't rooting for the (gag-gag) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?????
Seeing how I don't have a local team any more, I can pick any team I want. Poor Arte's plan is backfiring!

Actually, I've been a Dodger fan all my life. I was hoping after the third or fourth ballot, the conclave would come to their senses and pick Tommy Lasorda for Pope.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hey, you stole my complaint: no way to go from Ready to ACC without going OFF.
I listen to seminars on the radio, and hate getting interrupted going to ACC so I can walk over and get the mail.

Pressing power button when in READY, whether brake pressed or not, will turn the car off.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
And press the power button again without your foot on brake and the acc and radio are again on. 2 seconds and just goes to show these cars were designed by mortals. Just maybe not by Dodger fans!
Remember, these are the same guys who forgot to add an ammeter so that you could have some idea of what was going on with the 12 volt battery, along with a coolant temp guage and lets see, what else did they forget? Oh yes, some indication that the engine was running and some indication of oil pressure. But of course the radio is the most important.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hyperion said:
But of course the radio is the most important.
I'm not sure we're implying that the radio is the most important item. I was hoping that there was a way to go from "Ready" directly to "ACC" without having to reboot the car. Something like holding in the Power button for 3 seconds or maybe Ctrl+Alt+Power.

But if DanMan doesn't know of a way, I'll accept Toyota's oversight in this case. That is, until we find a way to mod it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts