Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
good read, it sounds like a good idea on paper but from reading the cons it sounds like the weight make the savings very marginal. Like maybe 5 mpg difference, still though 600 dollars to add on isn't too bad, I wonder how powerful the hydralic pressure is as it builds up to its max limit but so far no plans to introduce it to market.

Phil

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I always thought it was in the nature of fluids that they cannot be compressed? Isn't that why a hydraulic jack works?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
melgish said:
I always thought it was in the nature of fluids that they cannot be compressed? Isn't that why a hydraulic jack works?
True, the fluids themselves could not be compressed, but they can be made to create pressure by comressing something that is compressable, like a spring, or air, pushing on a diaphragm. This is how the brake accumulator works.

I'd like to see more, as I don't see how this can be cheaper to install, and deliver the amount of recouped power promised. I bet it is a whole lot bulkier, especially the pressure storage tank, which would be the replacement equivalent of the battery. Already, phasing out hydraulic based power steering, making the electric ones like on the Prius become the conventional ones, yet now the EPA wants to go backwards and return to hydraulic power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd like to learn more too: I bet the hybrid stuff on a Prius weights 190#; the extra motor on the AWD Highlander is about that I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts