Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the radio "messages" that are available with some of the radio stations broadcasting in my area....the name of the song and artist. BUT...these "messages" are disabled while the vechicle is moving...obviously to prevent the driver from reading the screen while driving. Does anyone know how to override this? My passengers would like to see this information and the amount of time the vehicle is "stopped" is quite short while taking long trips :D

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Nope, it won't, as the override is only for NAV ECU based functions, or rather functions that require the "I Agree".

You can use the method previously used for override before we found the diagnostic screen. There is a purple wire going to the display which provides speed info to the display. The side effect is that the consumption screen will not show 5 minute MPG updates, and the energy screen won't have spinning wheels when moving.

·
Registered
219 Posts
While I'm double-extra-pleased by my new Prius, this is one point of sore disappointment for me. Most of the time, there are two people in my car; is it so weird to think someone who'd buy a Prius is also someone who'd share a ride? But too many features of the otherwise wonderful user interface are disabled even though the passenger should be perfectly able to do them.

I can't believe there isn't a passenger override. Heck, the Prius even knows when there's someone in that seat; how hard would it be to only prevent those things when the car is moving and there's no one in the passenger seat? Perhaps that plus an "I agree" screen should be able to disable the restrictions for the passenger's use.

I am just really surprised that with the incredible attention to detail, they didn't even think of something so basic. Seems to me they must have thought of it and not done it anyway. Liability concerns? It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
508 Posts
jeffndallas said:
I really like the radio "messages" that are available with some of the radio stations broadcasting in my area....the name of the song and artist. BUT...these "messages" are disabled while the vechicle is moving...obviously to prevent the driver from reading the screen while driving.
Really? How come this isn't the case with MFD-integrated satellite radio? They're both using the same head unit and display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reading radio messages while moving

It might be the radio station, rather than the radio. In Indianapolis, I can see the song and artist info on stations while the car is in motion, but some stations do not transmit this information, and some do not transmit the info all the time. Try some other stations and see if you have any luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many stations in Dallas transmit this information. On the regular radio screen, this information appears as a single word at a time on the top of the screen and also on the screen preset buttons. In fact, many times if I switch stations, the partial name of the song (one word) gets saved on the button. BUT...some stations transmit this information as a "message" as well. When I tune to this station, the MSG button appears on the screen. If I am stopped and I push this button, the entire name of the song and artist is displayed on the screen (not just a single word at a time). But, if I'm moving, the screen will not display the "message" information.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jeffndallas said:
Many stations in Dallas transmit this information. On the regular radio screen, this information appears as a single word at a time on the top of the screen and also on the screen preset buttons. In fact, many times if I switch stations, the partial name of the song (one word) gets saved on the button. BUT...some stations transmit this information as a "message" as well. When I tune to this station, the MSG button appears on the screen. If I am stopped and I push this button, the entire name of the song and artist is displayed on the screen (not just a single word at a time). But, if I'm moving, the screen will not display the "message" information.
That's right. For some reason Toyota figures it's safer to be reading a slooowly scrolling message rather than have the whole message there to quickly scan.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The information shown for RDS broadcasting stations depends on the station sending it.

Most stations will broadcast their station name/ID/call letters, which will show up above the tuned number on the display. If it is too long, it'll scroll. Some stations have started putting the title/artist info in this field, instead of their station ID, though.

Typically, those RDS stations will also send a message besides their station ID. If you are going less than 5mph, you can view this MSG screen. Again, it depends on the station on what is here. It could be current or upcoming title/artist info, or it could be just an advertisement for the station you are listening to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts