Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, if you are driving with .. 40-45 miles/hours and would press the Acceleration pedal to the bottom, how much time does it take before the car actually starts accelerating quickly ? I've noticed on INJ. cars it takes more time then non INJ. and even more when the car is automatic ... it takes something like 900-1500 ms a second or so depending if it has to shift down first or not.

Is the prius reacting faster ?

Thank you for your responces ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
This doesn't directly speak to your question, but on a purely subjective level I have noticed that acceleration from a dead stop seems quicker when the ICE is running, as opposed to just the electric---there seems to be a slight hesitation until the ICE kicks in. While it's true that electric traction motors have highest torque at starting, that doesn't necessarily translate into quick starts off the line. Even so, Prius holds its own in this respect, as I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction on several occasions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've noticed the ICE rev. is especially noticable if you start from a stop on a steep hill, you have enough umph to start rolling, but it kinda leaves you hanging in the intersection waiting the few seconds for the ICE to kick in. Other than that, it is quite fast on the pickup with the ICE going.

Kevin
2002 Moon Blue Pearl 15K miles 6 months

·
Registered
928 Posts
When you "floor it" at higher speeds, the Prius responds instantly (faster than you can detect) with its electric battery boost (around 1/4 of full power). The other 3/4 shows up about a second or so later after the engine spools up. I'd say it's about the same time as an automatic transmission kicking down, maybe a bit faster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Max A/C?

So here's a heretical thought. Would you get off the line faster if the car were set on max a/c or defrost, thereby forcing the engine to be running?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RSnyder:
Hmmm, i was hopping it would be even faster :)

kevin_rf:
Hmm, not good ... but, i guess there is no other way :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing I'd like to say on the Prius accel is that going from regen to full power can have an annoying delay. Like when your lane is stopping but the next one is open and you dart into it. Normally the Prius reacts very well to your every demand, but in that one situation you will notice how fast the car in the next lane in gaining on you for a moment, while you wait for the Prius to react.

Freeway performance is actually very good. The CVT does its job well and you can accelerate faster than you would expect based on the power of the Prius and its weight (most cars at this weight would have more like 140hp, but you don't miss that 40hp with the CVT working its magic together with the electric assist).

I don't know how to accurately compare non INJ cars to carb cars. My only carb car is of '60's vintage - non electronic carbs are not real quick at reacting (well, they react, but not gracefully in the first 2/10th second). They tend to surge forward, then lag, then catch on. The Prius is smoother about this. Not quite as quick if your going from regen to full power, but faster when going from some power to full power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only thing I'd like to say on the Prius accel is that going from regen to full power can have an annoying delay. Like when your lane is stopping but the next one is open and you dart into it. Normally the Prius reacts very well to your every demand, but in that one situation you will notice how fast the car in the next lane in gaining on you for a moment, while you wait for the Prius to react.

Freeway performance is actually very good. The CVT does its job well and you can accelerate faster than you would expect based on the power of the Prius and its weight (most cars at this weight would have more like 140hp, but you don't miss that 40hp with the CVT working its magic together with the electric assist).

I don't know how to accurately compare non INJ cars to carb cars. My only carb car is of '60's vintage - non electronic carbs are not real quick at reacting (well, they react, but not gracefully in the first 2/10th second). They tend to surge forward, then lag, then catch on. The Prius is smoother about this. Not quite as quick if your going from regen to full power, but faster when going from some power to full power.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, again not good. This is one very common situation, when you definetelly need power in the moment.

Any other opinions on this subject ?

Like, are there situations where you are particallary happy with fast reaction times ?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I find it to be extremely nimble when darting around in city traffic. It has much faster reactions and much more precise control of power than cars that rely on gasoline engines. Also, it's small turning radius helps a lot in these situations. You don't need a lot of horsepower in city traffic, just a lot of precisely controlled torque, which is exactly what the Prius delivers in spades.

·
Registered
30 Posts
delay? - fast enough?

I speak on my Prius, I have only 200 miles on the MarvMobile, but first impressions are lasting. I did name the vehicle after 150 miles, that indicates attachment.

My other 2 vehicles are V-8s, which have been sitting for most of the past 2 weeks.
Most of my driving has been stop and go, crawl and jump lanes here in South Jersey. No long trip yet. I am very happy with the vehicle's "Pep" It does not burn rubber and slap your head back from a dead stop - I never expected that. I find I think ahead, coast and charge the battery when I can. People on my tail may get ticked that Im slowing down at a light or pulling away from a light at less than full power. Any delay in the MarvMobile is relative to my mental awareness and the baggage I drag along from cars of the 60s / 70s.

Instant response! . . . An instant (in time) in New Jersey is the time it takes for a traffic light to change from red to green for you to react to lift your foot from the brake to the gas pedal and the car behind you to to HONK!

In researching this vehicle I looked at the "Delay" Posts to this and the PriusEnvey site, some writers posted delay on the Vehicle's information display. The green and orange arrows between ICE and Charge Battery and Electric Motor - there is a slight response delay in the display. I looked for these types of items (Per web site Posting) in the multiple test drives I did - Not an issue with me. The after market indicator lights which provide actual fuel pump operation showing real time ICE operation. I like the idea of the aftermarket lights providing visual indication of fuel consumption / ICE operation. If using the NAV system or the radio display is up. Im trying to tweak those MPGs.

I find I'm changing my driving habits in a 2,700-pound vehicle then in my 2-ton plus V-8. Im still breaking-in the MarvMobile and not overly forcing the performance of the vehicle. Weird condition is Im looking at what I can do to improve my fuel mileage. Im not running with fast traffic I now consider them to be wasting fuel. I find my vehicles happy zone.

I drive (at work) a number of different types of vehicles up the length of New Jersey to meetings in the New York City area and each has its own performance window. The 4-bangers need response time to spool up for fast lane changes compared to the larger V-6s and 8s.

When we see in mass production all Electric Vehicles or Fuel Cell vehicles We will read about the quirks of these too, (some where on the web). Thanks to all who contribute and respond and the builder of this site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts