Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Check out http://www.calcarcover.com I've used one of their "Noah" covers for five years on a classic Cad and one year with one for my Prius. They'll even sew in a pocket for the antenna if you like but the antenna unscrews in a second and I would skip the pocket. A little "pricey at $200.00 but easily installed and perfect protection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to Hyperion for the suggestions on antenna and material choice.
I hane used synthetic covers in the past on other cars but after awhile ,they would become water absorbent to the point where they become sodden (in a heavy rain) and are difficult to handle in addition to allowing water and dirt to penetrate.It got to the point that whenever it would rain, I would take the cover off the car.

I tend to agree with you on the antenna since I can't see how it would be possible to put the cover on easily with an antenna pocket.(Maybe a flap of some sort?).

Since you had good luck with the Noah material, I will go with that.
Apprciate yo;ur rresponse. Thanks again. :shock:

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Robert... If you prefer to not unscrew the antenna, get one of the "stub" antennas. I replaced my original with a 2" stub and have noticed no degradation of reception. You can find them on eBay and numerous other places. I replaced mine for carwash convenience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stub Antenna Type

ChasSuitt - Sounds like a good idea.But which make or model fits the Prius?They all seem to be designed for cell phones.
Thanks for the input.
:shock:

·
Registered
68 Posts
stub antenna

I got a black 2" one. Here in the boonies reception suffers. Glad to send it to you $10 ppd, as new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stub Antenna

Ammiel,

Thanks for the offer,but we live in the Boonies as well and maybe better hold off at this time.
At this point, I don't see a good way to protect the Prius because of the antenna.Removing it each time may be the only practical solution.Toyota could capactor couple to the rear window defroster and maybe eliminate the roof antenna.

Robert

·
Registered
610 Posts
The "stub" antennas, as listed on eBay, detail the cars they fit. The Prius base is the same as others like the VW Jetta, etc. Stubs also come with several interchangeable screws.

I haven't made a "cross-country" since changing the antenna, but carry the original antenna along if I need to swap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cover/antenna

hyperion

Thanks for the the count (one onethousand etc) to remove the antenna.It's a good thing you stopped at two because at my age I would get confused above that and would not be able to remove the antenna.

Anyway, I ordered the cover you suggested but included the antenna pocket .The manufacturer says it works great! I'm sure he wouldn't stretch things (or would he?)

Anyway, thanks to all you good folks who were kind enough to discuss this cover/antenna issue.I'll have the cover in a few weeks and will report back at that time ,yay or nay.

Robert :shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious as to why you would want to cover the car anyway?

Both our cars live outdoors all the time (the garage is used as a workshop/store area) and I'm not aware of any problems that have resulted.

I can imagine that a car cover might easily do more damage (friction on paint, continous humidity and lack of air circualtion) than the open air.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
When you spend over two hundred dollars you get state of the art material. After several donnings the originally stiff quilt like material becomes very soft and flexible and putting it on and off is like "polishing" the car every time it is used. It's sort of worth the effort as it eliminates half your car washes and if you have to park where tree sap is a problem that is eliminated. Noah fabric is soft, waterproof, and allows moisture underneath to pass through. It will protect your finish from dings from small hail and I got mine for the time I spent in Texas. I've had one for my Cadillac convertible for five years and wouldn't think of not using it. The car always looks like it just came out of the garage.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hyperion said:
...and wouldn't think of not using it. The car always looks like it just came out of the garage.
Except there is no garage (otherwise, wouldn't need the cover). ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Noah Prius Cover

Thanks to Hypereion,

Got the Noah cover from California Cover, and it fits fine.The antenna pocket turned oiut not to be a problem once you get the routine down.Antenna first, mirrors second then front and back.

Although they initially indicated the Moah material was very water resistant, I can tell you that it is not. A long light rain and that baby leaks like a sieve.

It seems like a simple problem to me to make it water tight and rainproof yet breathable.They used to call it canvas and made tents from it .It did not leak.Not a drop.(Maybe just put a soft Noah liner under it).

Thanks for your help,

Bob

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Thats surprising to me Bob. My cover is now a year old and I washed it on the car last month just as I would the car with a bucket of car wash and a wash brush followed by a hose rinse. I then pulled it off and hung it over a fence to dry and my car was still almost totally dry. Wet, only at a couple seam spots. I also have a Noah "cockpit" cover for my Allante convertible which I throw over my windshield and seats when the top is down and the skys threatening. Gone through several showers with nary a wet spot underneath but this cover has no top seams!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Noah Cover

It's a lightwieght good quality cover and no problem putting the antenna in once you get the routine.But it leaks like a sieve during a long light rain.Checked with the manufacturer and they said "yes, it leaks" and no way is waterproof.
I'm happy withe the cover , but wish they would make it waterproof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a California car cover superweave for Cherry Prius. It is the only one that you can wash and dry in your washing machine. It is not impervious to moisture. Some small amount soaks through when the morning dew is heavy, but most of it beads up and runs off. But the real reason I wanted that cover: It comes in red and you can get a custom embroidered personalization, in my case "Cherry". It fits perfectly including the codpiece for the antenna. It takes less than a minute to put the cover on.

It was a little pricy. about $300, but I am very pleased. Priuses are nothing new to them. They know how to make a perfect Prius cover

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Scosgrove said:
...It fits perfectly including the codpiece for the antenna. ...
:shock: Um... I think that's Cherry's "stem."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts