Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all. I'm a 4-month Prius newbie with a Ubiquitous Silver 2005/Package #6 model with Nav, JBL, XM radio, etc. Having gotten a lot of help from the discussions in this forum, I've learned about many of the Prius mysteries - er, features - but am still curious about those high-tech knobs on that high-tech radio.

Yes, I've found that they can in fact control tuning and volume. But why, pray tell, do they have that detent position? Maybe it's to discourage unexpected manipulation by driver, kids, pets, passengers or spouse? Or something actually useful? I've found little reference to them in the Owner's Manual, or even here (although admittedly haven't gone through all 49,300+ posts).

I’m still in the learning phase of Priusness, and it’s a rare week when I don’t learn something interesting and/or useful about this remarkable machine. After four months of not knowing about those knobs, I really haven’t lost a lot of sleep over the matter, but... :roll:

Anyone?

·
Registered
457 Posts
but am still curious about those high-tech knobs on that high-tech radio.*****************************************************
Good question Jimmy. Whatever rationale you come up with for the wonderful disappearing volume knob could be become the official site response. Maybe it's a safety item to keep junior from hurting his head..?
Whatever...It no doubt seemed like a good idea at the time. ~JD~

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have seen this type of button on many other cars as well. I think it is just to have a cleaner look. It kind of makes sense if you typically use the steering wheel mounted controls instead of the knobs. In that case, you rarely, if ever, need to use the knobs so you may as well keep them out of the way.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it's so you don't blast the stereo unexpectedly and damage your hearing when you're cleaning off the face of the stereo...

oh-you mean i'm the only one that's done that? :oops:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Personally, the only button I use with the radio is on/off. Everything else I use the steering wheel control or voice. So my buttons stay tucked away, collecting less dust and making the dash that much easier to Swiffer off....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I never use them, I use the steering wheel controls exclusively. (Well, I do use the dash controls when out of town, and none of my presets match anything.)

My wife, however, likes old-school analog controls. She likes to wheel through the stations, and likes the 'tactile' control of the volume.

I have an odd 'boom box' that has a wheel that scrolls through your presets, but with '+/-' buttons for both volume and frequency hopping. (Yes, the wheel only does presets, if you want to search manually, you have to hit + or - over and over...) That is the most annoying control scheme ever. (If I haven't used it in a while, I tend to try 'scrolling' for volume, only to find myself quickly changing stations.) But, it can control my MD Walkman, and it's the ONLY boom box that can, so I put up with it. (So I can use a remote to play my MDs, and their titles appear on the boom box's screen.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That wouldn't happen to be a Sony boombox, would it? My Sony boombox I have in my bathroom is the same way.

I use the volume knob on the radio sometimes. Sometimes easier to reach for a knob than to push buttons.
For going to or finding a station that is not a preset is easier with the tuning knob rather than the steering wheel controls.

Analog knobs/dials/guages can have their advantages.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DanMan32 said:
That wouldn't happen to be a Sony boombox, would it? My Sony boombox I have in my bathroom is the same way.
Why yes, yes it is. :p

DanMan32 said:
I use the volume knob on the radio sometimes. Sometimes easier to reach for a knob than to push buttons.
For going to or finding a station that is not a preset is easier with the tuning knob rather than the steering wheel controls.

Analog knobs/dials/guages can have their advantages.
Yeah, I guess, now that I think about it, I *DO* use the dash 'FM' button and volume knob occasionally, when switching between 'real tuner' FM1 and 'FM2 set to my iPod's radio transmitter frequency', because the iPod FM transmitter needs the radio turned up about double to be at the same volume. I tend to forget that my volume is at '40' when switching back to live radio, and have to quickly spin the dial down as my ears almost explode.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Collapsing knobs are a pretty common feature on a lot of radios. Most of the time I've seen it with regard to the balance, fade and tone controls rather than volume and tune. However, since the Prius has remote volume and tune on the steering wheel, I use those instead and keep the knobs in. Plus it gives the dash a cleaner look.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm a radio person from way back. I just enjoy not knowing what's playing next. So I leave my radio on all the time using the steering wheel for mode and volume changes. My passenger tends to use the button. I love having a CD player, but truthfully don't play them that often.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Personally, the only button I use with the radio is on/off. Everything else I use the steering wheel control or voice. So my buttons stay tucked away, collecting less dust and making the dash that much easier to Swiffer off....
Did you know that if you press and hold the "mode" button" for about 3 seconds this will turn the audio system on and off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts