Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Radar dectector plugged into the Pruis cigarette lighter? Do you think that could be a problem? Do you think you could have a clear view in the back window? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:?

Are you planning on speeding? The Prius gets its best MPG at slower speeds and isn’t that the main reason we get a Prius?

Since I've gotten my2004 Prius I have changed my driving habit of starting late, driving TOO fast and getting there with tons of gasoline used and “I didn't get caught by the cops this time". I don't mean to sound New Age, but since I've gotten the Prius, I may have gotten to where I'm going 5 to 10 minutes later then before, but I’m getting their with a clean conscience regarding the Law and the environment. I find that I don’t get into the road rage syndrome, and that calm goes with me after I leave the car.

I feel privileged to drive a Prius, and when I see someone speeding down the fast lane at over 75 with a Prius I feel that person is setting a bad example. Being in a Prius is a statement, a statement that you care about others, because you care what impact you are making on the world we live in.

I’m saying all this really more to myself, because, I don’t want to fall back into my old habit, and loose this wonderful feeling that I’m sure many of us Prius owners feel.

NiMHPrius

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just use cruise control set to the posted limit myself. 8)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I usually drive the speed limit plus or minus 5 MPH, depending on traffic. I love driving slower when traffic permits, 'cause then I get some really crazy bragging rights at work the next time I fill up the tank!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I kinda like thinking that Prius = power. Not Prius = putt-putt. Sure, it'll never scare a Mustang or Corvette, but I like that I didn't have to sacrifice get-up-and-go when I got this car. It looks cool, has cool toys in it, and gets great gas mileage. What's not to love?

Install that radar detector and really get your friends to thinking! :shock:

·
Registered
397 Posts
NiMHPrius said:

Are you planning on speeding? The Prius gets its best MPG at slower speeds and isn’t that the main reason we get a Prius?

Since I've gotten my2004 Prius I have changed my driving habit of starting late, driving TOO fast and getting there with tons of gasoline used and “I didn't get caught by the cops this time". I don't mean to sound New Age, but since I've gotten the Prius, I may have gotten to where I'm going 5 to 10 minutes later then before, but I’m getting their with a clean conscience regarding the Law and the environment. I find that I don’t get into the road rage syndrome, and that calm goes with me after I leave the car.

I feel privileged to drive a Prius, and when I see someone speeding down the fast lane at over 75 with a Prius I feel that person is setting a bad example. Being in a Prius is a statement, a statement that you care about others, because you care what impact you are making on the world we live in.

I’m saying all this really more to myself, because, I don’t want to fall back into my old habit, and loose this wonderful feeling that I’m sure many of us Prius owners feel.

NiMHPrius
Well put. Developing this type of driving attitude is good for the car, the environment and the driver. (I swear that my blood pressure actually drops when I get behind the wheel of my Prius.)
Yesterday I yielded to an aggressive driver and for the next fifteen minutes I could see that car ahead of me, switching lanes, accelarating, braking, swerving--in short, worked furiously to make headway through fairly heavy traffic. Not only is this kind of behavior dangerous, it wastes a tremendous amount of gas. Ironically, we ended up right next to each other at FIVE subsequent traffic lights. It was funny, but sad.
Drive happy, you'll live longer,
Moo :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
BIF said:
I love driving slower when traffic permits, 'cause then I get some really crazy bragging rights at work the next time I fill up the tank!
Is THAT your secret? 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I'm going from an '02 Corvette to the Prius so I will keep my V1 and pretend like I am in a racecar :D

But seriously, if I DO want to use it, is there an accessory wire I can tap in to instead of the cigarette lighter?

Patrick

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
TechnoMage said:
BIF said:
I love driving slower when traffic permits, 'cause then I get some really crazy bragging rights at work the next time I fill up the tank!
Is THAT your secret? 8)
Hee, hee! Really, I have no secrets...just a foot that can find the "sweet spot" for any given road, incline, wind direction, etcetera! Oh yeah, and I try to stay off of I-4 during rush hour!

·
Registered
7 Posts
radar speed detecter

I echo niMHPrius's response to nameif's inquiry. I feel like a combination Boy Scout and test pilot, driving my '04 Prius. I'm STILL trying to become adept at using the good stuff that came with the car (with the help of the "Prius User's Guide, 2d Draft" I obtained on the Internet). I stop for pedestrians at unmarked intersections; I allow folks that want to turn left in front of me to do that even when I have right-of way, and I drive at the speed limit with a saintly serenity. (It does pay off: I returned home to Santa Barbara from Las Vegas after filling the tank there and filling up again once home, and I kept the cruise control at 64 mph: I got 55.92 mpg. Mind you, the LV-LA(SB) trip is more downhill than uphill, and I had both a tailwind and light traffic. Still . . . .) I am, in short, Setting A Good Example, by what I drive and the way I drive it. If Navigator drivers don't like the slightly superior, faintly tolerant smile I favor them with, they can deal with it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
nameif said:
Has anyone used a Radar dectector plugged into the Pruis cigarette lighter? Do you think that could be a problem? Do you think you could have a clear view in the back window? Thanks for your advice.
If you feel like driving fast now and then it seems to me that that's your business. A nice thing (if you have the Pri classic) is that it looks like a nothing car to passing troopers. Even if you are doing 75 it looks like its going about 45...(G) In your 'Vette you were a juicy target.

I take it you have a Valentine One, arguably the best radar detector civilians can buy. The Valentine should pull less than an amp. If it blows fuses then you have a problem. If not, then plug it as you like.

You can check its rear view by walking around in back of the car and seeing if the rear radar window has a clear line of sight through the back window. If you have it trying to see through the headrests or the trunk or something it will naturally work less well. A rule of thumb is that a higher mount can see farther, which is better for you.

One thing to consider is that cops hate radar detectors. This is because they work, which means they have to work harder, which means they hate those little machines, etc.

If you are going to have the car a while I would suggest you look into some kind of concealed mounting. If Joe Law sees it he will think that you spent money on a tool to facilitate breaking the law and thus you must be a habitual violater. A cop may not be able to write you up for having it sitting on the dash, but he can, and will look at you harder, looking for something he *can* get you for if he wants to. After all if you are a scofflaw you must deserve it, no?

Best of luck, and don't forget to write and let us know what the Pri is like up there in three digit country!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do have a Valentine 1, great radar detector. I do think the Prius is unsuspecting... and I remember someone saying a good argument if you do get pulled over is simply "Officer, this is a hybrid-electric vehicle, it can't go XXX mph..." :D

Anyways, I have a remote display unit for the V1. In the Vette, I put the acutal radar detector behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side with just enough of the rear radar/laser detector sticking out the side. The remote display unit can go anywhere, well out of the way of prying eyes. And it has an inline fuse, which should help.

:)

Patrick

·
Registered
425 Posts
NiMHPrius said:

No. We are getting ours because its a good car with great toys. 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts