Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving down the 15 South this morning, a bit fast d/t being in the Dental Chair earlier and I see the "Motorcycle Cop" on the side with his little radar gun out. I guiltily look down to see that I am indeed in excess of the posted speed limit (83mph with the guilty foot jerk already occuring) and in the "fast lane" also a red flag for the ticket happy bike guys and NOTHING! Maybe the electric engine jams the frequency?? Afterall it is the end of the month, motorcycle cop, passing slow pokes.... maybe just an early Christmas gift??

and yes, I know it is not good for the gas mileage but sometimes you just have to get to where you are going. 42mpg is better than the 14mpg that I had with the truck so I am still ahead!

·
Registered
44 Posts
:shock: Well, how could I not reply to this. Here goes:

No, the electric motor has nothing to do with the radar reading (assuming it was radar of course, it might have been LIDAR, a different animal.) The most likely reason you didn't get stopped is because you were in traffic and s/he couldn't be sure which car exactly s/he was measuring. You see, radar picks up the biggest, fastest moving object (in that order.) So, if you were passing other larger vehicles, their speed would be displayed on the radar, not yours. There are radar guns that will pick up both at the same time however, and that's where the officer has to know which is which.

It's also possible s/he was conducting a speed survey, in which case s/he wouldn't stop anyone, because you have to measure so many cars in a certain time period. This is usually done to obtain grant funding or meet grant requirements.

The third option is that s/he simply couldn't believe a Prius was speeding. Most cops I know think I have to peddle mine and don't give the Prius a second look.

There are many other reasons, but I think you get the idea now.

As for cops being lazy, yeah there are some, but just remember who it is exactly that keeps our society from turning in chaos. As of this moment 137 of us have lost our lives this year keeping YOU safe. Over 50,000 have been injured this year.

And, while were on the topic of you being safe. Yes, the Prius is a pretty safe car to drive, but only luck will save you in an 83 MPH crash. And God help you if you kill someone else and survive, because you won't be a free citizen for long. So, it might be better to get where you're going in one piece (even if you're late) than not at all. :idea:

·
Registered
669 Posts
sutherlin12 said:
The third option is that s/he simply couldn't believe a Prius was speeding. Most cops I know think I have to peddle mine and don't give the Prius a second look.
Aha! An unexpected benefit! :lol:

Also reminds me of the time I had to go to traffic school and when asked why I was there replied quite honestly, "Driving the same speed as all the other cars and getting caught at it." I had a rather beat-up old pickup truck which was easy to pick out of the group...

·
Registered
44 Posts
'Tis true I'm afraid that I'd rather pull over a car I can catch and one I can't. :lol:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Habits

I do need to defend the fact that the Prius has made me a better driver overall. You are just more aware of what you are doing to your gas mileage. But alas my lead foot disability is long standing and difficult to re-train. I do believe very strongly in stopping at all stop signs and lights, pedestrian rights, turn signals, etc......

And everyone knows that it is pretty darned difficult to go the speed limit on most SoCal freeways, the lower end of 805, 125 and 54 scare me!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sutherlin12,

Greetings from a fellow officer and that was a GREAT answer. So true, so true.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Indeed, I can attest to the fact that seeing the "realtime" effects of speeding on gas mileage have changed my driving habits. Even when I'm zooming along in my Subaru RS, I find myself coasting and setting the cruise control at the speed limit. I think if all drivers could see the results of speeding on their mpg, they'd slow down!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
On the interstate where I commute, "they" have put on one of the big lighted traffic notice signs, "slow down, save fuel." works for me!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wasn't going to "weigh in" on this but one other item might be a factor, although you didn't mention it.
If there is a car ahead of you, the radar will read him first instead of you, even if you are going over the limit.

Radar is pretty interesting stuff and in the hands of a WELL trained officer,
you would be had....

I tried this on several runs and found it to be true with the Kustom Signals X band unit I'm currently repairing for a local PD.
After calibration and repair, this one will pick out a speeder at up to a mile, plus.

Dogtag

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Most states require that the radar-clocked car be the fastest, in front, and separated from other vehicles. This is because radar in not very directional; by itself, radar can only tell the officer SOMEone is speeding in that general direction. A ticket will still require the officer to identify WHO is speeding by other visual means. If you slow before he can establish you as the one whom the radar locked on to, he may not be abel to write a ticket that will stand up in court.

LIDAR does not have this limitation, since they are highly direcitonal, and usually come with an optical sight, allowing the officer to target a specific vehicle, which need not be in front, the fastest, or separated from other vehicles. He also need not energize the unit until he has you sighted. LIDAR detectors just tell you when to reach for your DL and reg; there is rarely any usable warning at all.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
sutherlin12 said:
'Tis true I'm afraid that I'd rather pull over a car I can catch and one I can't. :lol:
That's an odd comment, don't ya think? I don't know ANY recently-built police car that can't catch most vehicles, even high performance sports cars.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hey, maybe some of the good officers here can explain some of these things that I've witnessed:

1) Cop turning his lights on just so he can run a red light or make an otherwise illegal turn. As soon as the maneuver is complete, he shuts off his lights and drives on. I've seen this on several occasions when it was obvious that he WASN'T on his way to a call.

2) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when there are others driving faster.

3) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when said driver was already being tailgated by another driver. Tailgater didn't get ticketed for following too closely.

3) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when there are others driving recklessly, weaving in lanes, swerving, cutting people off, etcetera.

4) Cops completely missing or ignoring plain-as-day violations, including dangerous lane-changes, unauthorized freeway U-turns, unsafe/illegal loads, and speeding (or should I say especially speeding). I can understand that cops don't have eyes in the backs of their heads, and they can't possibly see everything, but I wonder how cops sitting in a freeway median can miss some of the blatantly dangerous driving that's going on out there.

I respect the job that cops do, so I'm not trying to pick on you. But I'm not the only one seeing these things; my friends do too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BIF said:
sutherlin12 said:
That's an odd comment, don't ya think? I don't know ANY recently-built police car that can't catch most vehicles, even high performance sports cars.
Yes, BIF, quite odd isn't it. :?

Regarding LIDAR, for me it is actually slower than radar in obtaining a locked speed. Radar is pretty much instant. LIDAR requires the officer to be able to accurately target and track the speeding vehicle, which can be difficult when speeds are very high and there are stationary items (such as road signs) in the way. Additionally, the beam spreads out 3 feet for every 1000' so it's possible to get a different car than you intend at long distances. All I know is that 99% of the time, by the time you see me, I've already "seen" you.
:wink:

As for cops ignoring obvious violations. There are many reasons (far too many to go into right now) why this happens. My advise BIF is to go to your local PD and ask to go on a civilian ride along. That should answer some of your questions. Beware, it will either scare the hell out of you or make you want to be a copper too. :D

Also, good to know I'm not alone here SgtKarl. PM me and we'll compare notes.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"All I know is that 99% of the time, by the time you see me, I've already "seen" you. "

Bingo. I use a radar/LIDAR detector, but it is inly useful to give me time (maybe) to slow down if I am only a little over the limit. Even then, I drive so that I (a) do not attract attention, so no lane changing to gain ten feet, and (2) I am never the lead car and separated from others. The idea is to make other drivers the more blatant violator in those situations where "everyone is doing it."

LIDAR allows the officer to target a car that is not necessarily out front. It may allow for his personal prejudice to enter the decision of who to cite. I recently got a ticket (sans detector, but it wouldn't have helped) in a 25 school zone (even though it is well past the school and no peds areallowed due to the shoulder configuration) doing 38. The average speed is 45. I feel I was targetted since now when I drive the limit I am tailgated literally two feet by impatient soccer moms in their SUVs. This is a far greater safety hazard than my speed was. So I feel there can be personal choice by the officer of whom to cite, but that's just the way it is--I can't change that, and pionting it out out will not change a judge's mond. So I paid and drive slow there. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
44 Posts
KTPhil said:
I am never the lead car and separated from others. The idea is to make other drivers the more blatant violator in those situations where "everyone is doing it."
We call those guys out front "pace cars" or "radar bait." :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
BIF said:
Hey, maybe some of the good officers here can explain some of these things that I've witnessed:

1) Cop turning his lights on just so he can run a red light or make an otherwise illegal turn. As soon as the maneuver is complete, he shuts off his lights and drives on. I've seen this on several occasions when it was obvious that he WASN'T on his way to a call.

What do YOU mean "obvious". Let's see, I have been "cancelled" before shortly after responding...I have wanted to "check out something" I thought I saw, only to find it was gone or "OK"...I have turned on a violator only to notice it would be MORE dangerous to chase it down...I have been on one of those "hot" calls that the citizen wants us there right now but "official PD policy" will not allow full response, so I "cheat" a bit (yes, most officers WANT to help as fast as they can)...get my POINT!

2) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when there are others driving faster.

Golly Gomer, I can only stop one car at a time....and once I pick up a car on my LIDAR or RADAR, I need a tracking history so it's "your lucky day"...Since when does someone committing a worse crime make you immune.

3) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when said driver was already being tailgated by another driver. Tailgater didn't get ticketed for following too closely.

See above and lead car usually gets the hit...just the way it is...see above again

3) Cops tagging a driver for speeding when there are others driving recklessly, weaving in lanes, swerving, cutting people off, etcetera.

Gee, it is usually the speeder that is doing this and so, when I catch the speeder, I thought I caught one of those as well. Something tells me this stuff happened to you and you are just getting ulcers remembering it.

4) Cops completely missing or ignoring plain-as-day violations, including dangerous lane-changes, unauthorized freeway U-turns, unsafe/illegal loads, and speeding (or should I say especially speeding). I can understand that cops don't have eyes in the backs of their heads, and they can't possibly see everything, but I wonder how cops sitting in a freeway median can miss some of the blatantly dangerous driving that's going on out there.

Go out there with an officer yourself sometime...your eyes will be OPENED!

I respect the job that cops do, so I'm not trying to pick on you. But I'm not the only one seeing these things; my friends do too.

NO YOU DON'T and NEITHER do your friends. With FRIENDS like you, we cops sure the heck don't need enemies. It is doubtful you talk this way behind the backs of people you respect.

Thanks.
Now, I'm not saying there are not bad cops out there, but you are not talking about bad cops, you are impugning ALL cops. Just because YOU don't understand doesn't make it a problem. Ge educated, go to a Citizens Police Acadmeny, see if your dept does ride alongs. Or just sit there and be an armchair analyzer. I get more stress on my job from the "concerned citizens" than I do from criminals.. At least THEY aren't duplicitous in their thinking.....I respect the job....yep...Dems respect the Troops too!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself Karl, although I thought about it and ultimately decided I just couldn't be bothered to try. :lol:

·
Registered
370 Posts
sutherlin12 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself Karl, although I thought about it and ultimately decided I just couldn't be bothered to try. :lol:
Really???

You couldn't have said it better? You couldn't have been less condescending and less insulting? Does law enforcement truly regard "concerned citizens" with such contempt?

We're told to "get educated". This was an excellent chance to educate us, but instead the poster is berated. It's difficult to pick up anything from a lesson when you are being called "Gomer" (unless that's his real name - I don't know).

Trust me, I don't envy the job law enforcement officials have to perform and I know I could never do it. I would, however, like to believe that law abiding citizens are considered "friends" of LE and would be treated as such. Perhaps this is unrealistic. It appears that in your eyes we're all guilty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dgstan said:
sutherlin12 said:
Really???

You couldn't have said it better? You couldn't have been less condescending and less insulting? Does law enforcement truly regard "concerned citizens" with such contempt?

We're told to "get educated". This was an excellent chance to educate us, but instead the poster is berated. It's difficult to pick up anything from a lesson when you are being called "Gomer" (unless that's his real name - I don't know).

Trust me, I don't envy the job law enforcement officials have to perform and I know I could never do it. I would, however, like to believe that law abiding citizens are considered "friends" of LE and would be treated as such. Perhaps this is unrealistic. It appears that in your eyes we're all guilty.
Now that's just no way to be. :shock: I didn't think I was being condesending. I was trying to be funny. :? I don't take this anti-cop crap too seriously and I'm sorry you didn't see the humor in it. I don't know what you do for a living, but I highly doubt it carries as much verbal abuse and potential for death as what I do for a living. If I can laugh about it, don't you think you could too. :wink:

Let's share a donut and be "friends" citizen. 8)

·
Registered
370 Posts
sutherlin12 said:
dgstan said:
sutherlin12 said:
Really???

Now that's just no way to be. :shock: I didn't think I was being condesending. I was trying to be funny. :? I don't take this anti-cop crap too seriously and I'm sorry you didn't see the humor in it. I don't know what you do for a living, but I highly doubt it carries as much verbal abuse and potential for death as what I do for a living. If I can laugh about it, don't you think you could too. :wink:

Let's share a donut and be "friends" citizen. 8)
sutherlin,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were being condescending. I was refering to the previous post (where the replies are highlighted in red). Wasn't that text posted by Sgt. Karl? When you said that you "couldn't have said it better", I was thinking that perhaps you might have chosen a different tone than the Sgt.
While I endure a great deal of idiots in my job and plenty of verbal abuse, very few of them carry weapons. Like I said, I don't envy you guys at all. When I see the pay scale offered to LE I am appalled. A couple of years ago, there was an article that stated the starting pay for a police officer in San Diego was $25K/yr. Now that's criminal!

Mmmmm, donuts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts