Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prius is gone. On the second of December, I was driving my 2005 Silver AI package Prius on I-86 in a snow storm to visit my girlfriend. I lost control of the vehicle on the snow covered road and slid head on into the guardrail. I didn't have VSC and can't say if it would have prevented the accident. The point of impact was the left front side and it spun me around and stopped on the left rear quarter. I was unhurt thankfully.
The style of guardrail was not the traditional solid metal rail but three wire cables. Somehow, and the physics of this are unknown to me, the top cable actually went over top of my car, scraping all the way, while the other two merely ripped apart my front bumper and headlamps. There was extensive damage to the body of the car, but it remained drivable (technically, not legally).
Replacement parts included a new hood, windshield, roof, antenna assembly, driver side door, rear spoiler, 95 pieces in all. The first estimate was $15,000. My insurance would pay for all of the repairs minus my deductable. Later, upon closer inspection inside the car, more stuff was found putting the final cost at nearly $20,000. At which point, the insurance totalled it and would simply write me a check for the value of the car. I feared the worst. I was delighted to hear I would be getting $1000 more than what Kelley Blue Book approximated (kbb.com).
I have since reserved a new 2006 Seaside Pearl with dark gray interior Package #2 (the next available package in my region is #6 which is a $3000 hike in price. For as much as I'd like the side airbags and VSC, I can't afford that.) I should get the car just in time for the new tax credit.
For now, I am stuck driving a Ford Taurus. Turning a key to unlock my door, turning a key to start the car, wrestling with the shifter to put it into drive. Tears in my eyes the whole time.
Overall, this is an experience I would wish upon no one. However, my insurance company has been extremely cooperative and speedy and my only complaint is with the rental car company that is making me return my car 5 1/2 hours away from my home. When I get the '06, I can give you my comparison of the two, having driven the '05 for (only) several months. I almost feel lucky that I can upgrade so quickly. I was jealous of everyone who would be getting a new one before this accident happened.

·
Registered
457 Posts
All things considered, I'd say you came out of this accident pretty well.
It will be interesting to hear from others who have similar incidents WITH VSC.
** Have you considered trying to buy the HV battery from the insurance company..? (presuming it's in good condition) They may not know how valuable it is and let it go cheap.. Just a thought... ~JD~

·
Registered
40 Posts
r.i.p.

SwedishKing, according to your dealer, how long will it take for the new Prius to come? I'm hearing 4 to 6 months here in Southern New Jersey.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sjerseycraig
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:08 pm Post subject: r.i.p.
SwedishKing, according to your dealer, how long will it take for the new Prius to come? I'm hearing 4 to 6 months here in Southern New Jersey.
craig, my experience has been very different from all those people who say you must wait months to get a Prius. The wrecked '05 i had i drove straight off the dealer's lot without waiting a single day. and he had been the first dealer i went to looking for a Prius. i went back to the same dealer looking for the '06. he told me i'd have to wait months but then called a few days later telling me one became available immediately. but it was not the color or package i wanted. i called another dealer and he told me about two Priuses (Prii??) he would be getting the last week of December. it was arriving at the port of new york on december 16th. it was what i was looking for (seaside pearl, dark gray interior, package #2). it wasnt reserved to anyone yet, so i snatched it up. i'm not sure if the dealer just doesn't have a waiting list or how he does business. all i know is that when it arrives at his dealership, it's mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess thats a possibility. like i said, i don't really have any idea how dealers do business in situations like this with a car that's in pretty high demand. but from talking to him, it didnt sound like the car was supposed to be anyone else's. i would feel bad if someone's got to wait longer now because i cut in line for this car. considering the fact that i didnt have to wait at all for my first one, this two week wait for the '06 is killing me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting the '06 from:
Savage Toyota
Hamburg, PA 19526
Phone: 1-800-789-4935

I bought the '05 from (and had an '06 immediately available as of three days ago): http://www.motorworldgrouptoyota.com/

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Swedishking7, I'm glad it wasn't R.I.P.-you and if you can't afford VSC, please don't go without aggressive snow tires on all 4's and possibly studs. And perhaps slow down a little. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've never shopped for snow tires before. what do you guys recommend because it is a purchase i will definately consider.

·
Registered
65 Posts
swedishking7 said:
i've never shopped for snow tires before. what do you guys recommend because it is a purchase i will definately consider.
I've used Nokian winter tires with great results. This wasn't on a Prius, but on a Honda Civic and Saab 9-3. They make perhaps the best studded winter tire in the world.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: dealer

sjerseycraig said:
who and where is your dealer? Maybe I wouldn't have to wait as long with your dealer as with my local dealer.
Or maybe you'd have to wait longer, since he's letting other people to the top of the list.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
swedishking7 said:
Check John's website http://john1701a.com/ and look under Prius Info>Tires H. There are several brands of tires recommended (not necessarily snow tires) that may work for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I second the recommendation to get the stability control. And the side air bags. Both are extremely valuable safety features. It doesn't seem to me that package 4 would add much to your loan payment. I don't mean to take your financial situation lightly. But your life and those of your passengers are worth a lot, and I think that if it is at all possible, you should consider changing your order. In my opinion, these safety features should be standard on all cars. Good luck with your new Prius.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
package #4 would be my ideal package but it is not available in my region. the option combinations available in my area are package #2 ($825), #6 ($3,830), #7 ($5,730) and #8 ($6,890). the $3000 difference between 2 and 6 is a big jump.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I personally think the value of good snows way outdoes VSC (of course, both together are ideal; I do have VSC). I have quite good traction in snow using Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's--a low rolling resistance studless winter tire. For even better traction and control in snow, Hakkapeliitta 2's with studs are the best in my opinion, but some people speak highly of the more affordable Bridgestone Blizzaks. The slight downside of aggressive, studded winter tires is the noise factor and a lower MPG.

·
Registered
101 Posts
swedishking7 said:
package #4 would be my ideal package but it is not available in my region.
I've ordered the package 4 here in the Denver area. I hope my dealer can really get it. If so, you could consider flying to Denver for a ski vacation and driving your new Prius home. Air fares are really cheap right now. I don't know what the Prius option situation is in other areas closer to Pennsylvania. I suppose good winter tires would help a lot, although that won't help if you hit a wet patch of road in the summer. And they won't replace side curtain air bags. It seems ridiculous that they are only shipping package 4 cars to certain areas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I posted it here - but doubt anyone remembers it... I totaled my prius, so I know what you're going through... I was lucky though, I got the same exact thing within a month..

My advice to you is once you get the new one, act as if it is the original without your "incident” and just put it behind ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts