Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Motorola V600 and started using it
The basic use is fine, connects quickly with the Prius, sound is slightly muffled but very usable. The major issues are with the phonebook, both on the Motorola side and the Toyota side

Motorola side - When exporting the phonebook the Motorola will only send one entry per transfer. Then the Prius disconnects the bluetooth connection and you have to reconnect to send the next entry. Very inefficient.

Toyota side - When asked whether to overwrite or add the next entry BE AFRAID, be VERY AFRAID. "Overwrite" to a Toyota engineer means you erase your entire saved phonebook and start fresh with this entry. And there is no second screen warning this. Always select "add" if you want to keep your prior entries.--- What were those engineers thinking of?

I wonder, with Firmware updates, can any of this be changed?

Ron

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ron K said:
Just got my Motorola V600 and started using it
The basic use is fine, connects quickly with the Prius, sound is slightly muffled but very usable. The major issues are with the phonebook, both on the Motorola side and the Toyota side
Ron
I'm not sure how the V600 handles things, but is there an option to "Send all"? My S56 has it, and I've successfully used it to send my address book to my palm and vice versa. It doesn't work with the Prius tho.

A word of warning... if your V600 has an address book, as opposed to a phone book, be prepared to have the Prius mangle entries. It will only take the first phone number it receives per entry, and not all numbers. So if you have an entry for a person, with a work, home, and office phone, the entry will only end up with one number in the Prius.

I think it'd be best if they just let you enter numbers on the Prius itself, or like you said, fixed the phonebook system via a firmware update.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ron K said:
no, there isn't a select all.

The problem with entering phone numbers in the Prius - how do you add the "name"?

Ron
As far as I can tell, you can't add a "name" if you do them by hand.

Anyone else know how?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ron K said:
So we're agreed, great car, crummy software!!!!!!!
Crummy bluetooth software... the rest is great. :)

In all actuality, it just looks like some of the BT protocols are broken. It's handling of vCards is definitely broken. A fix would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Motorola V600: http://toyota.letstalk.com/bluetooth/toyota/v600_bt.pdf
looks like it's one entry at a time. :(

Nokia 3610i: http://www.toyota.com/html/bluetooth/im ... ctions.pdf
however that just tells you how to pair it, and nothing about the phone book.

http://toyota.letstalk.com/bluetooth/bt_userguides.htm has other Bluetooth phone guides. looking at the other Nokia phones, it's one entry at a time.
Looks like the Sony Ericcson models, and maybe the Siemens model, allow you to do a "send all" from your phone book.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a SonyEricsson T610. I have the Send All function. It works to a degree, but it cuts names down to 8 characters, and it doesn't upload secondary and tertiary numbers if they're under a single entry. Other than that, it's super cool. Phone stays in my pocket, connects with car upon power up, and I've setup 1 touch dialing for my important numbers. Receiving calls is great, the car lowers the radio volume to switch to the call, press the button on the steering and talk at a normal level. I love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well... I just had a chat with the guy who used to work for Nokia and been one of the developers for 6310. When I told him this story his response was quite simple: "The 6310 (especially the first versions of it) are not fully Bluetooth spec compliant. Period".
Possible solutions are : 1) update firmware to the latest one or 2) grab a new phone.

·
Registered
548 Posts
mrv said:
Looks like the Sony Ericcson models, and maybe the Siemens model, allow you to do a "send all" from your phone book.
My particular Siemens does have a "send all" function, and despite the fact that the Prius documentation said you have to transfer one at a time, "send all" worked just fine.

Now if only the phonebook were able to handle more than one number per entry.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Moto V710 anyone?

I'm about to buy the new Motorola V710 (Verizon) phone. Anyone have any experience with integrating it with their car yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bluetooth

FYI -- I have a Siemens S56 phone.

As far as the Bluetooth goes, I can upload the entire phonebook, or one entry at a time, whatever.

The Prius prompts me to overwrite or append.

There is the limitation on the size of the name, I think its' 9 characters, I had to play with them to make them fit.

After uploading, I added them all to the 3 1-touch screens, there's 18 of them in all, works well for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To clarify things for 6310i:

There are two versions of this phone and both called 6310i! The old one features goldish faceplate while the newer one is silver-ish (just like in Toyota guide).
The gold-ish doesn't work properly (at least for me) while I can confirm that the silver one works perfectly. No "copy all" feature anyway, but no disconnects evert five minutes. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Moto V710 anyone?

Thomme said:
I'm about to buy the new Motorola V710 (Verizon) phone. Anyone have any experience with integrating it with their car yet?
The phone book transfer doesn't work at all. I don't know if it is possible to enter numbers in manually. I only tested the hands free operation very briefly (didn't try receiving a call, for example).

Once they actually appear in the stores, I expect to buy one.

Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
Got the Moto 710

Dave -

Although they won't go on sale until 8/11 in Verizon stores, they're at Radio Shack now. Got mine last night. The Bluetooth handshake process was effortless. So far, I'm very happy with it, but like you said, it doesn't look like you can dump the phone book into the car's memory. Bummer.

I took it to a Verizon store to transfer the phone book from my old handset to the new one, and practically had to wrestle it away from the employees because they were all passing it around to each other checking it out. Guess they're excited about it too...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: Bluetooth

hbark said:
There is the limitation on the size of the name, I think its' 9 characters
Doh! You're right; I had a few long ones in mine, e.g. "Data Center" (11) which were truncated to 9 ("Data Cent"). :p

·
Registered
425 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
Ron K said:
no, there isn't a select all.

The problem with entering phone numbers in the Prius - how do you add the "name"?

Ron
As far as I can tell, you can't add a "name" if you do them by hand.

Anyone else know how?
I suggest you re-read the hand book as it is possible (according to the book - Not tried it yet personally) If you dont have the book look take a look at my site and goto the library -> handbooks. There you will find the user manuals and navi manuals. I think the info is in pt4 of the navi manual. I have a printed German version and I saw it in there today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Entering names into phone book manually

No Victor, sorry but I believe you are incorrect. You can enter text into the memo and calendar functions but not into the phone book.

Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts