Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not talking about gasohol, but rather CH3CH2OH.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using it as a heat source for housing?

With all the high powered engines around, why not use it in place of gasoline?

Is there anywhere it could replace natural gas or coal for electrical production?

What about ethanol vs methanol or some other biomass produced chemical?

·
Registered
363 Posts
DMH said:
I am not talking about gasohol, but rather CH3CH2OH.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using it as a heat source for housing?
It costs more btus of oil to produce (farm equipment, fertilizer, conversion, transportation) than it produces in btus of ethanol.

Ethanol is a farm subsidy program, not an energy policy. If you want to use a biofuel look into biodiesel (from waste cooking oil)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not as many btu's from alcohol, just doesn't burn as hot - - ever try to cook on an alcohol stove on a boat? Or cook with Sterno? Just doesn't work as well as petroleum products

·
Registered
13 Posts
bio-diesel is better, but it's not the magic bullet. The acreage you'd need for the plantations would disrupt any habitat. Get's us to the interesting question of what to grow? Food of fuel? Don't get me wrong, I definitely think bio-diesel should be a part of energy policy, but I don't think it's gonna get us through by itself.

I'd like to see more information on large scale bio-diesel production myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you'd be better off useing a gas turbine arrangement connectred to an electric generator and batteries. That way you might get something usefull, sort of a turbine hybrid. But the wheels run electricly only. Stepping down the turbine to drive the wheels would give too much of an overall loss as turbines are most efficent through a minimum range of speeds........... Good luck :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts