Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to Prius shopping. About all I know is that I want one.

Many months ago I put my name on the Prius list at a dealership. When I checked back with them recently, I was told the sales person my name "belonged to" had left the dealer's employ and my information had thus been lost forever. Basically I was told I had to start over.

This unhappy experience brings me to the internet, as a friend has just told me about PriusOnline.com. I would appreciate any help I can get with the following questions:

1. What is the best way to buy a Prius without having to wait for months on a list? My friend located a dealer with the car he wanted on this site, bought the car sight unseen, flew across country to the dealership and drove the car home. Is that what you recommend...or are there better ways?

2. If (1) above is a good way to locate and buy a Prius, what dealers do you recommend doing business with?

3. What "package" do you recommend? I know this may be a matter of taste or preference, but I wonder if there are advisable tactics to take with some of the options. I've been told, for example, that if you want a navigation system it is best to buy it separately from the car and have it installed after the fact. (A better GPS system for a lot less money, I'm told.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Not knowing where you live...

The waiting list is about over and some dealers have them sitting on their lots. From the posts it seems you should be driving your new Prius within a few weeks.

My neighbor picked up his Prius within 2 weeks and paid $1000.00 under msrp (Southern California).

As far as which one? I bought mine with all the bells and whistles. I keep my cars for a long time and love high tech.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quanah,

You don't say where you are located, but my advice to you is to call all the dealers in your local area (within a comfortable radius). You'll probably find some on the lot. When I bought mine, I was on a list and got tired of waiting and started looking around. I found the exact one I wanted a mere 50 miles away. Make sure you don't pay over MSRP. There's reports of people getting deals here in SoCal, but I think MSRP is realistic.

If you find that you will have to travel to get the car you want, see if you can get enough of a discount off MSRP to pay for your expenses/time. You can find some "long-distance" dealers in our "Dealer" section. You can read their threads to see what people have to say about them.

I've got a #6, which is the "loaded" version. I couldn't be happier. Sure you could get an aftermarket NAV, but I like the integration you get with the factory system. I also wanted the Bluetooth which works flawlessly for me. I realize the #6 is quite a bit more money, but you can recoup some of that if/when you decide to trade or sell the car in the future.

BTW - There was a horse running at Del Mar yesterday called Quanah Parker. Any relation?

DGStan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dgstan,

I'm unrelated to any horses so far as I know, though I have been alleged to be at least one part of a horse's anatomy.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm in Central Texas, if that makes a difference in terms of finding a car. Any recommended dealerships in this area?

·
Registered
12 Posts
negotiate for delivery

My experience from a week ago was that the dealers kept talking about the several month waiting list, but when pushed would agree "to find me something". My sense is that dealers want people believing that you have to wait, but with some negotiating you can get a car within a week or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quanah,

I'm in Dripping Springs and bought two Prius from Champion. My salesman and favorite service writer left them. I couldn't find a sales person to talk to when I was there. Their service was OK, but watch what you ask for. I was charged $30 to change the cabin ari filter that took me 15 minutes to change, including figuring out how.

I just bought an '05 from Charles Maund. I told them months ago I wanted one when the three years were up and I didn't want to have to recapture any tax advantage from getting rid of the '02 early.

Prius are in high demand in the Austin area, You might want to try Lubbock or Amarillo to see what's happening. Houston might be a good suggestion, too.

Good luck.

jn

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That $30, was that in addition to, or including the price of the filter itself? If it included the cost of the filter, that's not terrible. If pure labor, and you were having other things done, that's robbery.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quanah said:
Dgstan,

I'm unrelated to any horses so far as I know, though I have been alleged to be at least one part of a horse's anatomy.
I'll tell you one thing: Regardless of how long you wait or what package you get, you're going to fit in fine around here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i live in dallas. most dealerships have them on site, but not neccisarly what you're looking for.

i think demand in texas is quite high, considering the great distances most of us drive.
btw, dripping springs is lovely!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: negotiate for delivery

ratell said:
My experience from a week ago was that the dealers kept talking about the several month waiting list, but when pushed would agree "to find me something". My sense is that dealers want people believing that you have to wait, but with some negotiating you can get a car within a week or two.
Or that day. I just went in, and left that same day with a '05 Package #6.

No hassles, no waiting, nothing.

Shoot, I want to believe there is a waiting list, and that I got lucky, but I saw another Prius on that same lot today, that I saw last Wednesday. I think part of the waiting list talk is to make the car seem wanted.

Now, with gas going up and up, maybe that waiting list will become more real.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts