Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I took my 2004 Prius in this weekend for its 30,000 mile service. I purchased the Prepaid Maintence Plan/Toyota Auto Care along with the vehicle. When I brought the car in they said I needed to have additional services. The first one was having the Cabin Air Filter or HEPA replaced. Now this is listed as a Scheduled maintence item in the guide that came with my car. Toyota Auto Care is supposed to cover anything that is "scheduled maintence" so shouldn't this be covered by my TAC? My friend went to the same exact dealer with all the same stuff and his Air Filter was replaced under the Auto Care.

Also, they recommended an "inverter coolant flush," a "brake fluid flush" and a Fuel Injection service. Are these items necessary? They are pretty costly so I want to make sure I actually need them before I go through with this.

Also, recently I had to have a free "EFI Service" performed because they had improperly maintained my car. Is this a Fuel Injection service? IF so then I don't think I need to have it again.

Lastly, on a more general note, I am trying to determine if the Toyota Auto Care is really worth it. I paid about $1000 for this when I bought my car. Each time I have gone in the service write up has valued the service at about $30 except for the 15K service which was valued at $55. This will only add up to about $350-400 for all the 11 included services (I got the 4yr/55K service package). Are they neglecting to do services that the Auto Care is supposed to include? I am really suspicious about what's going on here. Please help!

THanks!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you look at your passport, all that is required as a thing to do for maintenance for the first 100K is oil/oil filter changes and tire rotations at 5K, and the air filters at 30K. The rest is inspections, no replacements unless inspections indicate replacement is in order.

Coolant is scheduled for change at 100K, then 50K thereafter. Sparkplug at 120K. No set change interval for transmission fluid. Note though that the transmission fluid on the Prius has a really easy life. No gears changing position that would allow for grinding, and no control hydraulics to get gummed up, and the fluid is the new type. You might consider changing it at 60K but it is not necessary.

Both air filters are easy owner replaceable items.

Therefore, I say the prepaid maintenance is a waste of money, and considering the ease of replacing the air filters and relatively low cost, they should include them in your prepaid. They got quite a bit of profit from you anyway.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I paid for prepaid too.. almost $1k. I wouldn't do it again--especially because the dealership I go to offers the same services at $35-$70 (which at 11 visits only adds up to like $770 max).

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Avoid fluid flushes that are premature to the schedueled service dates at all costs. Dealers use maintenance as a way of boosting profits by offering unneeded or unnecessary services.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.