Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I went and test drove a Prius, and after all the good reviews and a very nice test drive, I've decided I'd like to buy one.

The only problem is the whole waiting list thing. I don't at all object to waiting, I did that for my last car (3 month wait). The only thing is when I bought my last car, the folks at the VW/Audi dealer quoted me a trade in price and said that's what they'd stick to (minus deprecation) when the car came in. And actually, they did stick to the original and didn't penalize me for any deprecation costs.

At the Toyota dealer in New Brunswick, NJ, the salesguy wouldn't even look at my car to give me a ballpark on what I could expect for a trade-in. I personally think that I should at least get some sort of idea what they'd take on a trade in. According to edmunds, it's worth around 12K, but I know dealers don't give you the full cost. It seems only fair that I should get some sort of idea to help figure out the costs.

So my question becomes, is this typical? Does anyone have a Toyota dealer near the New Brunswick area they'd recommend instead (I can travel a little, so that's not a problem).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
It's a good thing you don't mind waiting. Join the club. You may want to read some other threads on this site regarding your 'order'. You can preference your color and options package choice, but Toyota sends what Toyota builds without regard for individual choices. You'll be put on the end of a long list. That should give you plenty of time to sell your car privately, where you will get much more than dealer trade in value, however far in the future that may be.
Good luck.

P.S. You can also buy one on eBay for 30 k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had considered selling it privately, but I kinda need it to get to and from work (70 miles each day). I'd just like to trade it in as soon as a Prius arrives.

Plus, I really just don't want the hassle of selling it on my own. I'll take the hit on the value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
I had considered selling it privately, but I kinda need it to get to and from work (70 miles each day). I'd just like to trade it in as soon as a Prius arrives.

Plus, I really just don't want the hassle of selling it on my own. I'll take the hit on the value.
I wanted the ease of trading in my car for my Prius as well but the offer from the dealer was about half (after haggling) of what various on-line trade-in indicators had me expecting. I don't know if this is typical of Toyota dealers or not but I decided that was too much of a hit to take, so I sold the car myself. It took me exactly two days and saved me three grand.
Drive happy,
Moo :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
I had considered selling it privately, but I kinda need it to get to and from work (70 miles each day). I'd just like to trade it in as soon as a Prius arrives.

Plus, I really just don't want the hassle of selling it on my own. I'll take the hit on the value.
You may want to shop your car around other (new and used) car dealers to see if any of them are willing to just outright buy the car from you. That way, you can get an idea of what the trade-in value of your car is in your local area.

Other places to consider selling are to see if anyone you know would like your old car and is willing to wait until you get your new car. Or, if there is any enthusiast following for your old car, there may be web forums like this one that have a "classified ad" section to offer your car in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moocatdog said:
I don't know if this is typical of Toyota dealers or not but I decided that was too much of a hit to take, so I sold the car myself. It took me exactly two days and saved me three grand.
Maybe it is just the Toyota dealer... I know my VW/Audi dealer was much more responsive, and definetly wanted me to buy. And I'd buy another, if only I didn't have a 70 mile commute each day. :)

But my point stands, the Toyota guy should have at least given me some sort of rough idea as what to expect.

-jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Its not that unusual. I dont blame the dealer actually. Because alot can change in three or six months. If they quote you a price today and in six months there is good reason to downgrade the original price you would no doubt feel cheated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
Maybe it is just the Toyota dealer... I know my VW/Audi dealer was much more responsive, and definetly wanted me to buy. And I'd buy another, if only I didn't have a 70 mile commute each day. :)
One other option -- when the expected arrival date of the new car is close, try to sell the old car (what kind of car is it?) privately. If you do sell it, just rent a car for the few days before you get the new car.

If you shop the old car around other dealers to get a price, then you know what the baseline price for either a private sale or a trade-in should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tjl said:
If you shop the old car around other dealers to get a price, then you know what the baseline price for either a private sale or a trade-in should be.
Yeah, I had considered that but why won't the Toyota dealer even give me a baseline at this point? It's not totally unreasonable I think.

I think I'll drive down to Lawrenceville and try those guys... maybe they're a bit nicer than the guys in New Brunswick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
tjl said:
If you shop the old car around other dealers to get a price, then you know what the baseline price for either a private sale or a trade-in should be.
Yeah, I had considered that but why won't the Toyota dealer even give me a baseline at this point? It's not totally unreasonable I think.
Perhaps the dealer thinks that they can be more successful lowballing you on the trade if you don't know what to expect as you are coming in to pick up the just-arrived new car.

Another reason is that if the expected date of transaction is far enough in the future, enough can happen to your car, or to used car auction values, during that time that they don't want to give even an informal ballpark number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Re Canada Trades..New Brunswick

Conundrum in Canada with taxes is that one does not have to pay the 15% tax on the value of the trade in vehicle.
So a 30,000 Prius with a 15,000 trade in only gets taxed on $15,000.
Thus a vehicle without trade is taxed much higher!
Sometimes one can get a private deal but arranged to have the buyer buy from the dealer who gives you the price adjusted for the trade in. This takes coordination and timing which in the Prius issue becomes difficult.
Thus the dealer figures that he "has" the customer by a couple of thousand dollars due to this trade in factor!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top