Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of going to the car wash today. One of those automatic, put your car in neutral type places. Any issues I should know about? I remember reading some concerns here about getting into neutral but I dont see what the problem is (or could be). Any guidance is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This makes me sound really stupid but I did go to one of those car washes that require you to be in neutral and I had the hardest time getting it into neutral but I finally did and everything else went fine.
I think the guys there thought I didn't know what they meant by neutral because it took me so long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just watch out for the battery vent

The only thing to be aware of is the battery vent (at least for the Classic model). Toyota warns against getting any water into it. I think your Prius will be fine if water sprays onto it--this is going to happen if you drive in rain or if snow accumulates on the vehicle.

So, as long as you can get the car into neutral, you should be ok. My experience has been fine so far in taking the car through an automatic car wash. If you want to be safe and not worry about it, you can just clean it yourself and you'll know absolutely that no excess of water has gotten in the vent.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Car Wash Hazards

For the classic Prius's, some of the previous posts said to put duct tape over the battery vent to keep water out. Take it off immediately after going through the car wash though. The adhesive is really hard to get off after you let your car stand in the sun for a couple of days.

Also, the owners manual says to remove the radio antenna.

On the newer models, I think I recall reading about the rear wiper getting ripped off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts