Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelle (or anyone), a while back you posted some Prius accessories, currently available in Japan, one of which I am interested in.

It was a lift mechanism to lift a battery operated, sit on, mini-scooter, the kind partially disabled use to get around, into the hatch back trunk.

Do you know if it is available in US ?? or have any further info about it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How to put the scooter into the Pri without a lift mechanism

When there is a serious amount of walking to be done I use a disabled scooter. Here is how I load it into the Pri.

I. Remove the scooter seat and put it on the ground.
2. Fold a rubber mat or movers blanket over the rear bumper to prevent the scooter from scratching the bumper.
3. Fold the scooters tiller down so it lays flat on the scooter body.
4. Lift the front of the scooter and lean it against the rear bumper, rear wheels on the ground and the front of the scooter leaning aginst the rear bumper.
5. Keep your foot behind one of the rear wheels to keep the scooter from sliding backwards.
6. Lift the scooter from it's rear, [the part sitting on the ground] and slide it into the Pri.
7. Push it into the Pri as far forward as possible. If your scooter has a lock which can prevent if from moving, engage the lock.
8. Put the seat into the rear hatch.
9. Fold the mat or blanket into the Pri.
10. Close the rear hatch and go.

Please let me know whether this works for you.

Arizona Charlie[/i]

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How to put the scooter into the Pri without a lift mecha

arizona charlie said:
When there is a serious amount of walking to be done I use a disabled scooter. Here is how I load it into the Pri.

I. Remove the scooter seat and put it on the ground.
2. Fold a rubber mat or movers blanket over the rear bumper to prevent the scooter from scratching the bumper.
3. Fold the scooters tiller down so it lays flat on the scooter body.
4. Lift the front of the scooter and lean it against the rear bumper, rear wheels on the ground and the front of the scooter leaning aginst the rear bumper.
5. Keep your foot behind one of the rear wheels to keep the scooter from sliding backwards.
6. Lift the scooter from it's rear, [the part sitting on the ground] and slide it into the Pri.
7. Push it into the Pri as far forward as possible. If your scooter has a lock which can prevent if from moving, engage the lock.
8. Put the seat into the rear hatch.
9. Fold the mat or blanket into the Pri.
10. Close the rear hatch and go.

Please let me know whether this works for you.

Arizona Charlie[/i]
Thanks Arizona, I am shopping for a scooter now. That sounds like a technique that might work for me & not require any special equipment.

Would you mind telling me the brand, name, model, etc of your scooter ? About how much does it weight ? Since yours works well with Prius, I'll make sure to look at that brand/model. Does the lifting part into the trunk take much effort ? Do you fold down the rear seats for it to fit ?

appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Often the scooter mfgs have special lifts for their own products - this isn't a new problem, after all. I mean, people who need scooters for mobility are not always blessed with sufficient strength to heave the thing into the trunk. And if you are an "ample" bear and need to get a larger scooter, it's worse. Even partially disassembled, a friend's scooter was awkward and heavy for me to heave into the back of the Prius. Those batteries are HEFTY!! Check with the mfg. Also, check with your disability/medical insurer. Sometimes they pay for all or part of the scooter and lift as well.

But you knew that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts