Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for my Prius, and I've actually gone ahead and bought a Sony-Ericcson T637 to go with it 'cause I have to do something while waiting, and I've only read of successes with pairings between that phone the Prius. I'm writing here as there isn't much that I can find around how the phone interacts with the car when driving which is one area I'm not clear on:

I know that the Nav system disables itself when you're driving the car, unless you homebrew your defeat switch or get the Coastal Tech "Nav - I agree" switch. However, I've also seen passing references that there's still no solution to preventing the Bluetooth lockout as well, but with no extra detail so I wasn't sure what was being discussed.

Does this mean that when the car is moving, the bluetooth is disabled? I have seen posts about receiving calls so surely it's still working in those cases.

So then does this mean that you can't make calls going out while driving then? I hope not, as the Sony-Ericsson T637 allows voice-activated calls out - so I'm hoping that I'll luck into compatibility that will allow the Prius to connect to the phone from the steering wheel and activate the voice-calling feature. But if not, then at least from the display.

So which of these fanciful theories of mine, if any, is how the Bluetooth system works when driving? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My apologies - I thought this was a technical question but realize in my newbiness that this very obviously should have been posted under the Q&A forum - how I didn't get this I don't know... (I guess I was too busy thinking of all the mods I want to do... ) :?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
When driving faster than 5mph, most inputs to the navigation system (exception for the 5 presets and Emergency locations) and most phone items (such as the on-screen keypad, contact list) are unavailable. With the phone, however, you do still have access to the 18 one-touch memory phone numbers, and you can still receive calls, while moving.

Some phones may disable the voice activations, so you may want to investigate this further... but it is a good option if you need to dial someone while moving...)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Coastal is working on an extension to his NAV speed defeat to include bluetooth, but the current one doesn't. The speed sensor is actually to the MFD that does the disable, and defeating this causes the wheel animation and the consumption screen averages to malfunction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts