Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a Prius, and I'm pretty excited about getting one. But I recently switched jobs and now I have a 90 mile round trip commute, I'd say about 95% highway driving. Right now it takes me about 5 gallons to do the daily commute so I'm filling up about twice a week-needless to say it gets very pricy to do this! I've read/heard that the mileage you get on the highway isn't that great with a hybrid car and you can do better with a smaller regular car. Since the main reason I'm looking to switch is to lower my gas consumption, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this question. Thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Highway mileage for a hybrid is usually very good (especially if you drive more than 5 minutes).

But there are some high mileage non-hybrids. A quick look through the first few pages (smaller cars) of the EPA fuel economy figures for this year provides the following cars with over 40 MPG highway:

Honda Insight (hybrid)
VW New Beetle (turbo diesel)
Honda Civic (lean burn)
Civic Hybrid (hybrid)
Toyota Corolla (manual)
Toyota Echo (manual)
VW Golf (turbo diesel)
VW Jetta (turbo diesel)

Prius is bigger than these, and I got bored looking. You can search as well as me and have the advantage of knowing what other criteria you personally apply to car buying.

If I missed your favorite, I apologize, I scanned pretty quickly for numbers at or above 40.

·
Registered
344 Posts
some people experience better mileage on the highway than in the city. the longer your commute, the better your mileage gets overall.

·
Registered
60 Posts
wittman2 said:
I've read/heard that the mileage you get on the highway isn't that great with a hybrid car and you can do better with a smaller regular car.
I don't know where you heard that, but If you keep your speed around 65mph you will get around 53mpg for highway driving.

If you drive 75-80mph you will get around 46mpg.

I think that is pretty good MPG's. alot of people say you are paying $4000.00 extra for the hybrid but the new $3200.00 tax credit wipes out that extra!
I think you would be foolish to pass up the chance to get one wile the the credit is available.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My commute is around 36 miles if I take the highway, and 24 if I take backroads. I average about 44-46 on the highway (but in the car's defense, I drive very fast) and about 52 on the backroads.

I would caution you to rent the car before you buy it tho. I never had an extended drive in it, and it can be an uncomfortable ride for long periods if you're tall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wittman2 said:
I'm in the market for a Prius, and I'm pretty excited about getting one. But I recently switched jobs and now I have a 90 mile round trip commute, I'd say about 95% highway driving. Right now it takes me about 5 gallons to do the daily commute so I'm filling up about twice a week-needless to say it gets very pricy to do this! I've read/heard that the mileage you get on the highway isn't that great with a hybrid car and you can do better with a smaller regular car. Since the main reason I'm looking to switch is to lower my gas consumption, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this question. Thanks!
One thing you might think about is delaying until after Jan. 1 to take advantage of the nearly $3000 tax credit for a Prius purchased in 2006.

On your other question, my brother in law is averaging about 45 mpg here in southern California, and drives up to 110 miles each way every day. His driving conditions change weekly, as he's in the film industry and the locations change each week. So he gets a lot of different conditions thrown at him. He is very, very happy with his Prius (and I plan to buy one after January 1 ... have a deposit down on one at my local Toyota dealer).

·
Registered
31 Posts
wittman2 said:
One thing you might think about is delaying until after Jan. 1 to take advantage of the nearly $3000 tax credit for a Prius purchased in 2006.
I'm a little confused about this whole "tax credit" thing. It used to be a write-off of about $2000. On a tax return, that only amounted to about $600 in savings. Is this new credit actually a "credit," that takes off $3200 of your taxes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, its a tax credit, not a deduction. There's some dispute about how much the Prius will actually qualify for, but the figures I've heard are from $2400 to $3150 (the latter figure given by the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy and quoted at http://www.hybridcars.com/tax-deductions.html)

The credit starts to fade out after the quarter following the quarter that the company sells its 60,000th high mileage car. So if Toyota sells 60,000 hybrids in the first month of 2006, you have until June 30 to take advantage of the credit. After June 31, the credit starts to drop.

If the 2006 is more than $2400 higher than the 2005, then buying this year is probably a better deal, as you get the benefit of the higher mileage, and the cost differential is what you would get with the tax credit over the current tax deduction.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
SYNCMASTER said:
wittman2 said:
I've read/heard that the mileage you get on the highway isn't that great with a hybrid car and you can do better with a smaller regular car.
I don't know where you heard that, but

If you keep your speed around 65mph you will get around 53mpg for highway driving.

If you drive 75-80mph you will get around 46mpg.

I think that is pretty good MPG's. alot of people say you are paying $4000.00 extra for the hybrid but the new $3200.00 tax credit wipes out that extra!
I think you would be foolish to pass up the chance to get one wile the the credit is available.
He's right, of course. Driving slower (to a point) will get you better gas mileage. If you drive at 50 MPH, your gas mileage will go up into the 60's. Assuming you don't get shot or run off the road, that is... :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
On trips that length averaging ca. 60 mph, my wife and I regularly get 60 mpg or more. The mileage drops if the weather is under 60 degrees or over 85 degrees.

The myth that the Prius gets so-so highway mileage originated with journalists who were unaware that the Prius' internal combustion engine uses the Atkinson-Miller cycle, in which the power stroke is longer than the compression stroke. They figured that, since the Prius runs almost entirely on its internal combustion engine at highway speeds, that it must get ordinary internal combustion engine highway mpg. But the Prius' engine is much more efficient than a conventional Otto cycle engine - about 40% compared to 26%. This gives the Prius terrific highway mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get better mileage on the highway. I still havent' figured out the city driving tricks. and i usually just take short trips on city streets.
i'm getting 50 avg.
get one!

·
Registered
420 Posts
DanMan32 said:
[email protected]? Wow! I can only dream of that. I average 45MPH, and can't maintain 60.
I think Colorado's thin, dry air must have something to do with it. A baseball goes 7% farther in Denver (to the chagrin of Rockies' pitchers - and adding injury to injury, the ball also doesn't break as much, so it goes that extra 7% more often...). The temperate climate also minimizes A/C use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
The myth that the Prius gets so-so highway mileage originated with journalists who were unaware that the Prius' internal combustion engine uses the Atkinson-Miller cycle, in which the power stroke is longer than the compression stroke. They figured that, since the Prius runs almost entirely on its internal combustion.
Just so no one get confused by that statement (as I almost did):

Longer power stroke than compression as defined by valve timing, not the actual distance the piston moves (as was the case with the original Atkinson engine).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Must be lol. I was doing 60mph back home on I-5. Only got 52/53ish mpg. Doing 70 drops that to 50mpg. (Better than the road trip in May in which I got 46/47ish mpg doing 70mph and a full load)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I just filled my tank on my way home last night. Got 63MPG for 70 miles. Average speed still 45 though. Temperature was moderate for here, but still mid 70's to upper 80's thus still requiring AC.

I believe having the oil fill just under full mark has something to do with it, though cooler, drier weather with less intense sun probably has more to do with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
its new for me!

i just put my down payment on my prius...........i'm really excited.....as i have been doing my research for over a yr & now i just decided to go at it .........i got package #5 .......i was 16 on the list so all the #6's were gone.........didnt get tideland pearl.........but got the salsa red.....this forum has really helped......& i think i have learned a lot from the members.........its good 2 know that there are such loyal members on here & hope to become another one! i just hope i have the same luck as most of ur with your toys!
cocoa

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: its new for me!

Cocoatreat said:
i just put my down payment on my prius...........i'm really excited.....as i have been doing my research for over a yr & now i just decided to go at it .........i got package #5 .......i was 16 on the list so all the #6's were gone.........didnt get tideland pearl.........but got the salsa red.....this forum has really helped......& i think i have learned a lot from the members.........its good 2 know that there are such loyal members on here & hope to become another one! i just hope i have the same luck as most of ur with your toys!
cocoa

cocoa,
Wait....don't buy a 2005! If you wait till january 1, 2006 you get a $3200.00 tax credit and a 2006 prius with neat improvments!
Don't do it ! you can wait 3 more months !!! be strong !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts