Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if I started the car with the key in my pocket, then got out of the car? Say i was carjacked or something.
Would it shut down immediately?

Also, say I go to the beach or some place where I know everything I have with me could be submerged in water. Is there a way of locking the keyfob in the car with the metal key so that if somebody broke into the locked car, say thu a window, that they would not be able to just start up the car? Is there a place where the keyfob is "invisible" to the car and therefore safe?

·
Registered
29 Posts
if the car is energized and you exit with the fob, it will continue to "run", until the power button is pushed. if you disable se/ss, then the fobs are always invisible to the car, just detach the metal key, and use it to lock/unlock the door

·
Registered
319 Posts
I really don't like how that works. You can get out while it is running and, it won't lock, but then someone can get in and drive it away. I started it up, then got out and put the key somewhere else, got back in and was able to completely drive the car. :x

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brian said:
I really don't like how that works. You can get out while it is running and, it won't lock, but then someone can get in and drive it away. I started it up, then got out and put the key somewhere else, got back in and was able to completely drive the car. :x
This is what I understand about the system; someone may correct me if I am wrong. The fob, whether SE/SS or standard, is a coded connector between the engine/electric motors and their power sources. The only difference with the SE/SS system is that the fob transmits the code to a receiver in the dash and thus need not be inserted into the hole in the dash. Once the circuit is closed (on), it will stay closed even if the fob itself is not present (SE/SS only). Once the circuit is open (off) i.e. when the power button is pushed again, then the fob is necessary to restart the car. If someone carjacks you and you have the fob, they can run the car as long as they don't hit the power button and turn the car off. With the standard fob or with the SE/SS system turned off, the car will not run if the fob is not in the dashboard hole.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Bob Allen said:
... If someone carjacks you and you have the fob, they can run the car as long as they don't hit the power button and turn the car off. .....
I definitely LIKE this picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BIF said:
Bob Allen said:
... If someone carjacks you and you have the fob, they can run the car as long as they don't hit the power button and turn the car off. .....
I definitely LIKE this picture.
It would be better if the car would only run a limited distance. This would get the carjacker a safe distance away from the victim but still limit the area to be searched to recover the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bob Allen said:
If someone carjacks you and you have the fob, they can run the car as long as they don't hit the power button and turn the car off.
Which could be indefinately since the ICE turns off when stopped, allowing someone to refill the gas tank with the car still "on"?

How long will the car remain on if it's not being driven? Could a potential carjacker park the car in thier safehouse and let it "idle" overnight?

This doesn't look good. :?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
jfschultz said:
It would be better if the car would only run a limited distance. This would get the carjacker a safe distance away from the victim but still limit the area to be searched to recover the car.
I disagree. Let them go. If you stall the car in traffic, then you run the risk of putting the public in danger of a potentially life-threatening traffic accident or another immediate carjacking. After all, he needs a getaway car, right?

Plus, if your carjacker gets stuck in traffic, and the car stalls based on a pre-programmed ECM algorithm, they might not be that far away from you. You could have a real problem on your hand if an armed carjacker gets out of your car and comes back after you!

Again, I say...let them go wherever they will. As per my recent post in the "technical" topic, a good tracking system will help the police recover your car, possibly close down a chop-shop, and maybe catch the bad guys and their buddies, too.

With any luck, other people's stolen vehicles may also be recovered. This may even help to keep insurance rates from rising so quickly, and so high! After all, aren't we paying enough for gas as it is?

The best part? It would be all because one person decided to pay the money for a tracking device.

And if you live in a state that metes out stiff sentences for violent crimes and gun crimes (like my state does), then you have a chance to take another felon off the streets to boot. In my book, it makes you a hero if you separate (with stone walls and steel bars) a violent felon from law-abiding citizens.

<okay, getting off my soap box now>

·
Registered
29 Posts
the fob (se/ss or not), only authenticates the system to boot the computers which enable the car. just like the lowly toyota service tech, that can't figure out how to power-up and move the car, i think the jacker thing would turn out to be funny. here in dc 4 young'ins car jacked a lady, then gave her her keys back because they couldn't drive a stick. you have to put it in park to get out, watch them try to find out that they have to depress the brake to put it in drive. then there is the power button which is "not" lighted when it is powered to drive (is it on?). all that and no sound from the engine (is it on?).... hmmmm guess i gotta push power again (now it's off.... with no fob).

i wouldn't want an auto-powerdown... what would happen if your fob battery weakened or died at 70mph on the interstate?

sid

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BIF said:
jfschultz said:
the money for a tracking device.

And if you live in a state that metes out stiff sentences for violent crimes and gun crimes (like my state does), then you have a chance to take another felon off the streets to boot. In my book, it makes you a hero if you separate (with stone walls and steel bars) a violent felon from law-abiding citizens.

<okay, getting off my soap box now>
Alas, Richmond has so many car thefts that the police don't even really try to solve them. I know of kids (I teach) who have been caught stealing cars three times and still only get slaps on the wrist. They have an average of one murder every three days to deal with. I am waiting for the first Prius car theft to make the news when the jackers stop at McDonalds and can't get the car going again.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saruman said:
... I am waiting for the first Prius car theft to make the news when the jackers stop at McDonalds and can't get the car going again.
Won't happen! Thieves who don't know how to start the car won't know how to turn it off either. In fact, they won't know how to put it in park. So what's going to happen is that when they get out of the car (or even just take their foot off the brake) it'll roll away. Probably in electric mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts