Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are now finalizing our option and color choices as we are 4th on the waiting list at our local dealer. Can someone help describe the applique? Is it just a basic clear coat? Is there a design on it? Does it help keep the rear bumper in good shape? It's only $65, but I want to know the details as it is a "port-installed" option I won't be able to see before delivery.
-Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Applique

I have it...it's a wide piece of clear tape that's placed on top of the rear bumper. If you happen to pull something out of the rear cargo area and it hits the top of the bumper, it protects the paint from being chipped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the description. $65 seems a little excessive for a big piece of tape, however it does sound like a good idea to put some protection on that spot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tape

Back in the 70's I purchased this same type of clear, thick tape from a sporting goods store. It was to apply to the top of snow skis to keep them from getting scratched.

I would imagine it's still being sold but I don't know that for sure.

$65 is steep but everything from a dealer is expensive. My Prius came with it. Would I buy it as an option??? I probably would. I figure, by the time I went out and tried to locate this tape, cut it (properly) and put it on (straight...this tape is STICKY! Once it's on, it's ON) I would have used up $65 of my time and patience.

Come to think about it, I think this tape is also applied to the painted area on the bottom of the door jams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone successfully *removed* the bumper applique?

Much to my disappointment, my new Prius has shown up with a rear bumper applique, which I personally don't really find attractive.

Has anyone successfully removed the applique or gotten their dealership to agree to remove the applique? I don't want to try and remove it myself and risk the liability of needing a new paint job.

Any applique insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Do not remove it without someone knowledgable, Amy. I was told that it's "permanent" and may take the underlying paint off with it if you attempt to remove it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Applique

Amy,

Personally, I wouldn't try to remove it either. Like Bif said, you'll probably looking at a strip of tape with a strip of paint stuck to the back side of it.

I'm also wondering if we're talking about the same thing. I didn't even notice I had it until Asif (my salesman) pointed it out to me. You know you have it in the door jams too. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

Also, if you yank something out of the back and have it hit the top of your bumper you'll be glad you left it on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rear bumper applique is not just "tape". It is a relatively recently developed urathane paint protective film that has lots of uses including as a clear front end bra. I have it in strategic spots on my motorcycle. Leave it in place on the rear bumper. It will peel off cleanly without removing the paint, but why do you want to. It protects the top of the bumper from cargo loading and unloading accidents. Take it off and someday, probably sooner than later, you WILL regret having removed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts