Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a dealer that I couldn't order a new Prius without ordering one of the Option Packages.

Has anyone had any experience with this. Truth or are they selling me something I don't want?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
lloydp said:
I was told by a dealer that I couldn't order a new Prius without ordering one of the Option Packages.

Has anyone had any experience with this. Truth or are they selling me something I don't want?

Thanks
Yes, there is no "Basic" Prius unless you operate a Rent-A-Car firm.
That is where the BASIC Prius will be delivered. Also Toyota dealers has
TRAC which is the Toyota Rent A Car and we can order the basic package
as well.For regular dealer ordered Prius for retail customers you have to choose a package.
The packages differ from Region to Region,
here in CA North we have 3 Packages which are: #3BI, #4AM
and #6BC. vs in CA south they get the #3BI,#5AI, #6BC. but there is a
total of 6 packages in the USA. #1GY,#2AG,#3BI,#4AM,#5AI,#6BC.
So it is true that you have to select a package.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually you can get a BASE model prius with NO PACKAGES installed. We have 5 of them inbound to us right now in Washington. We have had several of them MSRP is just below 21k. If you have any questions call me.

Brendan
Appleway Toyota
1-800-233-4434

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I have this strange feeling that I'm going to irk the dealers that post here, however I have to say it anyway.

Some dealers are more than happy to go out and get you what you want, of course within the limits of the packages and color combinations Toyota is manufacturing. Other dealers are only interested in selling you what they get.

Based upon my purchase experience, I found that dealers who were only interested in selling me what happened to roll off the car carrier seemed less interested in developing a customer relationship and more interested in just making their commissions and getting a car off their lot. The dealers who were interested in ordering for me what I wanted were also interested in developing a relationship with me and keeping my business for the future. You can guess who I went with.

lloydp, I hope you are able to find a dealer in your region who will work with you like I found in mine. My dealer specifically told me that all packages were available to all buyers, however certain Toyota regions are choosing to bring in as regular lot stock on some of the available packages. Unlike domestic automobiles where you can put in an order and you specific vehicle will be built for you, these vehicles are built and shipped based upon some kind of formula Toyota has established for manufacturing. However, you should be able to get the color you want with the option package you want, or don't want so long as you find a dealer who is willing to go out looking for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been out of town for a few days. Thanks for the replies.

I ordered one with Pkg #1 (side air bags). It was a little more than 600.

The other dealer I went to wanted $2,800 above MSRP and wasn't interested in selling anythin other than what they had coming in. I said thanks, but not thanks.

So now I wait for 6-8 months. It will be a nice Christmas present.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts