Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and have since driven my way to 4800 miles. Now, right after I power on the car, the Engine Maintenance light comes on, which, according to the manuel, means that I need to change the oil again.

If I'm going by the 5000-mile rule, shouldn't my next oil change come at 6000 miles? How strictly should I adhere to the Engine Maintenance light? What is the general rule of thumb when dealing with the warning lights?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The Maintenance Required light stays on 5000 miles after it was last reset. If you want to get on to a 5000 mile cycle, it may be worth doing it at the 5K mark and again at 10K, etc. It's easier to remember that way. There was no need to change the oil at 1000 miles. Just follow Toyota's recommended service that came with the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
firepa63 said:
There was no need to change the oil at 1000 miles. Just follow Toyota's recommended service that came with the car.
But for another take on this, please see my posting under the Technical forum in the topic "Scientific Reasons to Change or Test Your Oil at 1,000 miles."

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=8639

I personally think that you should change oil at 1,000 miles as Mr. CrosbyF did, and supply some fairly convincing data, at least to me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I change my oil every night after I get home from work. Couldn't hurt, right?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
dgstan said:
I change my oil every night after I get home from work. Couldn't hurt, right?
:lol:

touche'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.