Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
If the on board diagnostics(OBD) receives an error code from any
emission components will a trouble light come on?
I am trying to find out why I have to fork out $$ to have an emission test once a year. If something with the emission system fails and the Prius alerts me I know I will take it as soon as possible back to dealer for repair.
I guess my point is if you go in for a state inspection/emission test it only tells me at that time everything is ok and if the next day the system fails what good was the emission test? :(

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mostly it buys you that little sticker that keeps you from getting pulled over for a ticket. It may (never, we hope) find a problem that needs correcting.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Norm04 said:
I am trying to find out why I have to fork out $$ to have an emission test once a year. If something with the emission system fails and the Prius alerts me I know I will take it as soon as possible back to dealer for repair. :(
I called PennDOT and asked the same question. The person I spoke with didn't know and said he would have someone call me back. A Supervisor called the next day (to my surprise). I asked why I didn't have to get an emission sticker in 2004, but did have to get one in 2005. He told me that the EPA changed the rules in February and now hybrids also have to have the test. It's done by connecting the Prius computer to the "inspection" computer. It's not done by placing a sensor in the tail pipe as with the regular gas engine system. The Prius test is also not done on the dynamometer.

To me, it's just another way for the state you tap your wallet. It doesn't do anything for the environment.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Norm04 said:
Hi all,
I am trying to find out why I have to fork out $$ to have an emission test once a year. If something with the emission system fails and the Prius alerts me I know I will take it as soon as possible back to dealer for repair.
I guess my point is if you go in for a state inspection/emission test it only tells me at that time everything is ok and if the next day the system fails what good was the emission test? :(
Many cars do not have OBDII level diagnostics, and thus most municipalities/states are still doing exhaust sniffing to verify emissions. Recent independent tests have shown very little difference between using modern OBDII equipped vehicles to monitor themselves and sniffer-based annual inspections. In some states, the issue is handled by exempting OBDII cars for X years from emissions inspections, on the theory that the chances that you will have a problem in that time are remote.

The basic problem with eliminating emissions testing/certification completely is that most cars will operate with a completely failed emissions system in a limp mode; there is nothing to prevent a driver from operating it in this mode forever. Indeed, he has an economic incentive to do so. Thus most proposals center around replacing the sniffer test with an annual CAN-bus based (or even wireless) test.

G

·
Not even close

GreyMud said:
You have to get the test because politicians need more of your money to spend. It's for your 'safety' or something.
That is just plain dumb. The money you pay an inspection station stays in the hand of the inspection station owner.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
NJ has a lot of state operated inspection stations - contracted out, but state run. We don't have to go pay anyone for inspection if we don't want to.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: Not even close

FrankBlack said:
GreyMud said:
You have to get the test because politicians need more of your money to spend. It's for your 'safety' or something.
That is just plain dumb. The money you pay an inspection station stays in the hand of the inspection station owner.
Depends on the state.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts