Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Prius for about 2 weeks now, and I just want to make sure that the fluid leaking from the car after I drive it is from the air conditioner and not something else.

I'm sure it's just water, but has anyone else noticed this on their car?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I haven't noticed it, but I'm in a relatively dry climate. You can try turning off the A/C a few minutes before you get home -- if it is condensation from the A/C it should mostly be gone by the time you park.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I suspect it is just water. I have the same drip spot under mine after parking in the garage following a hot day with the AC on. The spot is not there when AC hasn't been used.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check out where about it's located under the car. The AC drain (I believe) is at the firewall and slightly to the passenger side of the car. We've been having some really high humidity around here this summer with dewpoints in the 70's and low 80's. I get a quite sizeable puddle under the car after a drive in this.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
With the high humidity in SoCal these days, there is a lot of water condensing. Also, ice can form on refrigerant fittings, and will then melt when you stop, causing an apparent "new" drip. Put a paper towel down to catch the drip. On a new (i.e., non-greasy/dirty) engine, it should drip clear and without scent if it is water. Anything else will have a definite oily or sweet scent.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Touch it. If it feels greasy, has any noticeable color or a strong organic odor, it's not normal. *Don't* taste it (yeah, I know, what kinda doofus would taste it), and wash carefully afterwards.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I've owned lots of cars with A/C. At some point in time all of them should have some kind of water drip while parked after the unit has been running. This is especially the case in humid summer weather, but can occur even in dry climates because of ice formation on the system tubing.

I believe that the evaporator is inside the vehicle and the condenser is outside the vehicle. Water condenses on the condenser and when you are parked it all drips off in one place. Consider that water is always condensing on the condenser and while you are driving it is dripping off as you move along.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually, the other way around. The evaporator is in the car. It takes heat from the cabin to cause the refrigerant to evaporate. Once that refrigerant reaches the compressor, it is compressed, and sent to the condensor, where it loses the heat to condense to liquid again.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Isn't that what I said?

The evaporator is in the vehicle, i.e. inside the cabin and the condenser is outside the vehicle, i.e. outside of the cabin.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, but the water actually condenses on the evaporator. As air passes over the evaporator, it cools down (duuuhhh), in doing so the water vapor in the air (humidity) looses the energy it needs to remain a gas, so it will condense back into liguid water on the evaporator coils and needs to drain away. This is the same as the central air in your house, on the A coil (which is the evaporator) the water condensesand is drained off into a nearby floor drain.
I was talking to a local mechanic a few years ago and he was telling me of a customer who came in complaining water would leak into his 4X4 when the A/C was on. It took him about 5 min. to hoist it up, and knock the hunk od mud off the A/C drain that was there since his last off-road adventure.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Leaks

The a/c system water usually drains out near the RF tire. You should be able to see a drain tube up there where the water is exiting. If it's clear and tasteless... it's a/c condensation. Relax..

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know I sat out in my car the first night I got it, and poured through the manual, and had the A/C on every now and then. There was a puddle under the car afterwards.

My SCION(S) both have dripped water from the A/C....I think it's more of a TOYOTA thing, seeing as my old VW did not drip as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts