Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I leave the car on with one key. Then, lock the door with the other key?

I have a job which requires me to leave my vehicle for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. It would be nice to leave the AC on so I could return to a cool vehicle without someone driving off with it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This was discussed, a search might find the thread.

You can't lock it remotely with a fob inside. The workaround involves using the mechanical key, not the fob or door button. I've never tried it. Be sure it won't get stolen or have someone get inside and damage it (or put it in drive!)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phil, when you say mechanical key, do they give a fob and a mechanical (regular key) with purchase? I don't own the car yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
grovey said:
Thanks Phil, when you say mechanical key, do they give a fob and a mechanical (regular key) with purchase? I don't own the car yet.
Purchase the car then you'll understand dude.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it would work. Locking the car with the mechanical key. That would be too cool, no pun intended. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Little Key Works

I leave the electronic key in the car and use the little mechanical key to lock the door - works great if you're going to be out of your Prius for a few minutes and want to leave the A/C running.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Air conditioning

moblack said:
grovey said:
Find another website to post your scarcasm! The person was asking a legitimate question! :evil:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: Air conditioning

GeneralTojo said:
moblack said:
grovey said:
Find another website to post your scarcasm! The person was asking a legitimate question! :evil:
Says Mr. "Waste of Bandwidth".

The pot calls the kettle black.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Air conditioning

Hep said:
Says Mr. "Waste of Bandwidth".
Does that have anything to do with waistband width? If one generates lots of hot air, would one's waistband width be larger? Or smaller, since the hot air is expelled? Hmm. Strange, the questions this forum raises....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Grovey wrote that he wants to lock the door with the key fob still in the car and leaving the AC on. KTPhil answered that you have to use the mechanical key, not the fob or door button.

I think that there is another way to do it, if you are carrying the second key fob you get with the car. It may be that you can't leave the car in N or P with the AC on (or off), I haven't tried that. However, it does seem that you should be able to do that.

But there have been many times where one key fob has been in the car and I've used the other one to lock the car after the car has been turned off. And I have also found that I can't press the little black button, then I know that the other key fob is still in the car.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The car won't allow you to electronically lock the car with the engine on. At least you can't close the driver door after locking without it unlocking, though you can close other doors without it unlocking.

Funny thing happened this weekend. I gave the owner of the bodyshop my fob with the mechanical key removed, which was attached to my other keys. He was looking for the mechanical key, and was fascinated when I told him the fob WAS the key. After showing him the proceedure to put the car in READY, he didn't think the car was on, since the ICE didn't run. Reminded him that this was a hybrid, and the ICE doesn't run right away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts