Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the 04 ride? Smoothly like the camry or roughly as the corolla? I'm 75 and want to own and drive a car like this Prius if, and only if, the ride quality is between that the the camry and corolla. I have a silver on order with the BC option minus HID, NAV & Bluetooth. That is the ONLY option we are offered in Canada!
wfjw

·
Registered
71 Posts
My wife has a 2003 Corolla LE and I can assure you that the Prius rides better than the Corolla. My 2004 Prius actually rides better than my father's Buick LeSabre. It is quieter and very smooth. The wheelbase for the Prius is less than an inch shorter than the Avalon, so the ride should be comparable....and IS.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jerry P said:
My wife has a 2003 Corolla LE and I can assure you that the Prius rides better than the Corolla. My 2004 Prius actually rides better than my father's Buick LeSabre. It is quieter and very smooth. The wheelbase for the Prius is less than an inch shorter than the Avalon, so the ride should be comparable....and IS.
IMO, the '04 Prius has a surprisingly smooth and quiet ride. Road and engine noises are nicely muted, except when accelerating hard--then the engine seems a bit loud to me. The seats are comfortable, firm and supportive. The interior has a simple, yet elegant feel. Time will determine how well the shiny surfaces on the CD and center consoles will hold up under everyday use. I'm hoping Toyota's engineers know something about these particular plastics that I don't. :)
George

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
don't listen!

If you're new to eCVTs, don't listen
to the sound of the engine! It is
not straining itself. The engine
RPMs are for the most efficient
power band based on the power that
you're asking of the system (based
on your accellerator pedal level and
the terrain of the road).

If you're going downhill, the engine
is not needed and it'll shut off.
If you're going up a steep hill or
"flooring it", the engine will sound
very noisy (in comparison).

Think about riding a 1-speed bicycle -
you coast down and probably don't
pedal downhills, but to go uphill
you'd probably huff and complain a
bit. Fairly similar.

It's not your traditional automatic
engine, where you can tell by the
sound of the engine what gear that
you're in and when it's about to
shift gears, or your travelling
speed by the sound. Ignore the man
behind the curtain!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: don't listen!

mrv said:
If you're new to eCVTs, don't listen
to the sound of the engine! It is
not straining itself.
mrv,
No worries. I'm aware of this and didn't mean to imply that something is "wrong" with the car. I just think it is a tad noisier than need be during hard accelerations. You may be right, in that this is largely noticable due to the relative quiet of the car under most other conditions. Whether it's a flaw in the design or simply personal preference, I think it's worth noting when someone asks about the ride of the '04 model.
George :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
2004 ride

Got my Seaside Pearl '04 last week. So far I love the car. Much bigger feel, lots more pep, handling is better and much crisper. Overall the ride is smoother than the '03. Only thing I am noticing is more tire noise on the highway. Probably due to the new 15" non LRR tires. I am gettting about 46-48 on the highway so far, but in the city I have yet to equal what I can get on my '03. Don't quite know why yet. I was expecting 55-60 so without thinking about it, and I am only getting around 51. This especially surpirse me since I am able to get 52-55 in my '03 around town. Hmm... That being said, the car is a dream and I won't complain if the mileage never breaks 60.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts