Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some quality car covers for our Classic and 05 Prius vehicles and wanted to get your opinions. Personally, I've never much trusted car-covers, but circumstances look to make this a necessity (township not willing to give us a variance to put up an outlying structure (garage) etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah).

We're looking for something that will be used pretty much any time we park the cars in the driveway. Our house is on a fully wooded lot, so we have a major tree-sap issue. During certain seasons even a couple days of parking unprotected means hours and hours of cleanup, not to mention potential paint damage (the sap definitely produces staining on older paints).

Assume that I don't care how much they cost.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Maybe the ones on "E: bay would work for you at about fifty bucks but I bought the "creme de elegence" from http://www.calcarcover.com
They offer about a half dozen fabrics and price ranges but my research and experiance with a prior cover for my Cad convertible steered me to the one made of a fabric trade-marked "NOAH". It's slightrly quilted, waterproof, breaths, and is soft and light. After donning several times it slides on easily and hugs the car. Takes maybe two minutes after you develop a system. Cost about $189.95 Altough it comes with a tie -on under the car cable it is not necessary. Mine has remained snug in forty mph winds. The pockets for the mirrors really "hang on" Also states that they are washable. When I called them to see if they had the patterns for the Prius I asked them about a "pocket" for the antenna and they assured me that they knew right where to place it, and they did perfectly. That was before I learned how easily the antenna is to remove by screwing off and I would never order the "sock" again. If you would like to call them for their latest catalog the number is 800-423-5525.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
where my mother lives, rather than building garages most people (including my mother) seem to be putting up "temporary" car ports. I've seen them anywhere from 1 car in size, 2 cars nose to tail, up to 2-3 cars side by side. Usually it's an aluminum or steel pole frame that you attach together, with either a fabric or metal top/sides. My mother really likes her metal topped carport for her 2001. On occasion she'll park her minivan there, but it really only fits 1-2 short length cars nose-tail. Keeps all of the pine tree sap and oak tree acorns from hitting her Prius, and no building permits needed.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Only problem with that Michelle is how do you feel about the neighbors feelings if you are very close. I've used one now for five years with the fabric vinyl top. I've replaced the top once, just to keep it looking "fresh". Mine is 12X20 and will accept a mini van no problem and it is behind an eight foot arbovitae and cedar screened fence and hardly noticeable.
It handles snow quite well even with 10 inch amounts as long as you go out occassionally and give it a couple pokes from underneath when multi inches just slide off the vinyl.
I'de love to put a garage there but the town won't give me a permit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts