Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been lurking for a few days taking in all the great advice floating around. I have a small question.... My Prius is scheduled to arrive in Houston on Tuesday, and I'm tentatively scheduled to pick it up on Saturday the 23ed. It's a 3 hour drive from home to Houston, but they could get the car for me at MSRP the fastest so I figured that was worth the drive. I don't want to have to drive down there every time I need regular maintenance. Can I have my car serviced at my local Toyota dealer even though I didn't purchase through him?

Thanks for the great forum!
Erica

·
Registered
121 Posts
iwynlea said:
Hello all! I've been lurking for a few days taking in all the great advice floating around. I have a small question.... My Prius is scheduled to arrive in Houston on Tuesday, and I'm tentatively scheduled to pick it up on Saturday the 23ed. It's a 3 hour drive from home to Houston, but they could get the car for me at MSRP the fastest so I figured that was worth the drive. I don't want to have to drive down there every time I need regular maintenance. Can I have my car serviced at my local Toyota dealer even though I didn't purchase through him?

Thanks for the great forum!
Erica
YES!

You can have your car serviced at any Toyota dealer.

Now......don't pay for the extended warranty unless it's under $1000. They'll try to sell you a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. They may ask as much as $2,000+ or even $3,000+ dollars for this. You can buy an extended warranty from any Toyota dealer and there is one out there that will give you a great deal. Register at priuschat.com and look for the tread. His name is Troy.

As for coatings, lo-jack, et al...that's your call. I didn't buy any of it. I scotchguarded my car myself. I think the current "key" system is enough of a theft deterrent. And I bought my extended warranty from Troy. Check here and at priuschat.com for where to buy other goodies for good savings.

You didn't mention the status of your old car. Are you trading it in? Have you considered selling it yourself? Check Yahoo.com's bluebook for what it's worth. There is a considerable difference between what a dealer will offer and what a private party sale will generate. For my car a $1500 difference in value. Even if you want to trade it in, negotiate that separately and know the value of your car.

Congratulations. Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I'd seen mention on here of the better priced extended warrenty, so I"ll be well armed when I walk into the dealership. Which is a good thing, because otherwise I probably would have been really tempted to purchase it at their cost!

I am trading in my car, but I know it's not worth much -- its 11 years old, 170,000 miles, leaks oil, and stalls at stoplights. (Yes, I'm overdue for a new car!) KBB tells me I'll get between $500 and $800 depending on how they rank the condition, so I think I'll be pretty happy with whatever they'll give me. We've been saving up for a while so we have a decent downpayment and I already have financing lined up. I think I'm prepared for almost anything they'll throw at me!

Now it's just the wait that's killing me....so close, yet so far! 7 days and counting.....

Erica
Soon-to-be owner of a 2005 Seaside Pearl with Package #3.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good for you. You will love the car.

Make sure you inflate the tires properly prior to your 3 hour drive home. I run at 42 PSI front and 40 rear. I don't find the ride rough at all and the MPG is improved by at least 3 MPG over what the dealer will inflate them to (33-35).

Enjoy,

DGStan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts