Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Prius in Greece where I currently reside this past April. It arrived last week (late July) and I turned in the paper work. The importer "Toyota Hellas" installs the security alarm after the car arrives. They told me in April when I made the deal that I needed the more expensive 500 Euro Alarm because the 200 Euro alarm they use on most Toyotas is not appropriate for the Prius and the Land Cruiser. Two days before I was to pick up the car (last week), they said they could not put in any alarm because it wouldn't work and I would have to do it myself. I did not accept that and told them that they must provide the alarm since it was on the original agreement we made. Needless to say, I am very dissapointed. I want to know what is going on. Are the alarms normally installed in Japan? Does what they are saying make sense? I would appreciate any enlightenment and suggestions...Thanks

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I can't say anything about markets outside of NA, but here in the US/Canada, all Prius have all of the alarm hardware. However, some packages have it turned off. The kit to turn it on has you install GBS, cut (disconnect) a wire, then use the scanner to turn both the alarm and GBS on.
It was found that without the GBS, the alarm could be turned on without disconnecting the wire.

Don't know if your market is the same way, but any aftermarket generic alarm should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I have since read a lot more material from you and others and am getting a better idea but I found out new information yesterday from Toyota that is rather startling! The Greek importer said that ALL 2005 Priuses in Europe (except the UK) cannot support any security alarm (other than the immobilizer) because there is not enough "battery capacity". Please anyone in Europe are anyone familiar with the European market, let me know what is going on. I'm very dissappointed although I know an alarm is not the end all of car protection.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thats correct Yannis, here in the EU an alarm is only available on RHD cars, but they cant have SKS!!!

But, the Prius is hard to steal so its not so bad. You could get a 3rd party install I guess, but its probably not worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up Victor and "self powered ultrasonic alarm&quo

Thanks Victor. I assume because I heard theres a problem with battery capacity that it can have one or the other (SKS or Anti-theft). I wonder how the North American Specification dealt with this and the European one did not???

Two other questions?
1. Why do you say the Prius is hard to steal? I assume because it has a rather sophisticated immobilizer with a difficult key/chip arrangement.
2. Since I have to park it on the street (no choice in Athens where I am) I also want to minimize damage. I'm thinking to put in my own sensor (ultrasonic with own battery and transmitter to a pager so no horn). Since it will be separate from car electronics, does this sound like a good solution and one that will not violate the warranty (Toyota said 3rd party alarm solution invalidates warranty although I assume they mean one tied into the car battery and electronics).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I can't see how adding anything to your car that doesn't cause damage can 'automatically' void a warranty. So does that mean you can't add any AV equipment?

I would believe our batteries are the same as yours: 38AH. A typical alarm at standby should be able to go quite a few days at that rate. Now if your alarm were to go off every hour for 5 minutes, that might be a different story. I am sure it is a few amps to sound an effective alarm horn. Even then, if say an alarm horn drew 2 amps for 5 minutes every hour, that's .1666AH each time it went off, 228 hours it could do this (assuming no other draws), or almost 10 days. With other constant loads, say 5 days.

So, an alarm could tap into the dome light, const. power, and ACC power and work quite well. The dome light might not be the best trigger though.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
There are a few owners from Greece over on:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-Europe/
It's not unheard of for people in Europe to order their car elsewhere in the EU to get the options they want (such as cruise control) or to get the needed parts to retrofit their home country's version of the Prius (again, such as the cruise control)...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Trouble is Greece still applies an (illegal under ER law) import tax, called a registration charge, of upto 300% of the price of the car. This is for all cars, new or old.

As a result, its not economical to import cars into Greece. Its not as if they even have a local car maker to "protect" :x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts