Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only three option packages are available in California, and the one I want (AI, #5) isn't among them. But it's available in Nevada.

So I'm thinking of ordering my Prius in Reno. Normally this would be a no-no (California emissions), but since the Prius has '50 state emissions', this shouldn't be a problem -- right? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Just to note, CA is split into two different regions, a Northern and a Southern California regions. Be sure to check with both regions for the package that you want.

Yes, all Prius are sold with package FE, the 50 states emissions package.

CA may still want you to get it checked. If so, you'll have to get an appointment at a Referee station. I'm not sure if that is still needed for an "import," though, as the Prius has been rated exempt from SMOG checks for the next few years (until Jan 1, 2010): http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp ... hybrid.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
And remember that you'll need to pay CA sales tax. (Yes, even if you paid sales tax in another state, a good reason to get the dealer to fill out the 'out-of-state sales tax waiver' Coming from a no-sales-tax state, I am used to them.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
I bought mine in NC and registered in my home state, WI. I didn't drive all the way here to buy a car, I'm going to school here. :)

The registration was somewhat complicated by the fact that the dealer took 5 weeks to come up with the Certificate of Origin for the car. At that point I had already filed for registration, it is illegal to wait more than a week or so after buying a car to apply for registration. After 2 months I received a confirmation of my registration, and notice that as soon as the MCO gets to their office they will send a title.

Financing the tax was also a pain. The rate is different here in NC than it is in WI. They needed proof (a copy of the title application) and even then it took about a month for them to cut me a check. I had to come up with the money upfront and get reimbursed. I wasn't thrilled about that but I managed.

Hope that's of some help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I bought an option 5 Prius in California a couple of months ago. I bought mine (Tideland Pearl) in Victorville. You might check there - it is on the way to Vegas, and we could use the sales tax revenue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
John Baker said:
I bought an option 5 Prius in California a couple of months ago. I bought mine (Tideland Pearl) in Victorville. You might check there - it is on the way to Vegas, and we could use the sales tax revenue.
That's odd, Victorville Toyota is listed as being in the So. Cal. region, and they only get packages 1, 3, and 6. Maybe they traded with a dealer in Las Vegas (Denver Region) to get it.

In any case, the buyer will have to pay a use tax equal to the CA sales tax when he registers the car, so CA won't be losing any tax revenue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sales tax? Naww.

Thanks for all the answers.

And remember that you'll need to pay CA sales tax. (Yes, even if you paid sales tax in another state, a good reason to get the dealer to fill out the 'out-of-state sales tax waiver' Coming from a no-sales-tax state, I am used to them.)

Uh, why would that be? I buy things out-of-state all the time, and there is no CA sales tax. You're trying to say that cars are different? Not by the law I understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Re: Sales tax? Naww.

abbatangelo said:
Uh, why would that be? I buy things out-of-state all the time, and there is no CA sales tax. You're trying to say that cars are different? Not by the law I understand.
You don't have to register your out of state mattress, dog biscuits, jeans in CA. You do register the car. So, you must present proof of payment of tax when you register. In NJ, for example, I could buy tax free in Delaware, bring to NJ, and have to pay the 6% to NJ. Or if I buy in another lower tax state, show i've paid 5% there and pay NJ one %. To skip paying tax in the purchase state, you should get out of state tax waiver for the car in the purchase state, and pay tax in your home state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Someone could try filing a class action lawsuit. That sounds like it could be considered a state border tax, and is unconstitutional. If you want presidence, check Florida. Florida used to charge an impact fee for cars brought in from other states, and it was hefty, like $200. You couldn't get a driver's license until you showed a FL registered car, or signed an affidavit that you didn't own a vehicle. And of course you couldn't register a car until you paid the impact fee.

Class action lawsuit was filed claiming this practice to be a border tax, and the class action won. I got a nice refund from the state.

However, the courts could say the salestax deal is not a border tax as it doesn't discriminate between those bringing in a car, to those buying a car instate. Both pay the same tax, so it is not a border tax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Someone could try filing a class action lawsuit. That sounds like it could be considered a state border tax, and is unconstitutional.
It's not a flat fee to bring a new car purchased out of state into the state. It is to be sure that tax is paid on the new vehicle. Really, it's a protection for the state and its business - otherwise, on large ticket items everyone would go to lower tax state, the state would be out the revenue, and the border businesses wouldn't stay in business. And before you tell me that consumers DO go out of state for big items such as refrigerators, etc., many states have a "use tax" provision, which requires taxpayers to identify items for which they did not pay tax or did not pay the right % tax (items purchased on line, by mail, out of state), and then pay the appropriate tax. Whether people do voluntarily report, who can say. But the states enforce it on cars through the registration process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Sanny said:
DanMan32 said:
Someone could try filing a class action lawsuit. That sounds like it could be considered a state border tax, and is unconstitutional.
It's not a flat fee to bring a new car purchased out of state into the state. It is to be sure that tax is paid on the new vehicle. Really, it's a protection for the state and its business - otherwise, on large ticket items everyone would go to lower tax state, the state would be out the revenue, and the border businesses wouldn't stay in business. And before you tell me that consumers DO go out of state for big items such as refrigerators, etc., many states have a "use tax" provision, which requires taxpayers to identify items for which they did not pay tax or did not pay the right % tax (items purchased on line, by mail, out of state), and then pay the appropriate tax. Whether people do voluntarily report, who can say. But the states enforce it on cars through the registration process.
I don't believe it matters if it is a flat tax or a percentage. You yourself used the word Border referring to businesses. The USE clause doesn't apply to items purchased IN state, but only items purchased OUT of state, which means different treatment. Sounds like an import (border) tax to me.

If you may recall your history, states had been acting like little countries, fighting each other with tariffs. That's why the border tax clause was put in the constitution. If 'use' tax in place of sales tax doesn't seem like state tariffs of yesteryear, I don't know what does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for the info, guys. A little more research shows that there is indeed a use tax -- however illegal (unconstitutional, unfair, etc.) one might think this is.

I don't really care as long as I can get the NV sales tax waived. If not, I might as well go all the way and get a BC here in CA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Until the NAV ticks you off, you'll like the BC options a lot anyway.

I'm hoping the side airbags retire someday unused...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follwup

Until the NAV ticks you off, you'll like the BC options a lot anyway.

I know I would! But we've got a baby on the way, so I'm trying not to splurge (as cool as the Bluetooth feature sounds).

Followup for anyone who's interested: I checked with the dealer in Reno and with the CA DMV. The deal is that the NV dealer will charge me CA sales tax based on my county of residence. I bring the proof that I paid this to the DMV when I register the car, and the DMV will not charge me the use tax.

So it looks like I will not be double-taxed, which was the real concern here. Posting this because I figure I will not be the only one who has to deal with this out-of-state purchase issue -- at least until Toyota stops playing games with option packages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
You know, it is funny this tax issue. Over here, some counties have a surtax that is managed by the state. So you can buy your car out of county, and pay the tax in the county purchased, not the county of residence. Now why should this be different than purchases across state lines?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
You know, it is funny this tax issue. Over here, some counties have a surtax that is managed by the state. So you can buy your car out of county, and pay the tax in the county purchased, not the county of residence. Now why should this be different than purchases across state lines?
Frequently you can. My dealer in Idaho was prepared to collect the tax and remit it to NJ, but contacted NJ DMV, who advised that it was just as easy to have me do it when I registered. So, a dealer CAN collect the tax and send it in for an out of state purchaser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
You won't have to pay dual tax.

I paid Wisconsin tax on a car bought in North Carolina. I'm a WI resident, and I happen to be in NC to go to school for a while. That doesn't mean I owe tax to 2 DMVs for being so far away from home when my college beater car died.

You pay tax to the state in which you title your car, when you title it. They do titles and taxes together.

I don't think it's unfair to buy in one state and pay taxes in another. I mean, assuming the state government does what they claim to do with your taxes, that money goes to road maintenance. Now if we all went to another state to buy a car and never went back, how fair would it be to our home states that the selling state gets all the tax money? We'd be driving in our home states and wearing out the roads there, all while not paying taxes for maintenance costs. So your home state gets the money.

And yes, there is a 'use tax' in most states, mentioned on most state tax forms if they have a state tax. And though you're expected to own up to everything you didn't pay state taxes on, it usually doesn't happen. [/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
since it is a sales tax, I doubt it is dedicated towards road infrastructure. Rather, it gets placed in general funds. A new onwer registration fee would be more appropriate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
You will be shortchanging yourself on the warrenty if you buy in Nevada or most places outside California. The warrenty in California is 150,000 miles and 10 years on the batteries....the most important warrenty on the car. In other states it is only 100,000 miles and 8 years.
So make an informed decision on your choice not just based on taxes.
Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
Priusboy said:
You will be shortchanging yourself on the warrenty if you buy in Nevada or most places outside California. The warrenty in California is 150,000 miles and 10 years on the batteries....the most important warrenty on the car. In other states it is only 100,000 miles and 8 years.
So make an informed decision on your choice not just based on taxes.
Good luck.
It's the same car. The CA emissions warranty is for vehicles primarily owned and operated in the the CA emissions state. Not based on where you buy it.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top