Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
First time poster and non-Prius owner though big Prius fan.

This post may be pointless-yet I'm curious about other opinions.

My question is in regards to some family members who are to take delivery of a new '05 Pack #4 tomorrow for MSRP. However, the color and package are not exactly to their liking but they decided just to grab the car since it was available and on the lot. Since they signed and placed a deposit I have found an '06 with the right color and package (HI) for $1,400 more that sits about 1 1/2 hours farther away than the '05. They seem to think the '06 is really not worth the extra effort yet I can't help but think the extra time and money for an '06 with the right color/options is worth it both in the short term (enjoyment/safety('06 has VSC)) as well as the long term (re-sale/safety/enjoyment). What are your thoughts? Should I leave them and well enough alone?

Their decision to buy this car is due in large part to my involvement and encouragement so that is why I am being so nosy. Though I am the one who found the '05 for them and told them to wait until '06 for purchase for the tax benefit-so I have been useful.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Soane said:
Hello All,
First time poster and non-Prius owner though big Prius fan.

This post may be pointless-yet I'm curious about other opinions.

My question is in regards to some family members who are to take delivery of a new '05 Pack #4 tomorrow for MSRP. However, the color and package are not exactly to their liking but they decided just to grab the car since it was available and on the lot. Since they signed and placed a deposit I have found an '06 with the right color and package (HI) for $1,400 more that sits about 1 1/2 hours farther away than the '05. They seem to think the '06 is really not worth the extra effort yet I can't help but think the extra time and money for an '06 with the right color/options is worth it both in the short term (enjoyment/safety('06 has VSC)) as well as the long term (re-sale/safety/enjoyment). What are your thoughts? Should I leave them and well enough alone?

Their decision to buy this car is due in large part to my involvement and encouragement so that is why I am being so nosy. Though I am the one who found the '05 for them and told them to wait until '06 for purchase for the tax benefit-so I have been useful.

Thanks for any thoughts.
You definately want to check on the tax credit issue, that can be big. I beleive it is just when you take delivery, not on the model year, but check into that to be sure. If it is different, that would cover the $1,400 right there.

You also have residual value when trade in time comes. All things being equal you will have a higher value when you sell/trade in the '06 vs. an '05. Although the Prius currently does absurdly well in that regard anyway, still money is money.

I would say get the '06. While $1,400 isn't chump change, you/they do end up with what they wanted. If you are paying that kind of money, why get close to what you want, instead of getting exactly what you want? Plus the VSC is a big safety issue, hopefully you never need it, but if you ever do, it will be worth the $1,400. I wonder if we get better insurance rates on the cars with it versus the ones without it?

Spike

·
Registered
40 Posts
2005 vs. 2006

My impression is that the key to getting the tax credit is to take delivery after January 1, 2006, and that it doesn't matter whether the car is a 2005 or 2006 model. We've had a couple of threads about this. I remember linking to a toyota site in one of them.

My instinct would be to take the 2006. I think $1400 is relatively low to pay for the options and color that you want. Most posters on this site think that VSC is a very valuable option. Beside, a 2006 (simply because it is newer) will have a slightly higher resale price than a 2005.

But what do I know? I haven't bought a Prius yet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply

Yes I made sure they worked it out to buy the car this year to get the Tax credit. One only has to be the original purchaser of a new Prius to get the tax credit for '06.

It seems neither of the replies thinks it foolish to pass up an '06 and buy an '05 for MSRP in '06-that's interesting. I appreciate it. Though I can't help but feel the extra $1,400 spent now could avail itself down the road.

Thanks to you both for the responses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Beware of buying at the end of the model-year.

This might not hold if: they plan on keeping the car for more than five years. After five years, the value difference of a model-year between cars in similar condition and mileage will compress.

However, they should definitely buy the 2006 if they plan on putting a lot of miles on the vehicle (at resale time they'll be in the marketplace with a high-mileage vehicle and they'll need to stress the car's newer pedigree), or they usually trade cars every three or four years (value difference between model years is much more apparent).

[/list]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well this is in New England where Prii (?) are seemingly rare.
Used '05s are for sale for more than their new '05.

I should also mention that I assume they will also lose their $500 deposit on the '05 making the extra cost for the '06 being $1,900 plus about 3 hours total extra drive time. I still think it's worth it. Plus the '06 comes with MP3 and Bluetooth which I would think may effect resale down the road as well.

Not sure how long they will keep the car and their driving habits have recently changed so it is hard to estimate yearly mileage save for that they will be driving much more.

Thanks all for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I plan to be tactful and respectful about this and will not pressure them to do anything. Afterall, it is their choice and not mine. I just wanted to see if my ideas were at all reasonable and if I should mention anything further to them. I really only want them to make the best choice for them. Although they tend to rely upon me for researching such decisions.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
06 vs. 05

Jeff, you're in Northern Virginia, where you have at least one dealer that keeps the Prius in stock. In other parts of the country, there's a wait of at least three months for a new vehicle. A dealer who for some reason has a 2005 is therefore in a good position to get MSRP for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
FWIW, the 2005 Pack #4 includes VSC. At least they do in Michigan. If that's a major part of your decision I hope that info helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
package #4

Package #4 does not seem to be available in many regions. I believe it's obtainable in the coldest parts of the country, but not, say, in the Southeast or the Pennsylvania-NJ-Del area. That makes sense, I guess, because the colder it is, the more often VSC is needed. Package #4 is the only one that includes VSC without a lot of other expensive features that the consumer may not want. In my case, for instance, I'd have to take package 7 to get VSC.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is my understanding that a dealer must refund the deposit if you don't take delivery of the vehicle. They are saying it is non-refundable, but the law may say differently. Don't let them fool you. You must check that for yourself. I think even if it is in a contract as being non-refundable they still have to refund it if they are a dealership, but of course you have to find out in your case. And of course, if they do try to rip you off for it when they're still going to be able to sell the car within a day or two with no negative consequences for them the local TV station may be interested.

I too would go for the '06. From reading the previous posts that seems to be the consensus I get. (Spike said, "I would say get the '06." Sjerseycraig said, "My instinct would be to take the 2006.")

The resale value should be a bit higher. It may be that the color would also improve the resale value. (I could have gotten a white stick-shift Honda for a great price, but I don't want white.) If they are going to keep the car for many years they'll be looking at a color they really didn't want, so I would think about that too. Also, if they have had the '05 sitting for a long time, which is a possibility at this time, the batteries could be affected if they have sat uncharged. So I would also check when that particular Prius was made and if its batteries had ever been charged. My experience is that the batteries aren't charged even when you buy it, you have to charge it while you drive it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Unless money is a huge concern, I'd go with the 2006. Over a five year period, color and trade-in become important, however the $23.33 a month difference will be forgotten.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting about the Battery observation as well as the deposit.
They signed an agreement to purchase and placed a $500 deposit-beyond that I have no idea what the legalities are but I appreciate the advice concerning refunding deposits.

We'll see. They (my parents) woke up to find their car's window smashed in and someone had rumaged through their car-so they are sensitive about further car complications today.

I really appreciate all the advice.
Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OverTork said:
FWIW, the 2005 Pack #4 includes VSC. At least they do in Michigan. If that's a major part of your decision I hope that info helps.
This one doesn't have VSC-but they called it package 4. I'm in New England.
Comes with: Smart Key/ Side Airbags/ 6 disc with 9 speakers/ Homelink-auto dimming/ and besides floor mats, first aid kit and cargo net that's about it. I remember asking about VSC because i thought it important-but the car was without it.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
According to the official Toyota website for the Prius, a 2005 Prius Package 4 is code AM and DOES contain VSC.

This is the link: http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:c_ ... 4%22&hl=en

So either it does contain VSC and is AM Package 4, or it doesn't contain VSC and isn't AM Package 4. And if it isn't Package 4 there is an additional reason to demand the deposit back. I have Package 4 on my Prius, but I can't find the window sticker right now. I'll keep looking. You should also have the HID headlights with Package 4, and therefore the little fog lights in the front bumper too. That is a quick method to see about the HID headlights. The only other 2005 package with the HID headlights is Package 6, and you'd know if it had that by the price! And oddly, Toyota didn't include VSC or the HID headlights with Package 5 for the 2005 Prius.

I initially didn't think VSC was that big a deal, especially here in Florida. My wife wouldn't buy the car without it. I, of course, have found out that she is correct, it is a big deal, and is worth the price. It is a technological marvel, and according to some people, it is almost impossible to get the car into a spin. This would help when driving on snow, which I remember from the days of driving in Chicago. I think it snows in New England too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sub3marathonman said:
According to the official Toyota website for the Prius, a 2005 Prius Package 4 is code AM and DOES contain VSC.

This is the link: http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:c_ ... 4%22&hl=en

Thank you for the link. You are absolutely right and I am mistaken. The '05 must be a package #5 and not #4. I remember now it was advertised as #4 which I thought was perfect-but then upon inspection discovered it was infact #5. My failed memory had it that it was advertised as #3 but was infact #4.

I turned my parents onto a Consumer Reports article on ESC(VSC) and they are now quite convinced it is worth the extra money effort. Hopefully they will soon be the proud and safe owners of an '06.

Thanks for the help.
I do think they have a strong case with the dealer to tell them that they simply must have VSC and if they can not provide it then sorry we must shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:
I spoke with the dealer who has the '06-he will sell for $500 off MSRP and is faxing the service agreement now. He also claims the other dealer has to give the deposit back. So all told an '06 with the right options and right color for only $900 more than the '05. Very pleased.

Thanks to you all for your input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts