Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could explain to me how fast you should accelerate in a Prius to maximize fuel economy. I know in a normal car you want to be very gentle when you accelerate, but have read that for the Prius it is better to accelerate "briskly". My question is what is the exact definition of briskly. Does it mean you mash the pedal to the floor - do you step down halfway - do you try to go from zero to say 40 in 10 seconds???? If someone could try to quantify this it would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you do it differently on flat ground versus climbing a hill?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I drive mine just like I did with all of my conventional cars. I wanted transportation and the Prius gives me that. The fuel savings is just a big bonus.

·
Registered
928 Posts
"If your dogs fat....your not getting enough exercise"
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe -- Frank Zappa

Oh yeah, acceleration: survey says 2/3 - 3/4 full pedal.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
ken1784 said:
kirby said:
My question is what is the exact definition of briskly.
Japanese mileage freaks are saying that it is too brisk to see the yellow arrow from the HV battery on the energy screen.

[email protected]
Ken, if you call Japanese Prius mileage enhancing enthusiast a "Freak"
then the Americas Prius owners are they all "Freaks" also ? We all care
about how to get the most mileage out of our driving.
Please rephrase it to Japanese "Mileage Enthusiast" Not_Freaks_....

·
Registered
466 Posts
OT (Re: Pulse driving technique)

C.Rickey Hirose said:
Please rephrase it to Japanese "Mileage Enthusiast" Not_Freaks_....
Thank you very much for your comments.

Sometimes, it is very hard to understand the idiom and the difference among words by non native person like me.
Our dictionary explains almost the same meanings.

Thanks again,
[email protected]

·
Registered
69 Posts
"freaks"

[email protected],

Don't worry about it! The connotation of "freak" can be either good or bad depending on context. Someone may refer to Prius owners (for example) as "mileage freaks" and mean it as an insult; Prius owners may refer to themselves as "mileage freaks" and wear the label as a badge of honor. I'm sure no insult was intended on your part. Welcome to the English language! :D

J Knight

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Freaky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts