Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My pruis gets 400 to 450 miles on a full tank is that correct can someone Emil me at [email protected]
The 2021 Toyota Prius has a combined EPA-estimated 56 mpg. Separated, the 2021 Toyota Prius has 50 highway and 54 city miles to the gallon. With its 11.3-gallon fuel tank, the 2021 Toyota Prius has the ability to go up to 610 miles on one tank. If you have any, more query you can ask me thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My pruis gets 400 to 450 miles on a full tank is that correct can someone Emil me at [email protected]
My 2010 gets as low as 45 mpg in the hot summer and cold winter. During summer running the AC wide open decreases the mileage. In the winter the cold batteries seem to decrease the mpg. I can actually tell a difference if we park the Prius in the heated garage during the winter. The warm summer (<90 degrees) and warm winter (>40 degrees) we normally get 52 mpg. Our Prius has 200k on the odometer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2009 and I get about 45 miles per gallon. Also the AC does not reduce your gas mileage it is electric is not hooked to the engine. And during the winter time the motor runs more to keep the antifreeze warm that’s why you get less gas mileage in the winter time. If you use cruise control on a trip you will get in the 50s on the gas mileage

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2009 and I get about 45 miles per gallon. Also the AC does not reduce your gas mileage it is electric is not hooked to the engine. And during the winter time the motor runs more to keep the antifreeze warm that’s why you get less gas mileage in the winter time. If you use cruise control on a trip you will get in the 50s on the gas mileage
Curious where do the electrons come from to power the electric AC?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Ken,

@EBGwd above was telling you that you are correct that the AC (and heat) are battery powered. But the battery is charged mostly by the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). So in fact your MPG is reduced by use of the AC.

I believe that if I am comfortable, then my hybrid battery is 'comfortable' and has a longer lifespan.

Simba

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can look at that way. But the motor is running off and on all the time to keep the battery charged. Look at you screen and you will see it charging. Turn your ac on see if it charges it more. I don’t think it does. You get your best mpg if take it easy on the gas pedal and run about 55 - 60 mph. If you look up each year on the Prius you will see the mpg that Toyota puts out changes. 2009 is at about 45-50. I have gotten 58 on a long trip with cruise control on and the ac is on. The newer Prius have a newer ICE and they get better mpg. Look it up. Running your ac doesn’t affect the mpg. You can try not running ac for a complete tank of gas and see if your mpg is better. I don’t think you will see a up tick on your mpg. If try it please let me know. 👍🤠
I am happy with 45-48 mpg any day with a cool inside car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can look at that way. But the motor is running off and on all the time to keep the battery charged. Look at you screen and you will see it charging. Turn your ac on see if it charges it more. I don’t think it does. You get your best mpg if take it easy on the gas pedal and run about 55 - 60 mph. If you look up each year on the Prius you will see the mpg that Toyota puts out changes. 2009 is at about 45-50. I have gotten 58 on a long trip with cruise control on and the ac is on. The newer Prius have a newer ICE and they get better mpg. Look it up. Running your ac doesn’t affect the mpg. You can try not running ac for a complete tank of gas and see if your mpg is better. I don’t think you will see a up tick on your mpg. If try it please let me know. 👍🤠
If you want to stay cool and have the fortitude to watch the systems like a hawk you can cycle your ac compressor when you are braking. This will minimize the electrons needed from the alternator. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:o_O

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two 2010 Prius'. One is a base model and the other is loaded, including the wider profile tires and larger diameter aluminum wheels. The low end model has about 35,000 miles and the other has about 75,000 miles. I consistently get about 53 MPG with the lower mileage vehicle and about 50 MPG with the higher mileage, heavier vehicle. These MPG numbers are calculated, not according to the overly optimistic computers in the vehicles.

I find the best mileage results from driving back country roads on dry pavement when the weather is more than 50 degrees. Using the AC doesn't appear to have an adverse affect on MPG. I suspect driving with the windows open would. I can easily get MPG in the low 60s until I get into situations where I need to accelerate quickly, brake often, and coast less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the average, my 2003 Gen 1 gets between 580 to 640 on its 10.5 gallon tank.

I have gone through a lot of effort restoring the drive system, ICE and electric, and the rolling chassis to good as new condition. I also run OEM specified size wheels and tires at the specified tire pressure.

Your average MPG can very due to many conditions.

Engine and hybrid components state of ware.
Chassis state of wear.

Accessories that cause more wind drag, bigger tires and bolder treads, and electronic accessories the require more draw from the hybrid electrical system.

Your desired need and use of climate control, especially if you run the fan on high, does effect mpg.

Your driving style and habits can have a lot to do with MPG.

Where you live, the climate and road conditions that you drive the most on.

Your model of Prius can have different MPG than others. More bells and whistles cause more demand on the batteries and charging system. A bigger engine might bring more power but also brings more fuel use too, even on a hybrid.

The mileage I get from my car, that I mentioned is not from hyper-mile driving tactics, which I find to distracting to practice while driving, it come with just normal responsible, mature, everyday average driving style. I'm not an "eco" slow-poke, I like having fun and getting a little sporty, once in a while, on the mountain and country roads and highways I drive on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with you Ken. I have a 2010 Prius. In the summer time I get 52-53 MPG. In the winter time with the heater running the mileage drops down to 45 MPG. I believe the gas engine is running more in the winter thus the lower MPG. My daughter has a 2018 Prius, getting 5 MPG better. (y);)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh electrons for motor come from battery and battery is charged from alternator and alternator is run by engine and engine gets energy from gasoline fuel which decreases your mpg.
I was told to use the AC in warm weather, the cabin temp is what keeps the traction battery cool. Flowing hot air across the battery doesn't do it any good. I'll sacrifice a little MPG to keep my battery alive.

I check my gas mileage of my Gen III about every third fillup. I usually get anywhere from 47 to 52. Last time I filled up, it was 61.8. I checked the numbers 3X. I don't hypermile, but I do some pulse and glide driving, I don't hot rod the car. I'm gonna keep a closer eye on it for a while to see if this is an error. I hope it's right, I just had the EGR system cleaned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told to use the AC in warm weather, the cabin temp is what keeps the traction battery cool. Flowing hot air across the battery doesn't do it any good. I'll sacrifice a little MPG to keep my battery alive.

I check my gas mileage of my Gen III about every third fillup. I usually get anywhere from 47 to 52. Last time I filled up, it was 61.8. I checked the numbers 3X. I don't hypermile, but I do some pulse and glide driving, I don't hot rod the car. I'm gonna keep a closer eye on it for a while to see if this is an error. I hope it's right, I just had the EGR system cleaned.
I agree. There was a study done quite some years ago in regard to Use of A/C and MPG.

It found that if you don't run the A/C and run with a window or windows down that the drag caused by the windows down creates enough resistance to reduce MPG more than you would lose with the windows up and running A/C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts