Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Package 5 Blue 9/04 :D

My dealer tried to sell me a $1600 3rd party insurance warranty, which I turned down. Although I really wanted an extended warranty because of the complexity of this car, I was not willing to pay a huge price for a 3rd party product. I found out about Ron Ganaway at Toyota dealer Crown Automotive in Lawrence, Kansas @ PruisOnline and contacted him. after reading posting by other PruisOnline members who had dealt with him successfully. He offers the 7yr/100k extended warranty by Toyota for $985.00. He overnighted the paperwork with pre-paid return, and we finalized by phone and credit card the next day. Best of all there is no sales tax, so $985 is all there is! He can be contacted @:
Ron Gannaway
Crown Automotive
[email protected]
800-787-9664
785-917-9021

[/b]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to agree with this posting...see below for the current phone numbers to contact Ron. Note the lower extended warranty price (as of posting) and the pricing on the pre-paid maintenance plan.

My dealer wanted to sell me a 75K/$0 deductible warranty for $1200. Crown Toyota in Kansas sells the 100K/$0 for $940! Got the pre-paid maintenance plan as well. These are plans bought directly from Toyota, not 3rd party contracts. So they should be honored by any Toyota dealer anywhere. Talk to Ron...he's really friendly, fast and will set you up. It was really easy and saved minimum $700-800 over what my dealer would have sold them to me for.

$940 (no tax) for 7/100/$0 extended warranty
$590 for 4yr/55 pre-paid maintenance plan
Ron Gannaway
3400 South Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS 66046
(785) 917-9021 (C)
(785) 843-7700 (Dealership)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Prepaid Maintenance

Toyota Financial Services just told me that only dealerships that sell the plan have to honor it (no matter from what dealership it is purchased).

My local dealership finance office says they don't sell it: the service manager says they honor it. That's today. How about tomorrow?

So warnings about checking that the dealership honors an agreement bought elsewhere are well-founded. Especially as dealers can charge anything they want without the agreement in place; mine wants $85 for 5K oil change, $285 for major maintenance.

I may have to go 200 mi round trip to get prepaid maintenance.

C

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
The Gulf States Toyota and Southern States regions are the only regions that I'm aware of that take great effort to not sell warranties through Toyota Financial Services (TFS). Most of the other sales regions just pump everything through TFS because all Toyota dealers are hooked up to them in some way or another both for financing and for the processing of repair claims against outstanding warranties. You are more at risk of having an issue getting a claim processed efficiently if you have a third party warranty than if you have a TFS warranty. The worst that could happen with a TFS warranty is that the dealer you go to will not submit the claim for you and you have to do it yourself. Which is a slim possibility considering that the whole goal of TFS is to provide financing and insurance services to Toyota customers through Toyota dealers. The dealer that might service you car wouldn't be much of a dealer if they sold the cars, but didn't deal with Toyota's blessed provider for financing and insurance services. That is a dealer that I would avoid dealing with just because their ties to Toyota services seem flakey. Makes you wonder about their tech training or their connection to Toyota's tech support database.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I paid $1600 for 7years/100k miles, and like $985 for 4year/55k maintenance---all through dealership. I didn't see anything about third party on the warranty stuff, because all the paperwork was different class levels offered by Toyota, but I could be wrong.. I really should check.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
That's because you don't live in the southeast. It is the southeast (Florida, GA, etc) that don't use Toyota financial services.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I looked.. I paid $1699 for TFS Platinum 7y/100k miles. I think I'll keep it though, I don't like fiddling with stuff too much. Besides, my bf put down a nice downpayment on the car anyways (so sweet of him) :p

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hey, Phish,

Exactly when (month, day, & year) did you sign the papers for your extended warranty? Now I need help for her from the rest of you guys : How long does she have from the sign'g to change her mind or cancel, & just what kind of penalty ($$?) would she be facing?

Also, would Toyota Financial frown on a cancellation & repurchase (think'g she can't make up her mind) & refuse to put through the repurchase (at the cheaper $990 price)? I know it's available still for $990 (it just went up from $985 on Oct 1st) because I just got mine last Friday (put in application, actual contract should come in about 4 weeks) at 12,600 miles from Troy Dietrich in Massachusetts. This is the Toyota Extra Care Platinum 7yr/100,000mi extended warranty.

Phish, if you can safely bail out of your $1700 one (meaning the dealership will guarantee your money back) & your mileage hasn't gone past the 36,000 mark by the time you do it, you should consider re-doing it with Troy at only $990 (no tax either) & put $700 back in your purse. He sells to people all over the country by "snail" mail, e-mail, & fax. Just let us know what you decide & we'll give you current phone #'s, fax #'s, or address (he's moved out of the Toyota dealership into the owner's nearby Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership to get himself some more desk space & elbow room).

Hope that this can work to your advantage. Let us know if we can help.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi Ken,

I signed for everything on February 4, 2006.. I believe the contract says I have 60 days to cancel (it was either that or for my prepaid maintenance.. I can't remember). Its cutting it quite close and I will be out of town during the cross over time. Sometimes I wonder where my value of money went.. :oops:

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
There are a lot of immoral dealers out there. Fortunately for the rest of us they are mostly on the West coast from Cal on up to Wash and Oregon. I didn't even know this was a negotialable item. My dealer just thought it might be a good thing to have on the hybrid and offered it to me for $875.

Also I have heard of no East Coast dealers who have ever asked for over MSRP since day one of the 04's.

Maybe it's the way they are "brought up" but then I do sort of remember purchasers at these inflated prices defending the dealers rights.

I sure would never use one of them for any service. Obviously, untrustworthy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I guess my question would be this then.. if the TFS website says $1650 for MSRP, why would dealerships sell it for around $950 (what you guys are saying)? I would think something rather fishy from that..

·
Registered
92 Posts
hyperion said:
Also I have heard of no East Coast dealers who have ever asked for over MSRP since day one of the 04's.

Maybe it's the way they are "brought up" but then I do sort of remember purchasers at these inflated prices defending the dealers rights.

I sure would never use one of them for any service. Obviously, untrustworthy.
I would like to respectfully disagree on this last point. I am one of the people who paid a premium for the luxury of not waiting. I bought at a new_dealership, hence no list of waiting buyers. At no point did my salesman mislead me. He stated right up front that the car would cost over MSRP. It was my choice to accept the deal and I have not regretted it since. A co-worker who was on a waiting list (at a dealer who charges MSRP) just got the car she wanted, nine months after I was able to have mine. The term "untrustworthy" implies incompetence or deceit. My dealer was neither incompetent nor deceptive. I have also found this dealer's service department to be very accommodating so far, they turned my alarm on for free. I have no reason so far not to trust them but if in the future I do, I promise I will share.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Phish Phood said:
I guess my question would be this then.. if the TFS website says $1650 for MSRP, why would dealerships sell it for around $950 (what you guys are saying)? I would think something rather fishy from that..
You haven't heard of dealers selling cars way under MSRP? Same concept, except they get a better margin on the warranty.

Specifically with Troy, he is reliable. He made a deal with PriusChat. I have heard no bad reports about him. Just don't tell your dealer about him, or he may stop offering the deal.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
There are probably a dozen dealers in New England selling the platinum warranties for well less than a thousand dollars. They call it customer relations. Other dealers give lifetime free oil changes and still others a lifetime of free tires. You will drive more than a few miles to deal with these type of people. As for the others, "the word gets passed around."
They s#*@! you on a warranty or a MSRP cost then look darn close who you want to deal with for any type of service or any recommendations for a car dealer. These are the same people who will try to charge you $100.00 for a 5,000 mile check.

·
Registered
289 Posts
hyperion said:
There are probably a dozen dealers in New England selling the platinum warranties for well less than a thousand dollars.
My cousin is a GM at a Toyota dealership, and my Dad is one of the old guys who DXs cars between dealerships, so he is there quite often and asked the warranty question for me, as in how much does the dealer make on these transactions... from what I was told, the dealer cost is somewhere under $800 (Rickey never answered this question when several asked it) so if you as a consumer can buy it for $950-$1,000 well I guess that's a fair price (totally subjective, but seems fair to me as the dealer should turn some profit, just not a killing), but for a dealer (like the one I bought from) to tell me it was $2,000 for the platinum warranty, well you can see why they smile and wave as you leave that finance office.

hyperion said:
These are the same people who will try to charge you $100.00 for a 5,000 mile check.
Exactly, which lets the service manager also get a smile and wave in as well.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Ct. Ken V said:
Now I need help for her from the rest of you guys : How long does she have from the sign'g to change her mind or cancel, & just what kind of penalty ($$?) would she be facing?

Also, would Toyota Financial frown on a cancellation & repurchase (think'g she can't make up her mind) & refuse to put through the repurchase (at the cheaper $990 price)? I know it's available still for $990 (it just went up from $985 on Oct 1st) because I just got mine last Friday (put in application, actual contract should come in about 4 weeks) at 12,600 miles from Troy Dietrich in Massachusetts. This is the Toyota Extra Care Platinum 7yr/100,000mi extended warranty.
I've heard of several people who cancelled their policies (often sold to them for far over the MSRP) and then re-ordered through one of the recommended dealers for the low ~$990 price without much problems.

Although I do have some updating to do on it, http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html does list the penalties for cancelling your policy.

mrv said:
[info taken from http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/65499 and http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/65519 ]

Cancellations

Cancelling your Toyota Extra Care Platinum plan (extended warranty vehicle service agreement):

Should you decide that you want your money back on your warranty (decided it was not a good deal, or you are selling your car to a dealer), you have the right to cancel your warranty for a refund.

Within the first 30 days following the Agreement Application date, if no benefits have been paid, you will be refunded the Agreement Purchase Price, minus a $25 processing/cancellation fee. (For those who bought a warranty for far over MSRP, then find this document and get a really good deal on a replacement warranty, the $25 processing fee may be worth it, if your dealer will not refund you entirely.)

In all other cancellation cases (less than 30 days but there has been a claim, or over 30 days with no claim), you will be given a pro-rata refund based on the elapsed time or mileage (whichever means less $) from the in-service date/mileage of your vehicle (NOT the date/mileage you purchased the agreement), minus a $25 processing/cancellation fee. So, for an example (numbers made up):

You buy a 6/100,000 policy for a 1-year, 11-month old Prius for $1000.

In 30 days, you wish to cancel the policy. You have had no claims on it, since you are still under the factory warranty. You are still within the grace period, so you are refunded $975 ($1000 - $25 processing fee).

In comparison, at 31 days, you wish to cancel the policy. You have had no claims on it, since you are still under the factory warranty. The car is now 2 years old, with only 4 years remaining on the 6 year policy. 4/6 = 66% of the policy is remaining. 66% of the original purchase price of $1000 is $660. Subtract the $25 processing fee, and you get back $635. (Assuming that time had the smaller refund compared to mileage, computed simarily.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Platinum from Ron Gannaway was the REAL deal

I just picked up my 2006 Prius from Tustin Toyota [California] and had done some homework on the costs of the Platinum Warranty. My dealer offered it to me for $2,200 and also stated that I would be ineligible once I signed the paperwork and walked out the door. Obviously, Tustin Toyota was outright lying to me as you can still purchase the warranty up to about 36,000 miles [don't quote me].

I thought that calling Ron Gannaway from Crown Automotive in Kansas would be a huge scam but it was not and he did as was stated. Asked for some demographics and overnighted me the paperwork. I sent it back and he called to get my credit card information and charged me $940!

The reason I've left this post is because I was unconvinced about this guy until I read somebody else's post. I also promised him I would leave positive feedback about this transaction.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts