Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Well, I was finally given my dream car as a combination Christmas/birthday present by my wonderful parents for my 17th birthday this morning! I am ecstatic. The purchasing process was fairly painless and I've been driving "Kep" (the first three letters of my tag) all day.

Kep is an 07 Silver Package 5 (everything but leather seats, which I detest)!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I'm jealous too. I didn't even get the entire purchase of a late model used car for my college graduation present.

Though I am grateful for what my parents did do for me for my graduation, and everything else they have done for me during my life. After all, they paid for most of my college costs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Beautiful car! Happy Birthday and merry Christmas! Let us know how your mileage is on the '07. When I turned 17 my car was a used 1966 Plymouth Baracuda, valued then at $200. I sold it when it was in pretty good cosmetic condition for $800 a few years later. If I'd kept it and sold it now I could easily buy each of my kids a new Prius! :!:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the nice replies! I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad - I know I'm incredibly lucky. I do live in, I suppose, a nice area where most kids do get new cars when they start driving. I only hope that my car will serve me well (I'll be taking great care of it) and that I can drive safely at all times.

I do have one question - I need to get a cell phone cord. Should I be looking for something specific for my phone, or specific for the car? Or are they all pretty general?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Geez, I had to pay $400 of my own money for my first car (a 1968 Chevy Impala bought in 1981). My parents lent me money for college but I paid them back for that. I must admit, I'm more generous with my own kids but, now that I think about it, making it with very little assistance gave me great satisfaction. Perhaps I might run the risk of depriving them of that.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
That's awesome...congrats, it's a beauty...you'll never forget it. I was lucky enough on my 20th birthday to be given by my father a new '68 Pontiac Firebird 400. I will never forget that. But the other thing that's ironic is how these two cars are my all time faves even though they're the exact polar opposites, not only in their characteristics but the time frames they're in and how different those times are. I'm pretty sure if I were 17 or 20 today, the Prius is the car I would have had literature on and pictures all over the walls of my room and dreaming of having, not some "performance" (in the old sense) machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
redwein said:
Geez, I had to pay $400 of my own money for my first car (a 1968 Chevy Impala bought in 1981). My parents lent me money for college but I paid them back for that. I must admit, I'm more generous with my own kids but, now that I think about it, making it with very little assistance gave me great satisfaction. Perhaps I might run the risk of depriving them of that.
Eh, don't get me wrong, they gave me a hard time about it for many months. It wasn't just a "I want a car!" "Okay!" sort of thing at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my first Prius today (year 2007 paid by me).

My very first car was a '41 plymouth in '50. Spent every penny I had saved from my paper route and being a soda jerk in a drug store.

The reason for spending all my money was that my then girfriend's family moved from nearby. She and I have been married for 52 years now and still happy. We kind of brought each other up!

Best of luck with your new car. Make your parents proud of all you do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Grady said:
I do have one question - I need to get a cell phone cord. Should I be looking for something specific for my phone, or specific for the car? Or are they all pretty general?
That's a gorgeous car. Congratulations! By "cord" do you mean an auto charger? If so, you need one specifically for your cell phone. I got mine at a flea market for $5 and it works beautifully. The Verizon store wanted $39.95 and Wal Mart wanted $29.95.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
janets98 said:
Grady said:
That's a gorgeous car. Congratulations! By "cord" do you mean an auto charger? If so, you need one specifically for your cell phone. I got mine at a flea market for $5 and it works beautifully. The Verizon store wanted $39.95 and Wal Mart wanted $29.95.
Yup, that's what I meant. I actually picked up the iPod connector yesterday for $4 yesterday and it works fine. I noticed some people were complaining about the audio system in the Prius, but I actually think it is incredible. And I'm somewhat of an audiophile. Yeah, I still have to buy the auto charger...but for now I can live without it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
LittleLamb said:
Beautiful car! Happy Birthday and merry Christmas! Let us know how your mileage is on the '07. When I turned 17 my car was a used 1966 Plymouth Baracuda, valued then at $200. I sold it when it was in pretty good cosmetic condition for $800 a few years later. If I'd kept it and sold it now I could easily buy each of my kids a new Prius! :!:
Similar story, but one of my early cars was a '55 Chevy convertible, bought in '62. I got $500 for it trading in on a new '63 Corvair Monza. In good shape today, that Chevy would bring enough to buy three Prius!
"Would'a, shoud'a, could'a," goes the old saying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.