Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this board for the last month or so as I prepare to buy. But I have a few questions and hopefully some of you can help :)

packages? what's the deal? Toyota has all six on their site but I'm being told that only packaged 1, 3, and 6 are available for 2005 models. Is this true? Is it a southern california regional problem? or is this information simply erroneous?

I'm indifferent as to the NAV, but really I want the VSC (so package 4) but if only package 6 is available with it, then it becomes an issue of paying the 4K+ difference between #3 and #6...

The other question is price. I know what the list, MSRP and wholesale prices are on these cars for both the base model and the packages. I had what I thought was a hookup via a friend who works for Toyota corporate, but the fleet manager they set me up w/ quoted me full price, 29k out the door (tax incl.) for a #6, and said all he could do was jump me to the "front of the line"...now given that Fremont S.F. toyota is constantly saying on this site that they have 20+ coming or on site, is there still a waiting list, or is this guy just full of it?

I'm talking to my credit union advisor tomorrow to see what deal they can get, is it unreasonable to think I can pay $24K in cash for a #6 (roughly 27 w/ tax)???

thanks for your help,

-s

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Toyota is making all 6 packages for the US for 2005. However, each Toyota region only picks about 3-4 of those packages to order. So, it is possible that there are only 3 packages available from your dealer.

If you have your heart set on a package, and it isn't a standard package from your dealer/region, either look into getting a Prius from outside of your region, or see if your dealer will special-order you the package that you want (but you'll probalby have to wait for it).

as for waiting lists, it depends on the dealer. some dealers in some locations have long waiting lists, while at some other dealerships they're getting in more cars than they have orders for. Some dealers don't do lists, and just sell them off the lot. Best bet is to call around to shorten your wait time.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Be very sure the Prius is the car you want and just have to have right now. There are an awfull lot of tremendous car buys right now for less than twenty thousand dollars. At five dollars a gallon even, that extra nine thousand dollars will buy you a ton of miles before you even approach brreaking even so if it's just gas savings you are looking for check what else is available.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Second that. Prius is not the way to minimize the cost of ownership. Along with accepting the added cost of buying new rather than used, buyers should be people who care about clean air or petroleum use, or who geek out on the technology.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't see where the original poster said anything about buying one to minimize expense...

My experience, and I was shopping in the short golden period before the gas prices went up again and most dealers had several Prii on the lot, was that it was relatively easy to get list price but not below. So in the current even hotter market, I doubt you'll get below list. I was able to get a good break on my trade-in by being willing to walk out the door, but that's as far as the dealing went, other than getting the finance guy to match my CU rate so I could drive off the lot with less hassle.

You may not have much choice if you want to drive off the lot with a car... white and Pkg 6 seems to be what most dealers have on hand at this point. I stopped by the dealership with my SO to pick up a sunshade for his truck and when I parked my Prius out front the sales guys were all over me, "Where did you buy that?", "Here, from YOU in fact!", "Really? When was that? I haven't seen one that color in forever!" . I went with Pkg 6 for the same reason as the original poster -- I wanted the VSC -- but I actually find I'm getting a lot of good use out of the Nav system and voice commands. OK, some of it is geeky fun, but the Nav has proven exceedingly useful on a couple of occasions. My SO wanted the upgraded stereo. So if you can afford Pkg 6 at list, you may enjoy your new car even more....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx

thanks for the info. I'm actually looking for a white Prius, so that being the most prevalent color available shouldn't be a problem :)

as for cost of ownership, my daily driver right now is a Porsche, so almost anything would be a reduction in cost of ownership for me!

I'm looking to garage the Porsche and want a reliable daily driver with four doors and decided that the economic factors of the Prius outweighed the performance factors of say a G35 or S4, (and I've already got a sportscar) not to mention the Prius has a ton more room inside than either of those cars.

I do think the Nav tech is cool, but I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing the significant cost increase of something I kinda want, but don't need (NAV/Bluetooth), nor in looking around for the best deal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shaun944, we took delivery of a white #4 package about a month ago. The dealers are saying things to try to convince you to order a car that is easiest for them. What has been said is correct - certain packages and colors are targeted for certain areas. If you want a color and a package that are exclusive to other areas of the country, you can do it; but you'll either have to travel or wait. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I passed up a dealer with a long waiting list and drove to another about 50 mi. away. Ordered a #6 Prius. When asked what color, my wife and I looked at the options and, to reduce waiting time, said any color. Asked about payment, we opted to buy it cash for MRSP. They hit the phones and found a Driftwood another 50 mi. further away. My wife said that would have been her preference anyway, so we ordered it and they said they would have it serviced and ready the next morning.

By the way, we really paid cash as we had paid for our previious car 6 yrs ago and kept on making the payments to ourselves. The auto nest egg had ballooned to the pt where we could affort a cash payment. This also really caught their attention.

The next day we drove it out, paying MRSP. Love it! A really good car!!

If you really want one, look around at dealers as far away as you are comfortable with.

Oh yes, the techie in me opted for the nav and we have found it very useful several times when trying to find a unfamiliar location in an unfamiliar town or looking for alternate routes to places. Besides, it's fun!!!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Just a couple points to make about financing. There isn't any financial advisor that would advise you to pay cash for anything like a car if you can finance it for less than four percent. Anyone can make more than six per-cent on your money today and the financial guy at my Toyota dealer told me that if you have excellent credit (they can check in less than three minutes) they would rather finance the car. (they make more profit on the vehicle) and he offered me 3.2% to keep me from using the 3.75% already approved by my credit union. New cars are a snap to finance at lower rates.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
First off, all packages are available in the U.S. It was mentioned that regions pick 3 or 4 packages to stock, but that doesn't mean that a package they are not ordering for stock is not available to you on "special order". It is a matter of finding a dealer who will locate the package and color combination you want. So, if you have your heart set on a #4 in a color other than what seems most prevalent (I believe you mentioned white) then you should request that and request a combination of lot search and also an in-transit search and a production search. Toyota dealers can find your specific car on another lot, on the ship in transit to the U.S. and they can even find it before it has been made, but is in the production schedule to be made. If you find a dealer who is willing to do this, you have probably found a very customer oriented dealer. Points to you and a lot less headaches when you close the transaction.

Opinion: A vehicle is too expensive and capital intensive to just take whatever the dealer is willing to hand you. You are ponying up the big bucks, now and over time for this purchase and as such you should demand to get exactly what you want. Do not pay over MSRP. Toyota has built in plenty of profit for its dealers in the MSRP, and definitely do not pay over MSRP if you have your financing done through the dealer's finance office. Extended warranties are not a bad thing so long as you don't pay too much for it. The price the dealer's finance officer gives you will be way too high in most instances. Make sure you go into the finance office with numbers in hand. Make sure the dealer you are working with knows that you are coming armed with prices and specs on the vehicle and extended warranties (if so applicable) Check out the pricing on extended on http://www.priuschat.com/ It is very competitive. Stand firm on wimpy accessories. If the dealer or finance officer tries to bundle them into the vehicle by force, walk out of the deal. Dealer accessories are full of profit for the dealership and the dealer's commission. Avoid them at all costs!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
OT :shock:

hyperion said:
Just a couple points to make about financing. There isn't any financial advisor that would advise you to pay cash for anything like a car if you can finance it for less than four percent. Anyone can make more than six per-cent on your money today and the financial guy at my Toyota dealer told me that if you have excellent credit (they can check in less than three minutes) they would rather finance the car. (they make more profit on the vehicle) and he offered me 3.2% to keep me from using the 3.75% already approved by my credit union. New cars are a snap to finance at lower rates.
Well, I know I'm going to make somebody mad, but it has to be stated...

How many financial advisors are not compensated on a commission, partial commission or large yearly, half-yearly, or quarterly bonus basis? Not very many. And all of these compensation methods are based upon bringing in assets to their organization, maintaining assets in the organization and retaining assets in said organization. So, If I have a lot of my personal wealth run through a financial advisor, of course they are going to balk when I wish to cash out stock, or mutual funds or whatever so that I can go out and purchase a vehicle. If I pull out funds to make that large of a purchase cash, that reduces the portfolio value for that advisor and can have a negative impact, maybe a significant impact, on their bonus or commission.

So, they will give out a bunch of lines about paying interest to a lender, but making more on investments and the margin between the two works in your favor.

Well folks, when it is all said and done at the end of the day, if you make a purchase of anything that money doesn't make you money anymore, it goes to somebody else in exchange for what you have purchased. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Given my conservative nature financially, a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. A car without a lien or debt is better than one that has a lien and debt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts